CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Tavares Boat Show 2014

April 4 2014 at 5:36 PM

Paul  (Premier Login FEfinaticP)
Owner

The text from this image is available below in larger font size.
[linked image]

Man of the hour, Troy Hersom !

Our new-found friend, Troy.
Hey guy, a little bit of kindness goes a long way in this world
and it seems to come easy for you. All the best to you and we
hope to see you again soon.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Okay Troy, this web site seriously gets out to 119 countries each month ,
and with this kind of publicity I would stay near the phone. No sooner did
I post this note did the phone ring and there was some woman on the line
(from Hollywood) wanting to know "Who is that MAN".

Seriously, the three of us really appreciate your kindness and help.
We owe you one so next time you are headed this wey be sure and let us know.
regards,

Paul

In the event the Photo of the Day documentation photo has text too small to read, this is what it says:

PHOTO OF THE DAY EDITORIAL:

One of the things I value the most, is the honorable and positive association with quality people. In boating this seems to be amplified because boating people, for the most part, are good to begin with, and are already in the friendly mode when you meet them. Unlike a first time business meetings where people sometimes wonder about motivation and integrity issues, boating people seem to immediately trust one another and are readily willing to lend a hand (or the shirt off their backs).

Thus is the case with our new friend, Troy Hersom. When we arrived in Tavares last week-end on a whirl-wind tour, meeting at an underground parking garage at 4:30 AM in order to be on the 6:00 AM flight to Orlando, upon arrival we were a little stunned at the weather, all the boats, etc. Because boats were being loaded up and already en route to the luncheon destination at Hickory Point, we just decided we would drive the car over and meet everyone there, and we did. Then at the luncheon, which Sunnyland ACBS hosted in grand fashion by the way, we saw old friends and met new ones, and the word leaked out that we did not have a boat ride. About 15 minutes later Troy walked up (thanks to Paul Harrison apparently whispering something on the side we think, thanks Paul) and announced that he just arranged a U22 ride back to Tavares through the world famous Dora Canal. Wow we thought, but heck I had a rental car to drive back so I couldn√Ęt go, but at least the girls could. Then Jeff Rogers (former President of ACBS) stepped up and offered to drive our car back for us. As a result, we all got a boat ride we will never forget.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this kind of goodness in life. It is what I live for and I am willing to return the favor. As a result, our trip was enhanced immeasurably and we had a wonderful time out on the water with our new-found friends. The photos that will follow in this thread are a part of the trip, check em out. And one other important thing, everyone; if you are not a member of the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club, and the Antique and Classic Boat Society, you should be. Please check out the direct links on our main page here on this forum, and join up. If you are spending money for a tank of gas for your boat, you should also be spending a few bucks to join both of these organizations. The goodness and information you receive back will be much more than you imagine, and they also plan your vacation for you each year (the ACBS annual meetings are always so well done, we always try to go as a week-end get-away.) Check out the following thread to see what membership in CCABC and ACBS can do for you, and then what you can do for them too.
"\"\""

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Jan 19, 2017 6:11 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Paul
(Premier Login FEfinaticP)
Owner

Photos !!

April 4 2014, 6:37 PM 

That blue canopy is where I have my morning coffee in Mt. Dora !
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

And yes there was fiberglass at the show, and the first one of this long series is a 1969 Commander SS.
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

XK-18 with a seriously tweaked 454 (jet boat)
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Here is Don's boat, posted the thread earlier today ( Hi Don!! )
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

And yes, there were los of spectacular wood boats there too

[linked image]

[linked image]

Thank you Helene, for these photos of Janet and me happy.gif

[linked image]

I have to run now, but will upload a lot more photos during the next day or two.

Regards,

Paul

"\"\""

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Sep 4, 2015 9:43 AM

Respond to this message   
Bruce
(Login 427Cuda)

How did you like the guest speaker on Saturday night?

April 5 2014, 7:53 PM 

I've been at several events where Mr. Ralph Meloon has spoken and he's very interesting and inspirational. I hope you got to speak with him.

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

I was disappointed

April 8 2014, 11:13 AM 

Not in the speaker, but due to the fact that we (and that means me + two ladies) decided to duck out the back before the program was over. As a result we had a great evening photo-shoot and had fun, but we missed all the speeches, pomp, and circumstance. I would have enjoyed all that for sure, but the two ladies would not have, so being the gentleman I am, lol, the decision was pretty obvious. A happy wife is a happy life.

