CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Trisha (38 Express FOR SALE Kent Island, Maryland) !!!!!

June 6 2017 at 10:06 PM
Scott Cadle  (Login scadle2)

Hey all. Hi Paul.

A series of "life events" have come between me and Trishna, my 1969 38' Chris Craft Commander Express. Pics are available on the forum if you search for her by name. She's been on the hard now (Kent Island, Maryland) for ~5 years and I'm forced to move on.

The yacht yard owner said he's going to look at the engines (2001 Merc 7.4L 454s) to see if he's interested in buying her. They were fogged before storage and have been well protected. Verdict is out, however, on turnover/run. I had a marine mechanic (who was interested in acquiring her) take a quick poke at them early this spring. Sounded like one fuel pump was not running. The other sounded fine. Neither engine turned over. I can't speak to the battery CCA or state of charge. He was going to spray penetrating oil in each cylinder, let them soak, and then retry. We haven't connected over the last month though, so I can't attest if the soak or subsequent attempt to roll them happened.

If no other interested parties step forward within the next week, I'm going to move forward with strip and recycle... either through Harbor Salvage or Couser Hauling). Hate to do it, but that's where I'm at. If there's interest in her whole, in testing/pulling the engines or for some of the parts, I can be reached below.

Sad day.

Scott
scadle@gmail.com

Edit comment: Scott, I added info to the title of this post in order to draw more attention to the fact that Trisha is for sale. I want to use the full force of The Forum to help you as a long term member here, to get this boat to someone who will give it the care it deserves and who will love it.

Regards, Paul,
Forum Moderator/Host

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Jun 7, 2017 10:22 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Paul
(no login)

Scott, lets post this one FOR SALE on the world wide web ( PHOTOS )

June 7 2017, 9:44 AM 

This forum is being read at an outstanding rate worldwide, at a rate of "millions of pages per year" and you owe the boat (and the next guy who gets her) a chance to be promoted for sale before it is destroyed !!!!!!!!!

Send me more photos, specs, etc., and I will put it on the web where it will be seen by Commander enthusiasts.

We know this boat, we know the owner who had it before you got it, no expense was spared on it. It is a prize for someone. Even if you sell it for way under actual value, you will recoup more than parting it out, which is a waste of good time, phone calls, ebay, postage, UPS, pennies on the dollar, and it destroys a perfectly good boat in the process. You are better off selling it intact because there IS a buyer out there somewhere.

With those engines, this boat should have an entire additional lifetime. If they have not been started in five years I don't think that is any problem at all, a little patience and they will likely run and run fine. I would be on the alert for anyone telling you, "the motors wouldn't turn over but I'll give you a dollar-ninety-eight for them. They are best left in the boat where they are now, already hooked up to all systems, already spent all the time and effort to do the installation, and no need to spend the time to destroy the boat and pull motors only to spend more time later for someone to try to install them in another boat.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

We need to find an owner for your 38. Lets give it a couple more weeks.

Regards,
Paul

chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Scott, I just placed a notice on our sister sites too

June 7 2017, 10:13 AM 

Stay tuned, the word is out, we'll find someone who will want the boat.

Best,
Paul

Respond to this message   

Paul
(Premier Login FEfinaticP)
Owner

Scott, please check your email

June 7 2017, 1:07 PM 

I sent you two emails, please check those.
Word is getting out, hopefully we can help get a fair deal for everyone and a good boat to someone who will care for it.

best,
Paul
"\"\""

Respond to this message   
Scott Cadle
(Login scadle2)

Photos

June 7 2017, 7:52 PM 

Hi Paul. It is, indeed. I'm happy to have watched the forum grow over the years.

I'm uploading ~1200 photos to my smugmug site. Will post link later this evening. Download from there is disabled. If there's some you'd like to leverage for the forum, let me know and I'll setup a download password for you.

Scott

Respond to this message   
Scott Cadle
(Login scadle2)

Photos - gallery link

June 7 2017, 9:32 PM 

Photos are athttp://photos.johosoho.com/For-Sale/Trishna .

These aren't glamour shots. It's a collection (newest to oldest) taken primarily to aide/document maintenance and improvements. As such, many series document the issue I was working on, with few in the repair series that show the completed work. Look at later photos... most progress is evident there.

