CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

~~~~~LIVE~~~~~ From Buffalo Launch Club !! ~~~~~~~

September 7 2013 at 12:00 AM
Paul  (no login)

Well it was quite the day getting up at 3:00 AM CST and then having a five (5) hour delay in Detroit, finally hopping onto another flight
and making our way to Buffalo.

As we walked in the front door of the hotel we saw Herb and Carol standing there with the general manager of the hotel, who they introduced
to Janet and me.

We finally made our way to the Buffalo Launch Club and WOW, nice place, awesome boats already, and we ran into a LOT of people from
THE FORUM including Matt Taylor, Rich Duane, Craig Lindberg, Mark Smith, Chris Smith, Herb Pocklington, Norm and Jim Wangard of
Classic Boating, and numerous others who will show up in subsequent postings.

Here are a few photos to set the tone so far............. and I must say, we didn't take ten big steps onto the property before we spotted
an IMMACULATE (in every sense of the word) XK-19 and sure enough, Forum Member Lindberg was already on the scene with a much better
camera than mine. We will await these images.

Very interesting XK-22
[linked image]

This particular 1969 Commander won "BEST OF SHOW, PRESERVED ORIGINAL", owned by Dick DeFazio (edit update, now that we know it was a
winner after the Saturday night awards banquet happy.gif )
[linked image]

[linked image]

A very nice 42 SC docking, owned by Mike Utzig.
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This 1969 Commander also won THIRD PLACE, CLASSIC RUNABOUT CATEGORY, this one is Mark Smith's MARK-I, that Chris Smith gave him as a
birthday present when he turned 16 years old.
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

The Lindberg's !!
[linked image]

Craig meets Chis Smith !!
[linked image]

Dick DeFazio, 1969 V-drive Commander owner and winner of BEST OF SHOW, ...... BUSTED ....., at the desert bar.
Friends, I hesitate to say this, but we don't think this was his first trip to the desert bar.
[linked image]

A rather dirty XK-19 motor, sheesh, some people should take more pride in their workmanship.
Actually this boat won BEST OF SHOW, and I can say this now having attended the awards banquet (this comment is edited in) but I am
awaiting good images from Craig Lindberg, who photographed this boat in detail with a "real camera".
[linked image]

[linked image]

And the prop that made it go !
[linked image]

Herb and Carol having some fun after dinner with the guys and gals. Despite being injured in a bomb blast in Iraq, being run over by
a hit-and-run shopper at Publix, and then totaling his Jaguar less than a week ago, Herb got doctors approval to attend this event,
and I think you can see from the image this was a good thing.
[linked image]

All said and done, it was a really great day to meet new friends and see old ones again. We ran into the Wangard boys, who incidently
are featured in my program tomorrow, and they don't know it yet, lol.

Stay tuned, we'll be uploading a lot more material later.

best,

Pauo

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Sep 24, 2013 1:27 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Chad
(no login)

Kid in a Candy Shop

September 7 2013, 6:43 AM 

It's great to see Commander Super Sports and XKs in ANY condition. I love seeing how others tackle the details of restoring to original, or in my opinion, "improving" upon the design. I dream of the day when we see 7-8 of them at a show, lined up like barrelbacks. A glass boat may seem like an easy restoration at first, but the amount of work that goes into getting them to this level of quality is mind-blowing. Thanks Paul for the coverage, keep the photos coming!

I dig the spring-assisted hatches! I may have to borrow that idea.

Respond to this message   
Mike W
(no login)

Battleship Row

September 7 2013, 8:42 AM 

Love to see the representation of many models. That 19 XK, or is it an SS, is immaculate. Right down to the original hatch supports that are usually long gone on most boats and impossible to find. Chad, we'll make your dream happen someday. Promise. Mine WILL be done this winter.

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

More from Buffalo !

September 7 2013, 4:52 PM 

Well I'm in the hotel room getting ready for the evening dinner program, and I am managing to upload a few photos I took earlier
in the day. The fun is continuing now, sky is clear, more fun scheduled for tomorrow !! Boats did get a bit wet but it was during
our program(s) so that worked out okay for some people and not okay for others. Generally a little rain water won't hurt a boat.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

regards,

Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Sep 24, 2013 1:29 PM

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

News FLASH, Commanders win big at the awards banquet !!

September 8 2013, 8:00 AM 

In a stunning turn-around of history at Buffalo Launch Club, a FIBERGLASS BOAT wins BEST OF SHOW (in the Preserved Runabout class)!!!!