Sorry about that,

Regards,

Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Apr 8, 2014 3:06 PM

Respond to this message   
Troy
(Login tkhersom)

Thanks!

April 5 2014, 6:56 AM 

Paul:

Thanks for the kind words, but I really can't take the credit for getting you on a boat.

The real man of the hour is Gerry who organized the riders to and from the picnic and ran the lead boat.

Heck I didn't even have a boat there.

Troy in ME

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Just got another call from Hollywood

April 5 2014, 10:13 AM 

Do you have a manager or agent I can refer these people to!

happy.gif

Regards

Paul

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Okay guys........................................here are PHOTOS .................... !!!

April 8 2014, 1:00 PM 

[linked image]
[linked image]
Here is Matt Smith, the magic behind WOODY BOATER, takking with a woman about fiberglass.
I think I heard someone say "God didn't make any fiberglass trees" but since I was not a
party to that conversation I did not want to intrude, but could not help hear some of it.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

And now guys............for you Ford FE fans, here is a 300-horsepower 390, sitting in a Correct-Craft.
Chris-Craft kept small block GM motors in service in many of their boats, while the likes of Century, Correct-Craft, Higgins, Trojan, and Donzi stepped up to the big dog FE. Of course, Chris-Craft prior to 1966 used the 431 Lincoln, and prior to the 431 used the 430 (same engine different gasket), and some Chrysler hemi and Cadillac engines way back before the FE was introduced in 1958.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Man on the dock looking (Matt Smith, of Woody Boater) "what the heck is thaaaat"?
Man in the orange jacket "that's a fiberglass boat, Matt"
[linked image]

OMG a fiberglass RIVA !!!!!
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

And now the wood RIVA....!
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

See the next posting for more images.....

regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Re: Okay guys.........................here are MORE PHOTOS .................... !!!

April 8 2014, 1:30 PM 

Greavette Streamliner, designed by my friend, Douglas Van Patten
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Don't mess with this guy, he has Boatitis baaaad !
[linked image]

Here's our friend Don
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Boats just starting to arrive now !!
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This was our ride through the Dora Canal, WOW..............no, double wow !!
This boat is owned by William Robbins, otherwise known as Capt. Bill.
283 power and one nice ride even with a group of us chasing ODESSY, an almost identical U22.
[linked image]

[linked image]

I have one of these with 300-horsepower and a little longer foredeck.
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

MORE PHOTOS ~~~~~~~~~~~~ from a real camera !

April 8 2014, 1:33 PM 

Would you believe all of the previous photos were taken with an iPhone?

These were taken from a nice small digital camera.

[linked image]

And yes, the guy with the hat did jump aboard, and that was not good for the finish on the boat nor was it safe at all to do so. No legs in the propeller this time, ahh lucked out again.
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Note: there are 2 different Lymans, one has a lady in a red shirt !!
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This is probably my best photo of the entire show !!!
[linked image]

The chase is on.........actually it wasn't a chase at all. This is just one U22 following another. Thanks again to Captain Bill Robbins for the nice ride. This one is powered (repowered actually) with a nifty period correct 283. Although the 283 was not an option on this boat, it is an old enough and totally respected Chris-Craft engine to be in keeping with the character and provenance of this model of Chris Craft. Nice running big runabout !! This U22 is a 1950 model, and the small block Chevy motor was first used in CC boats in 1959 happy.gif

[linked image]
[linked image]

I seriously think Wilson Wright was over there having a beer when we drove by.
[linked image]
[linked image]

Captain Bill
[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

And then you have these guys.............can you imagine just how fast one of these would go down if it was waked by the wrong boat?

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Apr 8, 2014 4:43 PM

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

TAVARES BOAT SHOW 2015 (Coming soon, March 26-30)

March 19 2015, 10:51 AM 

Look at these photos and see yourself there sipping on a cold one !
There is still time to make arrangements, and for you guys in Michigan, this sure would be some welcome relief from what you have had to endure this winter.

If anyone needs any tips on where to stay, what to do, etc., send me a private note and we'll talk by phone, or via email. Already helping a coupld Forum guys now !!

Regards,
Paul

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Well here we are 4 years later.........

April 6 2018, 12:37 PM 

.......and the Tavares show was a "land only show" this year.

We missed it this year, hope to be there next year. What I miss the most is seeing the people, and of course seeing boats in the water.

Regards,
Paul

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, ©2018, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.