Email the Moderator   Back to GA Forum II  

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

2011 Women's College Cup to Kennesaw State

August 31 2010 at 8:43 PM
Collegewatcher 

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/083110aaa.html

Aug. 31, 2010

NCAA Release

INDIANAPOLIS - The NCAA Division I Women's Soccer Committee has announced Kennesaw State University will serve as the host for the 2011 NCAA Women's College Cup.

The committee is pleased to select Kennesaw State as host of the 2011 NCAA Womens College Cup, said Lisa Campos, chair of the NCAA Division I Womens Soccer Committee and senior associate athletic director at the University of Texas at El Paso. The committee is confident in Kennesaw States ability to elevate the championship and student-athlete experience, which is a priority in the selection of a championship site.

The Womens College Cup, which consists of the two national semifinals and the championship game for Division I womens soccer, will be played Dec. 2-4, 2011, at the KSU Soccer Stadium in Kennesaw, Ga.

We're excited and honored to have been chosen as the host university for the 2011 Women's College Cup, said Rob King, head womens soccer coach at Kennesaw State and co- tournament director of the event. "The new KSU Soccer Stadium is the country's premier women's soccer specific stadium and we look forward to showcasing college soccer's most prestigious event."

For more information on the Division I Womens Soccer Championship, log on to NCAA.com.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
anon

Better article on the KSU page

August 31 2010, 9:00 PM 

KSU Soccer Stadium to Host 2011 Women's College Cup

Event will mark first-ever NCAA championship final to be held at A-Sun school
by Scott Lipsky
Bookmark and Share
8/31/2010 1:57:35 PM

KENNESAW, Ga. Kennesaw State University will serve as host of the 2011 Womens College Cup, and will be held at the brand-new KSU Soccer Stadium, the NCAA announced on Tuesday. The event will be held Dec. 2 and 4, and will be the first NCAA Division I championship to be held on the KSU campus.

KSU Soccer Stadium is the home to the Owls womens soccer team and the Atlanta Beat of Womens Professional Soccer. It opened its doors in May of this year, with the Black and Gold playing their first match in their new friendly confines on Aug. 14. An 8,300 seat facility built specifically for womens soccer, KSU Soccer Stadium is the largest gender-specific soccer stadium in the country.

The committee is thrilled with the selection of Kennesaw State as host of the 2011 NCAA Womens Soccer College Cup. The committees priority is to select a championship site that will continue to elevate the championship experience, meanwhile enhancing the student-athlete experience, said Dr. Lisa Campos, the NCAA Division I womens soccer chairperson. We are confident Kennesaw State is committed to these goals and will conduct a first-class championship.

By hosting the Womens College Cup, Kennesaw State finds themselves in prestigious company. The event, which is made up of the semifinals and finals of the NCAA Womens Soccer Championship, has been hosted exclusively by Texas A&M and North Carolina State over the last seven years, with N.C. State playing host once again in Cary, N.C. this coming December. Womens soccer juggernaut North Carolina has also hosted seven times since the championshipss inception in 1982. Kennesaw State will become the first Atlantic Sun Conference school to play host to the final rounds of an NCAA championship in any sport.

We're thrilled that the 2011 NCAA Women's College Cup Champion will be decided at Kennesaw State's new soccer stadium. The A-Sun plays in many outstanding facilities, and KSU's soccer stadium is second to none, said Ted Gumbart, Atlantic Sun Conference Commissioner. This will be a tremendous site and KSU, past host of numerous A-Sun soccer championships, will do an excellent job as host for the Women's College Cup.

Owls head coach Rob King, who will be co-chairing the event, was excited to hear that the program would be hosting an event of this magnitude, and cant wait to see the highest level of womens college soccer right on his teams home field.

"We're excited and honored to have been selected as the host university for the 2011 Women's College Cup, King said on Tuesday. The new Kennesaw State University Soccer Stadium is the country's premier women's soccer-specific stadium and we look forward to showcasing college soccer's most prestigious event."

The Black and Gold are no strangers to hosting NCAA tournaments. During their Division II days, womens soccer hosted the national quarterfinals of the NCAA Championship in 2003 on their way to the national title. Baseball played host to NCAA Division II Regionals for four years straight, from 1995 to 1998. Most recently, mens basketball hosted the Division II Southeast Regional during their national title run in 2004. Softball and womens basketball also hosted regionals on the Kennesaw State campus before the program made the jump to Division I.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - 2011 Women's College Cup to Kennesaw State
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Page Views in 2009