CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Photos of my 1968 corsair sea v 20 inboard project

November 22 2013 at 12:30 PM
Mark  (Login mrtonkin)

More pictures.

[linked image]

[linked image]

edit comment: Title revised to draw attention to the subject.

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Sep 17, 2017 8:59 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Paul
(no login)

It's a project !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking good by the way.

November 22 2013, 3:46 PM 

Well that cut on the transom is interesting. Lapping the right roving and fabric with a good saturation of resin can bring it back in good shape. I trust you found some rotted plywood used to reinforce the transom.

I see a nice reinforced windshield here, with the lower operable sections. That's a better design than my Skiff with the whole window opening, becuase it wants to flex more. I also see chromed intake scoops, where my Skiff has built in fiberglass intake scoops, but still has aft exhaust chromed scoops like yours. I also see a big floor lever, how cool is THAT, so the side throttle lever is just for throttle. Very cool.

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Mark
(Login mrtonkin)

more pics

December 2 2013, 9:32 AM 

New floors and such

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

I'll have some more this week. Getting close to the end of the project. Love this boat, can't wait to see how she cruises.

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Sep 17, 2017 9:03 AM

Respond to this message   

Paul
(Premier Login FEfinaticP)
Owner

Nice work !!

December 2 2013, 9:49 AM 

Hey looking good.

I love the old style lever for the transmission. The flywheel forward 283 used a transmission that was well suited to that system. Makes it so easy to manuver at the docks because you can pull back just enough to slip the bands a bit. With my system it is almost always IN or OUT fully, no slipping for control purposes with the fully huydraulic. That happens to be the exact same part I have on a 1956 Chris-Craft, which is probably the exact same part found on some other much older boats.

So help me here, I don't see engine stringers, and I can't remember if we had this discussion or whether it was with some other boat owner. I do know the later series Corsair moved from the early series wood engine stringer I have in my 1966 20-foot Corsair Division Sea Skiff, which was prone to cracking, but later changed to an all fiberglass system that was much more secure over the long term. Either you have the later fiberglass system or your engine stringers are gone.

happy.gif

Work looks very familiar to me, and looks like fun. Enjoy the journey, it's a big part of the fun.

regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Mark
(Login mrtonkin)

engine pics

December 2 2013, 1:53 PM 

The engine mounts to the main 2 fiberglass stingers running down each side of the center line. I had to cut out the rear mounting locations due to extreme rot and rust. The mounts were made of a 1/2 in. steel plate sandwiched in between plywood, I made new ones and glassed them in place. When the engine went in these plates were then drilled and tapped. I used 1/2 in. stainless bolts to anchor it down. Here's a couple engine pics and the finished repair on her rotted rear. Also a picture of that not so common jabsco water pump.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Sep 17, 2017 9:20 AM

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Looking good

December 2 2013, 3:26 PM 

Man that motor mount died a horrible death x 2. It was over-tightened and that is a big NO NO for that style mount whether it is iron or aluminum, they will break. They are only intended to be snugged, not tightened so tight as to pinch the rubber. The iron wedge used with the aluminum mount didn't fare very well either, sheesh.

Hey the motor looks great. It is very similar to the H motor I have but this one has some obvious upgrades in plumbing (mine has no risers), alternator (my generator is driven on the same belt/shaft as the Sherwood 4-port pump), fuel filtration looks good. I can't tell but I suspect you have an iron wedge under that carb.

Good confirmation on the fiberglass stringers. You were spared (by evolution) of the problem wood stringers.

All said and done, that is a fine engine for a boat this size. Will sound awesome and push the boat just fine.

regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Cliff
(Login CliffsCorsair)

Fast and furious

December 4 2013, 5:25 PM 

Mark --

I couldn't resist chiming in on your great postings and photos. You're blasting through this project like a man on a mission -- and that's exactly what you are with these wonderful little boats. Great detail work, by the way. Nothing seems to faze you. It's clear you have one of those unusual "northern climate" heat-riser diaphragm things on the front of your motor, just like mine. The Harpur Marine guy tells me they didn't work and Chris Craft quickly discontinued them. Mine is still on my engine and causes no problems, so I don't mess with it. (Assuming they're new, as they seem to be, it also looks like you had no problem procuring those two oddball 3/4" molded hoses that jump over the alternator and similar on the port side.)

Congrats on your find and your great workmanship.

Regards,

Cliff
'68 Corsair Sea V

Respond to this message   
Dave Krugler
(Login dkrugler)

Wow Mark- this brings back some good memories

December 9 2013, 4:13 PM 

Hey Mark- This looks like a great project and a fun boat. I replaced all the floor structure in my boat except the area from the rear-facing seat under the foredeck. That was plywood and looked great except someone cut a 12" dia. hole thru it to gain access to forward bilge pump plumbing. I wound up taking a scrap of plywood of the same thickness, driving a screw into the center of the scrap to use for a hand-hold, slipped it through the hole and pulled it up tight against the hole where I marked it, then curt a nice fitting piece the exact shape of the hole out on my scroll saw and Gorilla Gluing it into place. After it was sanded and painted you couldn't tell it was repaired. Everything from their back was replaced in oak, mahogany and Hydro-tek marine plywood. It's a process but like George Zimmerman used to say at Men's Wearhouse "You're going to like the way you look" when you are done. Great job on a nice boat.

