CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Kimmy Kay (Mark 1) birthday cruise and restoration celebration

September 9 2014 at 3:20 PM

Jim  (Login 36TFisher)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blKTMx5ipoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiFXmuQsyOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EuNdcQyNbA

As you may know I named my beloved 69 Super Sport after my more beloved wife Kimberly. Yesterday I took both girls out for a Sunday cruise on the Lake for my wife's birthday and the SS performed perfectly. I installed a DUI distributor and it really changed the entire presence of the motor... It fires up with conviction and the exhaust note is much deeper... more like a big block. The motor feels stronger and I cannot recommend these units enough... if there is 1 upgrade you are thinking of, I would start with a Davis Unified Ignition distributor.

I also replaced the Morse shifter with another of the same model and it now shifts much smoother and also had a safety switch to disable starting in gear (very important for Volvo Aquamatics.)

I forgot to hook up the tach to the DUI unit but will do so this week and start testing props. I want to see what the difference is if any between 14" and 15" props of the same pitch.

Jim
Seattle
[linked image]

Edit comment: Because this is a feature thread now, I wanted to just add the photo below to let people know WHAT you started with (no motor, no transmission, plenty of dirt, lots of engineering issues ahead, and where to find more info ! Great job Jim !

Regards,
Paul

Here is the linkhttp://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/thread/1290481899

Here is the photo ! happy.gif

[linked image]

This message has been edited by 36TFisher on Dec 1, 2014 9:39 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Paul
(no login)

DUI !!

September 9 2014, 5:21 PM 

Hey glad you like that unit, I love mine.

Send a pic of the installation !!

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   

Jim
(Login 36TFisher)

DUI Dizzy videos... turn up the speakers!!

September 9 2014, 6:04 PM 

Respond to this message   
Steve F
(Login lucid484)

Second Video is Private

September 9 2014, 6:48 PM 

Second Video is Private

Respond to this message   

Jim
(Login 36TFisher)

Thanks Steve, it should work now

September 9 2014, 7:15 PM 

Respond to this message   

Paul
(Premier Login FEfinaticP)
Owner

Got to just LOVE that DUI 50,000 volts...........I sure love mine.

November 19 2014, 3:50 PM 

The crab caps win every time there is a beauty contest, but the DUI will kick butt 100 times out of 100 when it comes to everything else.

I am planning on getting one for my Sea Skiff sometime this next season happy.gif along with a Performer RPM intake.
Yeah I know, just can't leave well enough alone.

regards,

Paul
"\"\""

Respond to this message   
Glenn F
(no login)

What a great looking ride

November 19 2014, 8:44 PM 

Jim,
Excellent job.

Glenn

Respond to this message   

Jim
(Login 36TFisher)

Thanks Glenn, she sounds as good as she looks!

November 19 2014, 9:13 PM 

I am battening down the hatches for the winter and am already looking forward to next spring.

Just found this video I had forgotten about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blKTMx5ipoQ&list=UUO8vURrBhxS6zkdh-1lmrDQ

I promise its the last one... at least til next season happy.gif
Jim

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Janet just said ..."THAT was cool"

November 20 2014, 12:03 AM 

Jim, do now I guess we need to add cinematographer and videographer / producer yo your resume ??
That was great. Entertaining and an inspiration.

Regards, and compliments to the stunt driver,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Glenn F
(no login)

Fresh air vents?

November 20 2014, 8:54 PM 

Jim and all,
What is the correct vent location on the bow with the fuel tank in the bow?
Since I relocated the tank in the Caliver I got from Mark in the bow I'm needing some.
I see yours Jim, are both facing forward., but I have also seen where one is forward and the other is facing to the stern?
Where or how are the vent hoses as well?

[linked image]

Notice the new water line? With the original 30 gal. tank in the stern, she sat about 4" lower, which shows by the old bottom paint line.

Glenn

Respond to this message   

Jim
(Login 36TFisher)

Bow tanks should be a reverse config for the vents

November 20 2014, 9:43 PM 

Here is a photo from the factory photo collection on eBay showing a 19' Lancer which has a bow mounted tank:

[linked image]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Chris-Craft-19-Lancer-Custom-Power-Boat-Factory-Photo-uc9114-/351146201121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c1f1d021

As you can see the SB vent is backward which indicates its a flow through system just for the front of the boat and another for the engine bay. Not sure how the hoses would hook up though.

NOTE: My Super Sport actually has a floor mounted tank in the center of the boat and I believe in this case the vents are both forward facing up front and back facing for the stern.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jim
Seattle

Respond to this message   
Glenn F
(no login)

Makes since

November 20 2014, 10:23 PM 

I would think a couple of feet of hose on each one in different directions would be good?
Glenn

Respond to this message   

Craig Judge
(Login craigjudge)

Vents

November 21 2014, 8:03 AM 

What kind of tank did you use? Newer tanks are vented through the filler. Keep in mind the Lancers only used fore deck vents until 71. After that they went away on both the 17' and 19' Lancer. The tank was vented through the sb side hull with no fresh air vents. Presumably the tank is far enough away from the motor to not be necessary.
Some years they faced the same way and others were in opposite directions.
[linked image]
[linked image]
Since your Cav never had them its all personal I guess. Personally I wouldn't introduce new 3" holes in the deck of my boat.

Respond to this message   
Glenn F
(no login)

The tank came out of a Ranger?

November 21 2014, 9:11 AM 

Craig and all,
The tank has a vent line that I ran over and out the side of the bow.
I didnt know if there is a safety issue for have a tank under the front deck? The area is all open in the back where your feet are, so it's not in a confined space.

Thanks Glenn

Respond to this message   

Paul
(Premier Login FEfinaticP)
Owner

Hope you have a great boating season this year

March 26 2018, 8:37 PM 

.....and I'm hoping Helene gets a ride on this bad boy ! She (and I) have never been on one of these, but she was lucky enough to get a ride on a Cadillac powered Cobra a few years ago happy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/embed/PrYTk7-3sfE

All the best, keep those cards and letters coming in.

Paul
"\"\""

Respond to this message   

Marco
(Login Mardam)

Impressive work!

March 27 2018, 1:30 PM 

Congratulations!!!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, ©2018, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.