Dick DeFazio's stunning black 19-foot Commander SS of 1969 won the top award, Mark Smith's 1969 Commander SS won a third place, and a
great looking XK-22 also won (see details in later postings).

Due to my set-up and digital program responsibililties I spent a lot of time inside coordinating the details so I don't have as many
photos as I normally would, but good news, Craig Lindberg does !!!!!

I'm heading out to breakfast now, will upload some more photos later in the day. We're getting ready to do the "Around Grand Island"
run, which is 22 miles, and the scene of MANY a power boat race in the past. Photos on the way from that too.

regards,

Paul

Herb Pocklington and fiance Carol Jose
[linked image]

Forum Members, Craig and Cyndi Lindberg at the awards banquet Saturday!
[linked image]

Dick DeFazio, award winning 19-foot Commander
[linked image]

From left to right: Herb Pocklington, your forum host, and Chis Smith
[linked image]

A little timing light action earlier in the day
[linked image]

More photos coming later !!

Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Mar 4, 2017 12:16 AM

Respond to this message   

Craig Judge
(Login craigjudge)

Best of show!

September 8 2013, 8:14 AM 

That's an amazing accomplishment. What's really interesting to me is that I do not recall seeing this boat on the forum prior to these show photos. Makes you wonder how many more Lancers, Commanders, and Corsairs are out there being lovingly restored that we are all unaware of. Very cool!

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Best of Show

September 8 2013, 1:44 PM 

The gent (Jerry) BALD EAGLE who just gave us an exciting ride said "this is the first time" fiberglass ever won here.
The judges saw nothing but I did, ha. The distributor had a vac advance that was deactivated, some judge could have taken issue w that (see the motor photos I posted). Boat was otherwise flawless other than some minor cosmetic issues that were not 100-percent authentic if you REALLY want to get snooty

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Jerry
(Login jerrycnamken)

Commander Row!!!!

September 8 2013, 5:00 PM 

Paul and All:
Thanks for the posts! While not as good as being there, it still soothes the boatitus that I am suffering from! I really liked the shot of Commander row, giving me recall to the Huron show and the wonderful Commanders there. Herb looks great and I miss visiting with him.

In addition to the CCCs, be sure to post some of the other boats there that the best of show beat out, just so everyone knows how high the bar has been raised. The timing photo made the hair on the back of my neck stand up like incoming fire. What a hoot!

Jerry, back in town from OBX.

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

More photos !!

September 8 2013, 6:00 PM 

Nice morning at the BLC

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Here is BALD EAGLE, a 1959 24 Sportsman that originally came with a 283, now powered by a 318 Chrysler with 220 horsepower.
The boat is owned and captained by Jerry Bergdorf ! I like this big utility a lot, three rows of seats, lots of room, seats nine a
nd still can make 40-mph according to the literature of the day.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Here is award winning SUITE 64
[linked image]

Here are Gaetana and David Schueckler aboard SUITE 64, early 1964 Commander, #9 off the assembly line.
[linked image]

Here is my Janet standing next to Chris Craft Commander 38 Express #9 of 1964.
[linked image]

Janet with owner Dave Schueckler
[linked image]

Aluminum Roamer taking off with a pair of 283 motors !!
[linked image]

[linked image]

NIRVANA, 35 COMMANDER
[linked image]

Here is Michele and Bill Flaglor, aboard INDEPENDENCE, who may actually be the first people to ever win an award with a
38 Express here at Buffalo Launch Club. This year they snatched the #3 position in the Classic Cruiser category, and that's
a pretty nice catch guys!
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Regads,

Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Sep 24, 2013 1:35 PM

Respond to this message   

Paul
(Premier Login FEfinaticP)
Owner

More photos from Grand Island

September 8 2013, 7:29 PM 

Coming to you direct from the hotel.......more photos

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Our intrepid Captain aboard BALD EAGLE, Jerry Bergdorf !
Thanks for the ride Jerry, it was great to get out and we love the boat.
[linked image]

[linked image]

Here is Captain Jerry and yours truely
[linked image]

Here is that 24 Sportsman out of the water !
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   

Craig Judge
(Login craigjudge)

Best of Show Winner

September 9 2013, 10:37 AM 

Im curious to know more about the winner and what the judging criteria was. The boat looks black in the photos which I dont recall ever seeing as being original. Also, the motor has a lot of non factory color treatment to it and non original parts. She looks beautiful non the less and I'd like to see more. Ive been around judging for cars for a long time but not classic boats so I'm curious what criteria was looked at for judging ie, originality, preservation, workmanship, etc.
