CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Just bought an unrestored XK-19 in Sweden!

October 25 2017 at 6:08 AM
Hakan  (Login hgger69)

Hi there,
I´m a guy from Sweden that just sold my 1937 mahogany runabout to purchase a 1971/72 Chris Craft XK-19 and now I'm looking for support and info regarding this specifik boat!

This XK-19 has spent its entire life, so far, in Lake Arrowhead, California in a large boat storage and actually came without a trailer so that had to be bought before shipping it to Sweden!
The boat seems to be all original and has never been exposed for the sun for longer period, cause the gelcoat is still shiny and bright in color.

The engine and Volvo/CC 270 stern drive seems to me matching numbers but I'm not sure. The engine is the high performance model called 350 FLVHP and should have 350 hp.

Interior is in very good shape with white seats and carpet is brown. Original CC steering wheel under that ugly skin and the cool Camaro/Pontiac tachometer is great lookin.
The hull is white/bronze with white deck. The siesta pad is missing sadly.
The stripes are rather unusual but I've seen them looking like this on some old pics and sales brochures but maybe you can help me out here....they are solid brown/bronze with red thin stripes on the sides.

The top deck has its typical sunken areas round the windshield as almost every XK/S has, I've been told?!

Data:
HIN are ORCZ-19 2042V and the 350 FLVHP engine no are 611186. Has 780 hrs on the meter.
This makes this XK-19 a late 1971 or early 1972 or what do you say?

Pics:
2v2u7s4N5xAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

2v2u7sDMWxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

2v2u7s4eFxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

2v2u7s4HnxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

2v2u7sDwjxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

2v2u7s4iyxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

2v2u7sDP8xAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden

This message has been edited by hgger69 on Oct 25, 2017 12:31 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Marco
(Login Mardam)

Hello! More of it, please!!!

October 25 2017, 7:02 AM 

Stunning example.
Cheers,
Marco

Respond to this message   
Hakan
(Login hgger69)

Re: Hello! More of it, please!!!

October 25 2017, 12:39 PM 

Thanx Marco!
I don't have the boat at home yet, probably not until April or May next year..sad.gif
What more do you want to know? happy.gif

All the crome parts are almost in mint condition and everything electrical works. The deck search light is stunning and works great!
In the engine bay it looks al original and even the thin cover on the floor that are mounted with staples are there!
It also came with the original, and probably never used, brown bimini top!

Here are some more pics:
2v2u7smsdxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

2v2u7s4wqxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

2v2u7sDTgxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

2v2u7sDngxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

2v2u7sDENxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden

This message has been edited by hgger69 on Oct 28, 2017 6:17 AM

Respond to this message   
Hakan
(Login hgger69)

Two more pics!

October 29 2017, 12:28 PM 

Hi again,
I found two more pics to show bottom and the nice original XK-emblem:
2v2uL2UJUxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

2v2uL2UfzxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden

Respond to this message   

Craig L
(Login clindberg)

Spectacular Find!

October 25 2017, 5:18 PM 

Hakan!
You my friend are the lucky owner of a classic, very rare and wonderful sportboat survivor in incredibly fine factory configuration. Congratulations!!! Wow, I mean WOW!

I've never seen one of these in its original condition that has not been restored. I'm sure many of us would love to learn it's history and how it came into your possession.

I can tell you everything appears to be original but cannot say whether the interior vinyl is or not. Other XK-19 owners may know and comment I hope. The engine is the high output (HO) 350FLV rated at 300-320 hp depending upon which year Chris-Craft literature you read. It even appears to be wearing it's factory paint and appliques right down to the painted alloy "Corvette crossed-flags emblem" valve covers.

As you may know, CC was buying the prized, high performance solid-lifter LT-1 engines from General Motors Chevrolet Division used in their Corvette and Camaro Z-28 models of the early '70s, and then CC was marinizing them. The workers at the CC factory just sprayed everything blue including the hoses and those gorgeous alloy valve covers. Here's how a rebuilt one looks w the paint removed from a photo of the original 350FLV in our XK-22:

[linked image]

As for your boat's color scheme, it looks factory correct with the bronze/brown gelcoat portions accented with red stripes. That is the same as used on our 1972 XK-22 albeit your XK-19 gelcoat and stripes are in much better condition than ours which is well worn happy.gif :

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Very best of luck with your great find and keep us posted with more photos and updates!

