CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

U-Boat Launch

July 24 2016 at 7:56 PM
KentU  (Login KentU)

My shop is adding a radio for me. I am doing my best to meet up with Bill P. and Rob Bernard two other Commander 23 owners. However, I have been out of town on a construction project. Hate it when life gets in the way. Thanks again to the site for all the help over the last two years of this restoration.

Sincerely,

Kent U.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

http://vid32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/kugur/IMG_0348_zpsrbptrtd2.mp4

Edit Comment: Here is another (of many threads) from our archives, on this boat. Paul
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/thread/1444559494

Here is a thread about where the boat was found in Montana, again, one of MANY threads about this special boat
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/thread/1149086680

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Sep 22, 2017 10:23 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Paul
(no login)

N~I~C~E J~O~B !!!!

July 24 2016, 10:21 PM 

Beautiful job, great photos, thanks for dragging this boat back from Montana and giving it the royal treatment.

Readers can do a search here on he Forum for "Montana Commander" and find a ton of info on how this project started years ago !!

Hey a question : Freeman is doing prop testing with his 1970 Lancer Premier 427. The standard prop was SC 14x14. What prop are you running?
We will compare notes, his data should be in soon.

Regards,
Paul

Respond to this message   
KentU
(Login KentU)

Prop

July 25 2016, 6:20 AM 

I know it's an Acme prop. I ordered it thru Henry Smith Co. In Algonac. I gave Acme all the specs on the engine first. It is a Nibral prop that has a slight cup. I'll do my best to post that info.
Thanks
Kent

Respond to this message   
Chad
(no login)

Beautiful Boat

July 25 2016, 6:26 AM 

Congrats on the completion. The boat looks fantastic. Is that a Phoenix Trailer?

Respond to this message   
KentU
(Login KentU)

Trailer

July 25 2016, 6:37 AM 

Chad
Thanks for your comments on my boat. It is an Integrity Trailer. They're near Grand Rapids. The guy's name is Bill Hogan. He was great to work with
Thanks
Kent

Respond to this message   
KentU
(Login KentU)

My prop

July 25 2016, 6:27 AM 

Found info
Acme VR-3blade
13x14
1-1/4 dia.

[linked image]

Hope this helps. Thanks
Kent

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Sep 22, 2017 10:25 AM

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Prop info from Mariners Museum

July 25 2016, 9:46 AM 

From the Mariners museum hull card, #3474 prop was listed on Freeman's 427- powered 1970, which is essentially a 23 Commander but with Lancer Premier badge. That is a 14x14 SC (super cup), on a 1-1/4 shaft.

There is a lot of science in prop blade profiles, ACME is a premium brand. We are going to be getting data from Freeman at various RPM with HPS speed readings, and he will verify what prop his boat actually has. Right now we are not sure what it has happy.gif

Regards,
Paul

Respond to this message   

Craig L
(Login clindberg)

Spectacular!

July 25 2016, 8:29 AM 

Kent,
Bravo! What a beautiful boat and trailer to properly display and haul it. Looking forward to seeing more photos and video w requisite audio of engine at speed on the water. Anytime one of these particularly rare craft are brought back to life, there are so many challenges and decisions and the results here look spectacular. Some will tsk, tsk about anything but original finishes but if you do it right, you can send all those naysayers packing and I think you have by using some restraint and employing a good eye IMO.

Skol!
Craig l

Respond to this message   
KentU
(Login KentU)

Originality

July 25 2016, 9:37 AM 

Craig:
Thanks for the comments. You're right on. I've always tried to improve on restorations (cars) without taking a way out departure on paint, interiors etc. Had a garage queen '62 Vette years ago, loved the car but really didn't enjoy it as I did some real runners that you were not afraid to get dirty.
My Commander will be used, beer spilled on it etc
Thanks again!
Kent

Respond to this message   
Bill P
(Login commander23)

Congrats!

July 25 2016, 6:27 PM 

Hello Kent! Awesome job. Can't wait to catch up north. Congrats on a job well done!

Bill P
Ghost Rider
1969 23 Commander

Respond to this message   
KentU
(Login KentU)

Meeting up

July 25 2016, 6:34 PM 

Bill
Thanks a lot. Man, I'm working on it as far getting my boat north. Really want to connect with you and Rob.
Will keep you both posted.
Kent

Respond to this message   
Glenn F
(no login)

Sweet

July 25 2016, 7:31 PM 

Very nice work Kent

Glenn

Respond to this message   
Phil
(Login philjdavis)

Beautiful!

July 25 2016, 7:41 PM 

Kent that is gorgeous, that big block should be fun. I hate to ask for fear of stirring up a swim platform debate but,,,, where did you get the platform brackets? Wonder if the angle would be right for the 23 lancer? I have separate stainless poles that are basically flattened out on each end. Not sure how I feel about them.

Fantastic work on this boat. Hope I can get half as good!
Phil Davis
Fort Myers FL
72 23' Lancer Inboard

Respond to this message   
KentU
(Login KentU)

Swim platform

July 25 2016, 8:03 PM 

Phil
Thanks. I had those same tubes with flattened ends for the platform brackets.
They were kind of lame and not real strong. We had a local welder make them up based on cardboard templates. They are stainless steel. Should last a long time.
Thanks
Kent

Respond to this message   
KentU
(Login KentU)

Everso Marine

July 28 2016, 1:51 PM 

In my haste to post pics and video I forgot to mention my shop by name.
Eversole Marine in Algonac, MI. Wayne and his crew are great craftsmen and equally great to work with. They did the bulk of the work on my boat. Without him it would still be in the restoration stage.
Wayne can save your boat! I can provide contact info.
Thanks Wayne!

Respond to this message   
Eric Jensen
(no login)

Just an echo here

July 31 2016, 5:48 PM 

but, that is a really spectacular boat. Looks like Everso Marine did all right by you. Where is it headed in Michigan?

Eric

Respond to this message   
KentU
(Login KentU)

Home port

August 1 2016, 6:34 AM 

Eric
Thanks. My boat is headed to Northern Michigan.
Most of the time on Lake Charkevoix out of Boyne City.
Been working out of town, can't wait to take it north

Kent

Respond to this message   

Paul
(Premier Login FEfinaticP)
Owner

Beautiful area of the country

August 1 2016, 10:35 PM 

Kent, I'm familiar with the area and have sampled martinis at the restaurant overlooking the channel from the Lake Charlevoix to Lake Michigan, as I suspect you have too. Beautiful area, lots of super premium boats up there and people who know what they have, and how to maintain them well. Your boat completed to the standard you have done will get a lot of double-take looks up there.

Have fun, keep us posted, send photos !!

Regards,
Paul
"\"\""

Respond to this message   
KentU
(Login KentU)

Re: Home port

August 2 2016, 8:34 PM 

Thanks Paul. Yes It is a nice area. Have had many dinners in Charlevoix, Boyne City etc. You are right about the nice boats too. Pushing hard to get my boat north, finished an out of town work project and enjoy some boat time.
Have enjoyed the site and will send pics later on as well
Thanks!
Kent

Respond to this message   
Eric Jensen
(no login)

I know it's U-BOAT

August 26 2016, 11:52 AM 

But I wish it was MY BOAT.
happy.gif
ej

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied. Search Feature