Email the Moderator   Back to GA Forum II  

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D2 programs

March 24 2009 at 3:11 PM
Anonymous 

I have heard that there are some D2 programs that are ran like D1 programs in terms of time committment. Any examples of that in Georgia?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

Columbus State (eom)

March 24 2009, 3:12 PM 

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Columbus State (eom)

March 24 2009, 3:17 PM 

What kind of time committment are we talking about?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: D2 programs

March 24 2009, 6:03 PM 

Interesting question. My daughter visted Columbus, Georgia College and Armstrong. Each coach does run their respective programs differently. Coach Entlich at Columbus does seem to run it most like a DI program. There is nothing wrong with that. Obviously, he is getting the results. He was up front about the demands that he places on their players. Georgia College and AASU seemed to be quite similiar to each other . Both coaches did talk about a balance and how DI and DII are different. They both also seemed to demand a lot, but also talked about being well rounded and having a balance. I think all three programs are run as top rate as possible. All three had nice facilities, equipment and gear. I would argue there would be a drop off in state after these three programs on how they are run. Hope this helps.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

I guess Jay does get results

March 24 2009, 7:12 PM 

CSU Soccer Opens Spring Season at Mercer
CSU Gets a Win and a Tie Against Divsion I Opponents in Friendly Matches

Macon, GA - The CSU women's soccer team got its spring season underway over the weekend with a trip to Mercer University in Macon. The Lady Cougars faced the host school and also took on Georgia State in a pair of games on Saturday, earning a tie and a win in the two contests.

CSU started the weekend with a draw against Mercer, the 2008 Atlantic Sun Champion. CSU got on the board first with an excellent through pass from KC Macheachern that lead Rachel Walthall on a breakaway. Walthall dribbled the keeper and slotted it home for a 1 - 0 advantage.

The CSU back line of Kim Gaughan, Leslie Mathews and twins Laurel and Jordan McKenzie were terrific in defense until the 45th minute when a missed cleared ball resulted in a direct shot from Mercer forward Emerald Phillips that beat CSU keeper Kelly Nimmo for the equalizer.

Despite outstanding play from forwards Melinda Bush, Walthall, and Maceachern the Lady Cougars could not get the winning goal and the game ended in a draw. Prior to the game, Mercer University had been unbeaten this spring with wins over the University of Florida (2 - 0) and GCSU (3 - 1).

CSU then had to play the back end of the double header immediately following the Mercer game against Georgia State. The Panthers got on the board first with a terrific goal off of flank service. The GA State offense dribble penetrated wide and crossed the ball centrally to wide open midfielder who drilled it home past Nimmo.

The CSU offense then woke up and began pushing the tempo. By halftime the shots were even and the Cougars needed to make some adjustments. As the second half started, the Lady Cougars received a free kick just outside the GSU penalty area. Junior forwar Gina Goforth stepped up and smacked a direct shot over the wall into the net to tie the game at 1-1.

That goal elevated the level of play for CSU. Sophomore Stephanie Lowery had a shot narrowly tipped over the bar in the 52nd minute. The game stayed close until the 59th minute when sophomore Melinda Bush picked up a ball out wide and dribbled by the Panther defense and served a ball in the air to the near post. Junior forward Rachel Walthall darted to the near post and headed the feed past the GSU keeper for the winning goal with less than 40 seconds left in the 60 minute match. It was Walthall's second goal of the day and could not have come at a better time.

"What a great day for us," said CSU coach Jay Entlich. "Both opponents had very successful 2008 seasons and for us to walk away with a draw and win is terrific."

"I think alot of folks have counted us out for the upcoming 2009 season due to the departure of so many graduating seniors. I am hopeful that this proves that we are capable of continuing to compete at a high level despite the departure of some very good players. I am very proud of our players and hope they realize we have quite a bit of talent and still have to work to grow and develop," added Entlich.