Dave

Just to the right of the storage locker was an irregular about 12" dia. hole that looked like something you might expect to see in an outhouse LOL. My repair is right under that speeder wrench.
photo P1310018.jpg

[linked image]

photo P2050005.jpg

Respond to this message   
mark
(Login mrtonkin)

nice boat

December 9 2013, 10:39 PM 

Dave, great boat, great workmanship, love the mahogany. It's quite a process but I think it's well worth it.
It's great to see other classics back on the water. What a great ride that boat must be and I'm sure the sound
turns some heads. Thanks for the pics.

Mark

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Fun boat !!

December 10 2013, 11:42 AM 

Some of us have had the pleasure of doing the restoration and then running the boat, both are a lot of fun, and you have something to look forward to when your project goes in the water.

The biggest water we've been on has been out on Old Hickory Lake here in Tennessee, which is a large lake and it can have some pretty significant swells to deal with during heavy cruiser traffic, and of course during windy weather too. The hull has a great ride, but it is not an offshore racer. It has it's limits of course but it's a nice cushion and a very dry ride.

I spoke with one man by phone one evening, who I have forgotten his name due to the passage of many years, who said he had one on one of the Great Lakes, and had it out in six foot seas. I remember his quote however, and he said he would put the rpm at 1900 and just let the hull do its job, cresting the swell. This would be the preferred method to jamming the throttles and busting through, all the while busting stringers, engine mounts, and your bank account. It may be possible to do that with the 24-degree Lancer, but not with the 16-degree Corsair. Even with 16-degrees, Chris-Craft referred to this one as a "deep V" hull.

In any case, very interesting model, we love ours, it gets lots of looks everywhere we go. People drive up and roll the window down and yell "we LOVE your boat" !!

[linked image]
You're going to love the way you look in it, Dave, Cliff, George, and I guarantee it.

Here are some videos I took of our Skiff in action. The boat rides bow high, so you will either need trim tabs or perhaps add some fixed tabs to set the hull where you like to run. You will note on one video I was standing up to get a good view ahead, checking for any debris, etc. The sound of our boat should be virtually identical to yours. One thing for sure, they SOUND vintage because they ARE vintage !!!

Running on Cumberland River, Old Hickory Lake, Tennessee
http://www.youtube.com/embed/2ApwasE-qRI

Start up at Commodore Yacht Club, Cumberland River, Cheatham Lake, Tennessee
http://www.youtube.com/embed/aBM8B0feNLc

Taking off in front of Alan Jackson's fish camp, Cumberland River, Cheatham Lake, Tennessee
http://www.youtube.com/embed/fExajnBvUhI

Going slow on Old Hickory Lake near Cedar Creek Yacht Club.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/YTueLeIOmF8?rel=0

Part of the fun,.

regards,

Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Dec 10, 2013 11:47 AM

Respond to this message   
Kevin Bray
(Login KL_Bray)

Did you hear correctly?

December 10 2013, 12:22 PM 

Are you sure the people are not pulling up, rolling their windows down and yelling 'Hey-someone stole your windshield'?

Ha!

:-p

Thanks!

Kevin Bray
'06 CC Launch 22
FXA-31-4049

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Oooohhhh yeah !

December 10 2013, 12:43 PM 

Maybe they'd yell that in Texas.

However, nobody in their right mind would steal (or buy) one here in Tennessee, lol.

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Dave Krugler
(Login dkrugler)

All ribbing aside

December 10 2013, 2:48 PM 

These old Corsairs are not blazing fast and they don't operate well at altitudes that would require oxygen and cabin pressurization so after careful thought I'm beginning to think Paul is quite wise to skip the windshield. It took me almost as long to restore my windshield as it took to do the rest of the boat. I bet Paul's boat given the exact same power as mine would be 2-3knots/hr faster than my boat since he's not pushing that big brute windshield through the air. Donzis and other similar go-fast boats run minimalist windshields. My 68 Sea Ray 19ft Pachanga had none and at 19ft weighed 2800lbs with a GM 350 truck block sporting Corvette heads pushing a big Merc II drive. It wuould run 65mph if I left the engine hatch sitting on the dock so it could get some fresh air. The Four Winns U-19 had Ford a 351 Windsor engine pushing a heavy duty Volvo duo-prop outdrive but they had no windshield. Hell- all you need then is a tonneau cover with a support pole and you would save a ton on canvas. Paul's approach is a little devious but, umm, practical!

Dave

Respond to this message   

Paul
Owner

I accept the responsibility .............

December 10 2013, 4:25 PM 

..........of being referred to as "a little devious".
Actually I'm comfortable with that, lol.

[linked image]

regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   

Paul
Owner

Link to additional ( PHOTOS ) of this project

September 17 2017, 10:06 AM 

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/thread/1385389799/last-1505656769/View+entire+thread

Due to the fact that these threads can be seperated and "lost" I routinely link threads like this for people doing research.

Regards,
Paul
"\"\""

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied. Search Feature