Skol!
Craig L

This message has been edited by clindberg on Oct 25, 2017 5:31 PM

Respond to this message   
Hakan
(Login hgger69)

Re: Spectacular Find!

October 26 2017, 3:29 PM 

Wow, thanks for your extremely kind words, Craig! I really appreciate it! happy.gif

Regarding the engine I understand that our XK has the 350 FLVHP where HP stands for High Performance and in this version for 1971-72 was rated tas high as 350 HP.
The standard 350 FLV has a slighter lower rate appr. 300-320 HP, or has i gotten it all wrong?

I´m not sure if the starting key/switch is original but all the rest of the switches seems to bee original...but they weren't that accurate when they drilled the holes for the switches at CC I guess? wink.gif
2v2u7s4VqxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

Oh, and the former owner i US was a Micahel(?) Buscemi in Running Springs, CA. This according to the title I got with the boat.
I got the boat from a Swedish guy that imported it to Sweden this summer.

I really love your XK22, what a pair they would be together! happy.gif
The finish of your boat and trailer is amazing!!
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden

Respond to this message   

Craig Judge
(Login craigjudge)

Quick Google Search of Previous Owner

October 26 2017, 3:56 PM 

There is a Michael Buscemi who runs a place called Mile High Marine Storage and Service in Running Springs. That would be worth a phone call. Maybe he has some history on that sweet XK. 909-337-4460

Respond to this message   
Hakan
(Login hgger69)

Re: Quick Google Search of Previous Owner

October 26 2017, 4:46 PM 

Thanx, Craig. Unfortunately I'm not able to phone the US due to company restriction on my cell phone, which also is my only phone. sad.gif
I´ve tried to send the company an email but they only had like a form to send...you don't seam to use email in the US as much as we do here in Europe I guess? happy.gif

The story regarding the boat is that it´s always been stored inside near lake Arrowhead and this company that you found match that story perfect! happy.gif
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden

Respond to this message   
Hakan
(Login hgger69)

October 31 2017, 10:52 AM 

Ive just found Another pics which is the decal on the window drivers side, maybee its searchable by anyone who knows the Lake Arrowhead area?

2v2uLPgsrxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden

Respond to this message   
Hakan
(Login hgger69)

November 1 2017, 10:27 AM 

Nobody?
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden

Respond to this message   
Thomas
(no login)

October 26 2017, 4:30 PM 

Hi Håkan! And congrats on that spectacular find!

It seems to be in an extremely good condition and with very few things changed or added. I would think that those red stripes are non original, in the broschure they are brown (as the other striping) and the ones on the deck are wider than the present red. The red stripes just above the boot line should not be there at all (again they are not there in the broschure not even in brown). As for the switches I have never seen these kind of switches on a CC (I may not have seen that many though) they usually are of the pull/push variety chromed and not toggle (vippströmbrytare) but the surrounds are correct!

Where will you be using and showing the boat? Close to Stockholm?

Respond to this message   
Hakan
(Login hgger69)

October 26 2017, 5:02 PM 

Hi Thomas,
Thanx for the kind words, makes me happy! happy.gif

But I've sen brochures where the deck stripes are one thick stripe brown and without the thin small brown besides as normal..but you can be right regarding the the thin red ones...
I also learned from the car brochures that the reality often doesn't match the real world! happy.gif
But the thin red on the hull is correct, lok at he XK22 from the same year above, same thin red stripe there! happy.gif

But the toggle switches are correct for a 1971/-72 Chris Craft XK-19 in my opinion. I´ve seen a lot of them on the web.

The boat is going to be up north in Umeå where i live.
Are you from Stockholm, Thomas?
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden

Respond to this message   
Thomas
(no login)

October 27 2017, 11:45 AM 

Hi Håkan,
I can not find the brochure where there are no stripes beside the wide Brown one on the deck and neither can I find the thin red one above the boot line! I must be missing a brochure, thought I had them all....
And you're right I live just North of Stockholm, and have a light blue 23' 1971 Lancer named CandyToo.