There's a little "i" icon below each picture that has the date taken and other photo details.

If there's questions about the condition or state of repair of a system/component, ask and I'll do my best to clarify.

Scott

This message has been edited by scadle2 on Jun 7, 2017 10:00 PM

Respond to this message   

Paul
Owner

Photo review

June 8 2017, 10:15 AM 

Wow that is some good documentation.

Looking at all the work that has been put into the boat for general maintenance makes me think of my own, as I have also lived in the bilge and the motor compartment, and that just comes with the territory of ownership with classic boats. Anyone who expects to jump in, turn the key, and go boating without any worries needs to come up with about a million dollars for a new boat of similar length and function. Even then, that new one will need some attention after a few years.

I have downloaded some of the photos and will eventually post some here. I see a good boat. The toe rail appears to be peeled now and in need of a new coat of varnish. That is actually a good thing because mine also needs a new coat of varnish and mine is only partially peeled so I have to sand the rest off, lol. The interior looks great. I see hydraulic steering that was added, all new wiring, lots of electronics, new tanks and valves, and of course the 454 motors. On the motors, even if you have to replace cylinder heads, that's something that is done every day across the land, and it comes with the territory, all boats will need some sort of mechanical maintenance from time to time. All said and done, once this one gets back on the water it will be able to give someone a lot of fun. It will also share memories with so many guests who have the pleasure of being invited aboard. I look back at all the fun and the guests we've had aboard and all the work is worth it, and sheesh, I must have put in 5 or 10 hours of work for every hour I spend motoring around.

Regards,
Paul
"\"\""

Respond to this message   
Scott Cadle
(Login scadle2)

Trishna's Calder-inspired grounding bus

June 9 2017, 7:27 PM 

Just wanted to share the Nigel Calder inspired grounding bus I created for Trishna. It really helped improve the reliability of electrical systems, removed alternator noise from VHF, simplified troubleshooting, etc. Heavy gauge tinned, stranded wire with appropriate lugs for all connections. Drip loops and dielectric grease for longevity. This is located on the firewall between the engines. Photo was taken today. It has held up well.

Scott

Respond to this message   
Scott Cadle
(Login scadle2)

Engines and fuel

June 9 2017, 7:34 PM 

The yacht yard took a cursory poke at the engines and was able to get the starboard engine to turn over but not the port engine. In the last two years we ran Trishna, there was a 10 degree temperature differential between the engines. I'd have to check my notes... but from memory, it was the port engine that was off. It's clear that additional attention and investment will required to bring the port engine back to full function.

I'm contracting to have the remaining fuel in Trishna's tanks (port and starboard) removed, hopefully next week. I believe that's the fair and responsible thing to do for any prospective sale and its a prerequisite to salvage/disposal.

Scott

Respond to this message   
Andy
(Login HRMorgan80)

For sale?

June 9 2017, 9:45 PM 

So...is this boat for sale, or are you just trying to part it out?

Respond to this message   
Scott Cadle
(no login)

For sale

June 10 2017, 12:12 AM 

I'd prefer to find a new owner, but will fall back to parting and recycling.

Respond to this message   
Andy
(Login HRMorgan80)

Re: For sale

June 10 2017, 6:58 PM 

I'd potentially like to take a look at it but I'd like a few details first. Shoot me an email at andywood1206@gmail.com if you don't mind.

This message has been edited by HRMorgan80 on Jun 10, 2017 6:59 PM

Respond to this message   
Scott Cadle
(no login)

Message sent

June 11 2017, 12:28 AM 

Hi Andy,

Message sent.

Scott

Respond to this message   
Scott Cadle
(no login)

Sold

August 22 2017, 12:18 AM 

Hi all,

Just a quick follow up message... Trishna has been sold to a gentleman based out of Chester, MD. Thank you for your interest. Paul, thanks for running an awesome forum. To all I've messaged with or received support from over the years... THANKS!

Best,
Scott

Respond to this message   

Paul
Owner

Congratulations !

August 22 2017, 10:00 AM 

Good to know the boat has gone to someone who will enjoy it in the future!
Let the new owner we are here to assist if needed

Scott, you are a long term member here and a member of the family.
Your comments and expertise are always welcome !!

Regards,
Paul
"\"\""

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied. Search Feature