Email the Moderator   Back to GA Forum II  

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Spring season

January 6 2011 at 9:11 AM
Anonymous 

How much time is devoted to soccer for the spring season? My daughter's first yr. Will she have more time to study in spring or will the time devoted to soccer be about the same-just more weights?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

Fewer games and less travel...

January 6 2011, 11:33 AM 

but practice time is about the same (depending of course on the program).

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

thanks..eom

January 6 2011, 12:37 PM 

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: thanks..eom

January 6 2011, 1:03 PM 

Typically graduating seniors do not play so the coaches are looking at which Fr and So can move into their playing slots for next year. Winning is not uppermost on the coaches mind so that sort of pressure is less.
The season only lasts about 5-6 weeks, late Feb to early April.
However, strength and condioning training is year round.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Don't forget about

January 6 2011, 1:10 PM 

Individual sessions too

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

I appreciate the info

January 6 2011, 2:07 PM 

this is my daughter's first year and I didn't know what to expect. You hear so many different things. Her coach told us that soccer was year round, just didn't know how much time would be needed for games in spring. They will have a conditioning test the 2nd week they get back to see who has been keeping up with the assigned running.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

I think it is generally true

January 6 2011, 4:45 PM 

that in the spring, players are not allowed to miss class time for soccer practice, games, etc.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: I think it is generally true

January 6 2011, 7:30 PM 

When would they miss class time in the fall for practice?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

I was just trying to be complete in my description

January 7 2011, 11:15 AM 

of what things might arise. I am probably being nit picky.

But what I was thinking about was the case when they leave a day early for road games to get in a practice at the road venue the day before the game.

In the spring, teams would not worry about such things and would normally travel to and from the road venue on the day of the game. I believe there are rules that limit travel flexibility in the spring that force teams to handle it this way. Budgets also come into play.

Respond to this message   
anonymous

Spring should be for knockout tourneys and friendly matches

January 12 2011, 2:28 PM 

I may be all alone here, but I think that the competitive season shouldn't be squeezed into the fall semester. Teams should play their conference rivals TWICE, once at home and once away, during the fall semester. Then the spring could feature group stages and knockout tournaments (similar to the FA cup or Champions/Europa league) for top teams from each division/conference, the number depending on the relative strength of each. If set up right, some lower division team could potentially "win it all" similar to how teams from outside the top flight league have won the FA cup in the past. Teams who don't make the cut(s) can schedule "friendly" matches with other teams (not necessarily college teams or even from the same division) in their region as is done currently.

More than anything else, this would really boost the prowess of colleges and universities either in the South (like here in Georgia) or with an indoor stadium, whether on campus or nearby. Some may suggest that northern colleges without indoor stadiums would be unable to compete, but if they can do it in Russia, why not here?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Answer is simple

January 12 2011, 10:16 PM 

Because of money and because the reason you go to college is to get an education. If you want to play soccer year round, go pro.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Less than half graduate

January 13 2011, 2:55 AM 

and only a tiny fraction of those really get "educated"...indoctrinated is a better word for what most get.

Currently, only 54% of students entering college have a degree within 6 years.
Apparently there's some other reason people go.
Maybe, just maybe, it's sports...at least for some. And we can't all play basketball.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Maybe it's your math....

January 14 2011, 8:43 AM 

If 54% have degrees within 6 years, that would mean MORE than half graduate, within 6 years.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

And what would be the point of all that?

January 12 2011, 10:51 PM 

- Play soccer year-round
- Build indoor soccer stadiums - How would you pay for them?
- Double the expenses for travel - Why would a school want to do that?
- Double the impact on students' time for practices and games, which eats into their time available for academics.

What would be the benefits of all these costs? Would the improved "prowess" of these college players mean they would now be able to play soccer professionally?

Would that be the WPS? which is down to 6 teams?

Or the MLS? with its great $40k salary?

Respond to this message   
anonymous

What if you have barely enough to compete?

January 26 2011, 11:14 AM 

Do some of the seniors sometimes come back to fill in the roster and give the team a little more depth?

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Spring season
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Page Views in 2009