With your XK 19 I now belive there are (or will be in April!) 7 of these in Sweden including the 19' Commander of which 2 where imported as new by Owe Forslund. One more went to Volvo Penta in Gothenburg for use as a testbench for Engines! A guy in Stockholm have imported another 3 during the past 10 years or so. One of them where shown on "Allt för sjön" (Stockholm boat show) a few years back.
1 of the 2 that Owe imported where stolen and I am not sure what happened to it after that.

Respond to this message   
Hakan
(Login hgger69)

October 27 2017, 1:46 PM 

Wow, so you have all the sale brochures on XK-19? Im really interested to se the ones from 1971 and 1972 to check for similarities for our boat!happy.gif
The red accent stripe on the hull I've seen so many times no, can't find the original Chris Craft photos now but I believe I have them on my work computer, so I guess that stripe is correct.

The deck stripe and red accent stripe is the one I'm more interested to hear if it by any chance are original or something someone put the afterwards?

This information below regarding what year our boat could be is the only info I could get from the Mariners Museum. Since our boat has HIN that ends with 2042V i assume its really an late 1971 model?

The Library is closed temporarily due to construction, and the collections have been moved into deep storage. The entire collection, including the Chris-Craft Archives, will remain inaccessible to the public and to staff for the duration of the construction project. Unfortunately, it will likely be a year or so before they have access to their collections again. They will post a notice on their website (marinersmuseum.org) when the opening date has been confirmed.

2v2uCSabLxAdyFV.png
Hosted on Fotki

Our boat is already in Sweden but in Gothenburg during winter as it lock right now. Our mahogany runabout from 1937 will be in our boat house during the winter so thats why. sad.gif
This is the boat we've sold, a beautiful 1937 Essbåt named KURRE, Built by Gideon Forslund.

So you have like a register of all the XK and SS boats in Sweden? I know Peters boat and have spoken with him also another guy in Stockholm who peter sold one of his boats to.
Do know what happened to the Volvo boat then?
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden

This message has been edited by hgger69 on Oct 27, 2017 1:51 PM

Respond to this message   
Thomas
(no login)

October 28 2017, 5:17 AM 

Hi Håkan,
Yes I thought I had all the CC sport boats broschures from -66 to -78, but now I am not so sure!
I do not have a register on these boats, but have followed them on a distance boats through the years. Have met Peter at the boat show and also seen one of his boats in action just outside of Stockholm. had a ride in the boat that Stefan Jergel owned for a while (a 19 Commander), we met on Stora Värtan, me and my brother in my 19' Lancer, but sadly no Pictures as it was getting late and dark.
There was an article in Vi Båtägare nr 10 2001 on the Volvo Penta boat which then was owned by Anders Ericsson, probably on the westcoast. It was used as pr boat for the then new 250 drive unit according to the article. So I may be wrong about it being used as development bench for Engines.
You can also reach me at Thomas.knafve at spray.se

Respond to this message   

Craig L
(Login clindberg)

Engine Horsepower Variance Explained

October 27 2017, 8:51 AM 

Hakan,
When Chris-Craft introduced the XK-22 someone at the factory thought it would be a good idea to use the 350FLV in a HIGH COMPRESSION configuration of 11.0:1 that was rated at 350 HP @ 5800 RPM according to their specification sheet of the day. Aside from requiring a very high octane fuel, there may have been other issues reported by the dealer's customers so starting with engine serial number 611027 they were installing 9.0:1 compression engines rated at 320 HP @ 5600 RPM.

As for the question of color scheme w the bronze, the red accent striping appears to have been used on 1972 and earlier models. In 1973 and later it appears they switched to using brown accent striping like that on the XK-22 owned by John Bakke who has posted here. Not a big deal but thought you would like to know your boat exterior is original in all likelihood.