I'm not in any way trying to take away anything from the winners accomplishment. The boat is phenomenal. That being said, I think if a few of us could have made the logistics work and were able to get our boats to Buffalo, there could have been a Lancer/XK clean sweep of win/place/show. Thoughts Paul?

Edit comment: Craig was correct on the fact that I incorrectly posted the XK-19 as the BEST OF SHOW WINNER, when in fact it did win an award, but the all original and correct black 1969 Commander SS won the BEST OF SHOW.

happy.gif

Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Mar 3, 2017 11:52 PM

Respond to this message   
Eric Jensen
(no login)

The gears must be turning

September 9 2013, 11:24 AM 

.. in the heads of at least a few people who own wood boats that can now see that there is a lot to appreciate in some of these older fiberglass models. I send my congratulations to the winner with his beautiful entry. It was an uphill battle I'm sure. I would also commend the judges for what was a bold choice which surely subjected them to some raised eyebrows.
Eric

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

I will request the complete win list when it becomes available

September 9 2013, 12:14 PM 

I agree w the motor comments, the rest of the boat was so stunning it overcame those issues, like the raw brass unpainted thermostat housing, which would have been painted. Raised eyebrows, yes probably, but this one looked good next to virtually ANYTHING. Waiting on Craig's photos, you will see.

happy.gif

Paul

Respond to this message   
Mike W
(no login)

Motors

September 9 2013, 2:32 PM 

I'm a little confused about the xk19 motor comments. There is only one picture of the motor that I saw which is a partial shot with the hatch open. It looks like your basic 327Q. The images of the other motor from inside the boat appears to be custom work, very nice, and on the xk22.

Doesn't really matter. All the boats looked great. Paul, thank you for your and others continued efforts and motivation.

Mike

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Motor photos

September 9 2013, 3:56 PM 

Mike the motors in my very first posting belong in the winning XK-19

Regards

Paul

Respond to this message   

Craig Judge
(Login craigjudge)

Not sure about that

September 9 2013, 4:44 PM 

It looks as if the motor shown is indeed to the xk-22. The 19 wouldnt have those hinges and the boat appears to be white. I was going by the photo caption myself. Good catch!

Respond to this message   

Craig L
(Login clindberg)

BLC 2013 Show Winner Photo Gallery

September 9 2013, 6:23 PM 

EDIT NOTE.....these images can and will be restored, as soon as I find some "spare time" happy.gif Paul

Very hard to describe just how fantastic, fun and enjoyable a time it was for us in Buffalo and at the BLC/ACBS Event. Great to meet our Forum curator and members who made the trek. I've got 415 photos and some video that I just downloaded so bear with me on the posting. Here are photos of the incredible Show Winner that Paul has mentioned. I thought I was a fanatic about detail but this boat left me shaking my head in dismay. This is beyond better than factory. Enjoy!

[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original
[linked image]~original

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Sep 9, 2017 12:43 PM

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

GREAT PHOTO DOCUMENTATION (of the winner ! )

September 9 2013, 7:53 PM 

Many thanks Craig, fabulous back-up at the show, really appreciate the detail shots. This guy came to win.

Regards

Paul

Respond to this message   
Craig L
(no login)

Re: GREAT PHOTO DOCUMENTATION (of the winner ! )

September 9 2013, 9:03 PM 

UPDATE: When Photobucket changed their policy we "lost" some images like these, but wait........we still have them.........archived........and we will add them back when we find some spare time. Regards, Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a blast doing it and we can credit the photo quality to those two gorgeous women adorning the shots 8-)
More to come!

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Sep 1, 2017 8:10 PM

Respond to this message   

Jim
(Login 36TFisher)

WOW!

September 9 2013, 9:54 PM 

That is all I have to say happy.gif

Well I have to add that I love the hood hinges for the engine bay.... and actually the boot stripe sloping up toward the bow... and the tiny red hand painted accent stripe... don't forget that Chris Craft logo above the outdrive...(mine originally said Chrysler)... and the intake manifold... don't forget the perfectly detailed exhaust manifolds with the corvette logos... well damn it just about everything!

Mike W get your trailer queen on the road and win some shows for us!!

Jim

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied. Search Feature