CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common !

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

BBF 352 Interceptor runabout motor complete with BW 71c

May 11 2012 at 12:30 PM
Tom Slayton  (no login)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Re: BBF 352 Interceptor runabout motor complete with BW 71c

May 15 2012, 12:26 PM 

That's a sweet deal, but he won't ship. sad.gif

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Really would not take all that much to get that on a pallet

May 15 2012, 1:02 PM 

I recently boxed an expensive Austrian-made stainless steel Remus Exhaust for shipping and I decided to just use a 1x1 frame and 1/4" plywood. Here is the masterpiece. When the guy on the other end got the package he was pretty astounded, but I thought the price he paid warranted a little care on my end, and everyone was happy because it arrived in good shape. I told him in advance he would need a screw gun to get into the box when it arrived, ha !

[linked image]
[linked image]
This only weighed in around 50 pounds.

Regarding a motor, I would use 2x6 base in the typical pallet design so a fork lift could handle it easily, and 2x4 sides, and 1/2" CDX to box it up and keep those valuable pieces from being dinged during handling. Only real logistics would be getting fork lift or other device to load it into a suitable hauling truck, and then off the the shipping depot. I suppose you could offer him $100 or $150 to box it up for you? happy.gif That's about what it would take for me to go through the motions. Probably would take fifty bucks worth of plywood and lumber.

By the way, it took about $30 to ship my box to Houston from Nashville using Federal Express ground. In the past I have shipped a 175-pound marine transmisson for about the same price betweeen Nashville and Florida, but that was on a different kind of drop ship to a commercial loading dock, etc.

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Craig
(no login)

Re: Really would not take all that much to get that on a pallet

May 16 2012, 12:59 PM 

Thanks! I've got a rare Century Coronado Express Cruiser (they built one, in 1960). I needs everything and has an AMC engine. As I'm a Ford guy thru and thru, a fellow Century owner suggested I build an fe like what was available in 1960. A 250hp 352.

This looks a bargain, but I might just find a frozen 352, and build a 428 for it. I've got a couple spare 428 short blocks in the garage. Assuming I "get" to the boat.

But this looks like a deal, especially with the new price.

Craig

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Auction is being run again eh?

May 16 2012, 1:28 PM 

Growing up on Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania, it soon became evident to me as a kid between the age around 8 to 16 that the Century boats had something different going on. The Chris Craft boats were all cool, I loved the sounds of the flatheads, but the Century boats had something rather wicked about them, and it was the sound of the motors. Century had a reputation of using big V8 power and this 352 is an example of a husky engine with lots of torque.

It is funny what you remember as a kid, but I remember hearing the Scripps V12 of MISS CONNEAUT running on the opposite shore on a foggy morning, and then I also remember a certain Century Raven, black hull lapstrake, that had some kind of a hot V8 motor and that was one of THE fastest boats on the lake. I always wondered what it had for power. At the time it could have been a 427 but more likely a hi-po 390.

Nothing like growing up on or near the water!

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - BBF 352 Interceptor runabout motor complete with BW 71c
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.