CSU travels to North Metro Soccer Park next Saturday (March 28) to take on the 92 GA ODP Team at 10:30 AM and Kennesaw State University at 1:30 PM.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Funny How Mercer Has A Different Take On It

March 24 2009, 7:40 PM 

MACON, Ga. - Mercer kept its unbeaten spring season intact with a win and a draw against Columbus State and Georgia State in a double-header at Bear Field this Saturday. Lauren Johnsons first goal of the spring earned the Bears a 1-1 draw against CSU before topping rivals Georgia State with a 2-0 victory through a pair of strikes from Emerald Phillips.

The Bears starting strong in their opening match against Columbus State, with Phillips and Johnson looking lively in the early going. But the Orange and Black would find themselves behind thanks to a CSU sucker punch, taking advantage of a rare backline error to beat Jean Worts for the games opening goal.

Regaining their composure, however, Mercer would end the half with a spell of sustained pressure, eventually leveling matters in the 41st minute. The Cougars failed to deal with Johnsons initial cross, and the speedy winger pounced onto the loose ball at the edge of the 18-yard box before firing an unstoppable shot past the CSU netminder.

It could have been even better for the Bears with a bit more luck, as they peppered the Cougar defense in the second half with shot after shot. Another teasing Johnson cross across the face of goal just failed to connect with the sliding Emily Milone at the back post, and a 20-yard rocket from Olivia Tucker was denied only by a sprawling save by the CSU goalkeeper.

All told, Mercer would outshoot the Cougars, 13-4, but had to settle for a share of the spoils when it was unable to find a winner.

The Bears would remedy that in the afternoons second game, however, looking strong, organized and assured against their Atlanta rivals, Georgia State. Banging in goals all spring for the Orange and Black, Emerald Phillips wasted no time putting the team ahead. The freshman forward weaved her way past two defenders before producing a cool finish past the oncoming keeper in the 14th minute.

The Panthers tried to answer back, calling goalkeeper Cristina Guilarte into action just before the interval. A long ball over the top put a Georgia State forward clean through on goal, but Guilarte was up to the task, snuffing out the danger with a fine sliding save.

Phillips would then wrap up the points for the Bears in the 57th minute. The Carrollton, Ga. native timed her run to perfection to beat the offside trap on a Johnson through ball, again making no mistake from close range with only the keeper to beat.

In the win, Mercer outshot the Panthers by a 19-2 while keeping a clean sheet for the second time in four games this spring.

The Bears resume their spring season this Saturday with a trip to South Carolina to take on ACC-power Clemson.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

I think the CSU version is closer to the truth. eom

March 24 2009, 8:00 PM 

k

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Hard to argue with stats.

March 24 2009, 9:35 PM 

Looks like Mercer dominated.

When you hear these protests from this CSU guy you know he can feel his D2 arguments slipping into oblivion. If only his daughter had gone to KSU. Oh well, tough break. Maybe she can transfer.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

I hate to tell you

March 24 2009, 10:24 PM 

But Kennesaw State and Mercer are in DI oblivion.

Respond to this message   
anon

Re: I hate to tell you

March 24 2009, 10:30 PM 

no offense...but that means CSU is just in oblivian.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Better a DII contender...

March 24 2009, 11:47 PM 

than a DI wannabe.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Better a DII contender...

March 25 2009, 7:17 AM 

Soccerratings.com
DII Rankings:

Playing for championships
1 Grand Valley State 23 22 1 0 1597 111 1030 Record
2 West Florida 26 24 1 1 1556 86 1062 Record
3 Seattle Pacific 25 22 1 2 1552 89 1079 Record
4 Columbus State 26 21 4 1 1420 76 1126 Record
5 Rollins 20 15 1 4 1411 78 1128 Record

Playing for nothing
DI Rankings
149 Kennesaw State 20 11 4 5 1382 72 1159
164 Georgia State 20 11 9 0 1350 74 1274
189 Mercer 20 11 5 4 1277 70 1154

Of course, KSU can always walk about the glory days of DII. But at least their basketball team gets their name at the bottom of the ESPN Ticker now when they lose by 40.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

As far as rankings go...

March 26 2009, 11:17 AM 

This is what the NCAA thinks - KSU #77 & Mercer #117. Considerable difference from 149 and 189. Oblivion might be a stretch.