As for your interior vinyl, I happened to have taken photos of a beautifully restored and show winning XK-19 at the 2013 Buffalo Launch Club classic boat show near Buffalo, NY. It's interior was brown vinyl like that in my XK-22. Looking up the XK-19 (1970-1974) in the Chris-Craft Essential Guide, under Upholstery they list "White, brown, yellow". As to when these colors were used and available is unknown to me.

[linked image]

Skol!
Craig L

Respond to this message   
Hakan
(Login hgger69)

Re: Engine Horsepower Variance Explained

October 27 2017, 2:03 PM 

Great info regarding the engine there, Craig.
So our 350 FLVHP with serial no 611186 is a High Performance model, compared to a standard 350FLV, but not with 350 hp but with 320 cause its probably a date 1971 model, right?

Your ideas regarding the hull stripes could be correct when our boat guaranteed is a late 1971 or early 1972 model, se pic above from Mariners Museum.
But what is the thing with hour red accent stripe on the deck...?

Regarding the upholstery I think yellow is an option for later models only, like after 1972.

I´ve seen pics of the boat your showing and its stunning, though I guess not correctly restored in every detail or..?
Some quests from your pic above:

- The steering wheel isn't 100% correct for a XK-19 is it?
- Also the MPH-meter seems wrong in that boat?
- Our tachometer and mirror has been mounted in a different way then in the pic above? I think a thacomehter is more important for the driver and therefore should be near the steering wheel, correct? happy.gif
- When did they change to this more round looking bucket seats that we also have?
- i notice that this boat has similar switches as we have so they should be correct then?
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden

This message has been edited by hgger69 on Oct 29, 2017 6:15 AM

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Hello Haken, WELCOME ABOARD !

October 27 2017, 12:45 PM 

I have been watching this thread while out of town on my cell phone and I am back on a computer now so I can respond better. That motor has basically received 20-hours per year running time, just enough to keep it in good condition. From the looks of the boat in the photos (photos ALWAYS make a boat look better than it is, lol) it has been pampered and it unmolested in original condition, which is one heck of a find for you, so major congratulations.

Lake Arrowhead is the location of a pretty impressive and affluent group of antique and classic boating enthusiasts. http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/message/1286460648/

I am sure your boat is well known around the lake, and I am also sure it has been in very good company and therefore due to that environment has received some very good care.

Thanks for posting the great photos, we look forward to seeing more from you when you receive the boat and get a chance to run it and discover more secrets it undoubtedly holds.

Regards,
Paul

Respond to this message   
Hakan
(Login hgger69)

Re: Hello Haken, WELCOME ABOARD !

October 27 2017, 2:29 PM 

Hi Paul and thank you for the warm welcome! happy.gif

When you put the engine running time in that way it´s easier to understand that this boat really could be in its original condition!
The engine sound greats, both with and without water coming out the pipes...theese short vids were taken with my iPhone are when I bought the boat here in Sweden and they just started it up.
It takes a while before the cooling water hits the tail pipes but I think it sounds great!
https://youtu.be/R5pytgiFDik

https://youtu.be/au9EAQKVcwM

I also think it´s a find but it wasn't for free, I can assure you that! wink.gif
My plan is to keep it as original as possible and don't change anything thats not absolutely necessary.

This boat will be a nice accent to my 69 Camaro and maybe I need a tower on it now:
2v2uCSrmGxAdyFV.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

Regarding the Lake Arrowhead enthusiast, you don't anybody there that could know some history regarding this specific boat? happy.gif
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden

This message has been edited by hgger69 on Oct 27, 2017 3:12 PM

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Love the Camaro .....but.....

October 29 2017, 9:15 PM 

....ehen it comes to American manufacurers I'm a Ford guy, but I have great respect for the competition. But I have two Volvos, three Porsches, and two (Ford) Broncos so I do mix it up, along with two boats with GM motors. If you can tell me what the name on the transom was before you bought the boat believe it or not, ACBS has a section where you can look up the name of the boat. This is for people who may see a boat and the name, and may want to know more about it and look up the owner.

It is likely the previous owner was a member of ACBS and had his boat name listed.

regards,
Paul

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied. Search Feature