Email the Moderator   Back to GA Forum II  

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Why join a fraternity?

June 2 2010 at 11:39 PM
Anonymous 

What is Recruitment or "Rush"?
Recruitment, or "rush," is the term used for the period of requirment of new members for fraternities.

What is "Greek"?
Since the late 1700's, college fraternities have been identified by two or three letters from the Greek alphabet, which starts with Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, etc. The largest fraternity, with over 280 college chapters, is Tau Kappa Epsilon. usually known as TKE or Teke.

Why Join a Fraternity?
By joining the Greek community, a wealth of opportunities will be awaiting you. You will have the chance to develop new friendships, take part in meaningful campus activities, intramurals, and community service events, and develop your leadership skills. Fraternities were founded on the principles of scholarship, leadership, community service, and development of lifelong friendships. All fraternities have something unique to offer, and membership in a fraternity will add a new dimension of leadership, academic involvement, friendship, and fun to your college career.

What's the Interfraternitiy Council, the IFC?
The fraternities on campus are self-governing, through the Interfraternitiy Council. The Interfraternitiy Advisor or Greek Advisor in the Student Services or Dean's Office advises the IFC. Proceedures for Recruitment or "Rush" are set by the IFC.

For more information, visit the "Interfraternitiy Council" or "Fraternity"

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

And don't forget...

June 3 2010, 6:05 AM 

All the hazing, boozing, drugs, homoerotic and misogynistic attitudes that you'll also be exposed to, in your fraternity. All that also adds to the total college experience.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Why join a fraternity?

June 3 2010, 9:21 AM 

"Why Join a Fraternity?
By joining the Greek community, a wealth of opportunities will be awaiting you. You will have the chance to develop new friendships, take part in meaningful campus activities, intramurals, and community service events, and develop your leadership skills. Fraternities were founded on the principles of scholarship, leadership, community service, and development of lifelong friendships. All fraternities have something unique to offer, and membership in a fraternity will add a new dimension of leadership, academic involvement, friendship, and fun to your college career."

Are you kidding me? I have nothing against fraternities, but I have steered my kids away from those schools that are so Greek that you have to be in a fraternity or sorority to have even a semblance of a social life.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

June 3 2010, 4:03 PM 

"I have steered my kids away from those schools that are so Greek that you have to be in a fraternity or sorority to have even a semblance of a social life."

I doubt this is the case anywhere these days.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

June 3 2010, 10:55 PM 

Ole Miss and Alabama are very much that way.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

June 3 2010, 9:48 AM 

Why MAKE friends, when you can BUY them?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

June 5 2010, 11:40 PM 

People are always saying that greeks buy their friends. Seems that is true for only the first year. After that people are paying to be your friend.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

not unless you stop paying dues *

June 11 2010, 12:01 PM 

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

June 7 2010, 11:19 AM 

GREG: I'm not going to say Omega's the best house on campus, but a lot of outstanding guys figure
they'll pledge Omega or won't pledge at all.

We do have more than our share of campus leaders...
something that never looks bad on your permanent record.

Sure. Everybody says Omega's the best, but...I hate to seem...you know, pushy.

Let the unacceptable candidates worry, because after tonight, they're.......
you are...Kent!

I'm Greg Marmalard, president of Omega House. Meet my friends, Mandy Pepperidge...

We already met.

GREG: ...and Chip Diller.
CHIP: How are you?

How are you?

Over there is Terry Auerback, captain of the swim team.

That's Carl Phillips, editor of the Daily Faberian.

And...

Clayton.

Sidney.

Jugdish, Mohammet, Lonny--

-We already met.
-Super! Then you'll have lots to talk about.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Who was hotter???

June 7 2010, 4:15 PM 

Mandy Pepperidge or Babs Jansen??? Of course it may have been Vonn Liebowitz, but she died before we got the chance to know.

Respond to this message   
Anon

Re: Who was hotter???

June 7 2010, 6:46 PM 

The dean's wife was a cougar.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Who was hotter???

June 8 2010, 11:36 AM 

Tim Matheson and the Vonn Liebowitz charade is one of the all time classics. Millions of young men saying to themselves, "DAMN, I wish I had thought of that".

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Why join a fraternity?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Page Views in 2009