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2008WSOrpi1.html

Respond to this message   
anon

thanks,,,,we won't waste a trip to Columbus then...my

March 25 2009, 8:46 AM 

daughter definitely wants a balance and would play DI is she didn't.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Look For Yourself, Don't Accept Answers on Here as Gospel

March 25 2009, 9:33 AM 

eom

Respond to this message   
anon

no thanks...it's not like Columbus is a dream city to spend

March 25 2009, 2:46 PM 

your college years anyway.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: no thanks...it's not like Columbus is a dream city to spend

March 26 2009, 3:25 PM 

Columbus is not a bad town.My daughter actually likes it. It smaller than Atlanta but much bigger than Athens or Milledgeville. Nice riverfront, tons of places to shop and eat, and lots of activities downtown. Good majors in the arts, nursing and education. Auburn is close so she and her friends occasional go there. Campus is much nicer than AASU.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: thanks,,,,we won't waste a trip to Columbus then...my

March 26 2009, 12:32 PM 

If you think that soccer at the DII schools mentioned is not a 100% commitment, then you are kidding yourself. These schools are currently doing 2 & 3 practices/workouts per day, and you will have no time for anything else but school. And if you are thinking of any other type of socializing, think again. You will have no other friends other than the girls on the team.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

100% is "relative"...

March 26 2009, 9:47 PM 

There is a marked difference between programs at DI vs DII schools. Much more time spent off the field in speed & agil., strength cond., off-season work, etc. Some kids decide they can fulfill their athletic desires just as well at the DII level, balanced with a bit of a life away from their chosen sport. Most of the time that simply cannot happen at BigBux U.

Respond to this message   
Anon

Idiot Parents

March 27 2009, 8:36 AM 

When are you people going to realize it is about the education your child is going to get not the ranking of the soccer team. You need to start to realize the end of their soccer career is near the end. GCSU, Mercer and even GA Southern from a academic standpoint are way ahead of Columbus State. 10 years from now it will not matter where the soccer team was ranked unless you are talking about GPA.

You had better get a life or you will be hanging around soccer fields in your wheelchair.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Based on what subjective measure?

March 28 2009, 1:14 PM 

I interview, hire, fire, and work with graduates from every school you list, and then some. I found out (very quickly) working and managing in the real world that the school's name is 100% meaningless in any hiring or promotion decision. High quality educations are available at EVERY one of those schools for kids that want it, and you're kidding yourself and selling some very good schools short to think otherwise. About the only thing that expensive U diploma means to me as a potential employer is that mommy and daddy had some money to spend.

But hey, if want to send your $$ to the DI gods, go for it!

Respond to this message   
anon

lol now that is one way to scare off all recruits...the coaches

March 27 2009, 9:32 AM 

we have talked to seem to think they have a balance and that there is time for other activities.Are you calling them untruthful? No time for anything else..lol

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Reality Check

March 27 2009, 12:15 PM 

Yes, if the coach says there is time for other social activities... they are not being truthful. We personally know girls in these DII programs and almost 100% of their non-school time is taken up with soccer related activities. In addition, these coaches actively discourage any other social pursuits. If your daughter has not spoken to the actual team members about the time they put into soccer, she is making a huge mistake. Do not listen only to the "sales pitch" of the coach.

You should be asking the coach things like what other social activities do some of the girls do? Can they even play soccer with their desired major? Some majors require time outside of school to fulfill graduation requirements, majors like nursing, teaching, athletic training, pre-physical therapy all have clinicals and student teaching requirements that do not allow time for 2-a-day and 3-a-day practices. The time & location for some of these clinicals/student teaching may not even allow them to make one practice. If your daughter wants to do those things and in fact is choosing the school for these majors, it will take 5+ years to graduate and also play varsity soccer.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

this is a total lie. my daughter attends one of the top PBC schools

March 28 2009, 1:37 AM 

and her coach has NEVER discouraged her from taking any class or lab.if she has to miss a practice because of it, so be it.she is able to make it up. also she has plenty of time for outside pursuits.it is all about time management.

Respond to this message   
anon

so truthfully, what schools do they have a good balance? eom

March 28 2009, 10:47 AM 

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

as has been said before, go and see and interview for yourself to see what school would be

March 28 2009, 12:53 PM 

a good fit for your daughter.my daughter never wanted soccer to be her whole life but she did want a good coach and team. she is at a top pbc school and is enjoying her school and soccer experience.I have never heard her complain once that soccer was taking up too much of her time.
take what you read on this forum with a grain of salt because I have come to the conclusion that some parents who post on here have gripes with certain schools and/or coaches possibly because of jealousy or whatever. that's why I say find out for yourself before you write a school off.

Respond to this message   
anon

thanks we are doing that, but since some on this forum

March 28 2009, 6:54 PM 

think the coaches lie in the interviews about having a balance and time for other social aspects in college, I asked you. You seem to know what you are talking about and I just wanted a truthful answer about which schools allow a balance. We are looking at three Peachbelt schools and wanted a truthful answer.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Here is a truthful answer

March 28 2009, 8:55 PM 

My daughter is at AASU and they have balance. Coach allows players to miss training for labs, student teaching, etc. Radiology major this past season missed numerous practices due to practicals. He told us when he recruited her he would be that way and he has been 100% true to his word.

Respond to this message   
anon

Thanks for being truthful...we are going to visit that school

March 29 2009, 10:07 AM 

later in April so at least we will know he is telling the truth. Thanks again.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Agree...

March 28 2009, 1:17 PM 

we got the same story chatting with other PBC coaches and players. It is perfectly OK to miss an occasional practice due to academic obligations. Love it!

Respond to this message   
anon

and which school is this?? eom

March 30 2009, 8:20 AM 

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

It's...

March 30 2009, 10:31 PM 

almost any PBC school. But don't look for a reliable answer here. Visit and talk to the players!

Respond to this message   
anon

lol now we know that is not true ...some of these coaches

March 31 2009, 3:53 PM 

do not give players any time for a balance in the college experience. I appreciate the people stating which schools do...not just "all".

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: lol now we know that is not true ...some of these coaches

April 23 2009, 3:37 PM 

GCSU: no time for non-soccer activities. Coach will question the player "How does this bring value to the soccer program". He will also conveniently schedule practices to make it virtually impossible to do anything else, even be able to eat in the cafeteria. And that is the truth. But, we hear that some of the upperclassmen have perfected the off-campus party atmosphere!

Watch GCSU soccer lose its perennial academic awards next year, as many players are barely passing. New coach does not require mandatory study hall for incoming freshman or older players with poor grades! Too bad for a school that is supposed to be an up & coming academic institution here in GA.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Agree...

April 6 2009, 12:20 AM 

Missing "an occasional practice" is not the same as missing ALL practices due to your student teaching. Trust me, the coach will def not be okay with that.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Missing ALL practices?

April 11 2009, 10:48 PM 

If a student is missing all practices, then they have no business being on a college athletic roster. Time to quit and move on to bigger things!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

BINGO!

April 20 2009, 12:43 PM 

BINGO! That is the point. If you daughter thinks she can play varsity college soccer for 4 years AND fulfill her obligations to student teach for a teaching degree or fulfill clinical requirements for a nursing/PT/athletic training degree in four years, think again. She won't. It just cannot happen.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: this is a total lie. my daughter attends one of the top PBC schools

April 3 2009, 8:58 AM 

I never said the coach discouraged the players. It is the advisers in the school program that discourage the students from playing soccer. And yes, there are players that manage to do it. But as previously stated, they are doing it in over 4 years. They take the last semester or two (after they finish their 4 years of soccer eligibility) to complete their clinical/student teaching requirement. Check it out before you write.

It may not be that difficult to complete these requirements in a larger city (such as Savannah), but in a small town in the middle of nowhere (Milledgeville, for example), it is a lot more difficult because there are so few local schools and medical facilities. Again, talk to someone other than the coach! If she is interested in these majors you must speak to the department and get their perspective on their students playing soccer.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - D2 programs
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Page Views in 2009