Email the Moderator   Back to GA Forum II  

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Four AFC Lightning 92 Transfer Colleges

January 24 2011 at 2:26 PM
Anonymous 

Four players off of AFC Lightning's 92 team have left their schools.

Kelsey Barr Transferred from South Carolina to Kennesaw State

Katrina Frost Transferred from South Carolina to Kennesaw State

Jewelia Strickland Transferred from Alabama to Kennesaw State

A'shanae Monroe Transferred from Ole Miss to Armstrong Atlantic

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
anon

Re: Four AFC Lightning 92 Transfer Colleges

January 24 2011, 10:18 PM 

This should be proof that KSU and CSU could compete in the SEC. These are all good soccer players, but received very little playing time in the SEC. They should play a large role for KSU next year in that conference.

Respond to this message   
anon

January 24 2011, 10:34 PM 

How is this proof Kennesaw should be in the SEC? If these players did not play while at a SEC school, then they are not at that level.

Respond to this message   
You can't be serious

January 27 2011, 11:12 AM 

If you're getting let go of an SEC school you couldn't play there. KSU and other schools that size make a living off of rejects from bigger schools because it will help them. You may not be able to play at an SEC school but it doesn't mean you're not good enough to play against an SEC school and compete. But no way KSU is ready for SEC. That's laughable.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

February 24 2011, 1:36 PM 

Exactly be real

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

January 25 2011, 11:13 AM 

What it proves is too many players are going to DI schools that are above their heads.

It shows that coaches, parents and players need to be more realistic about their search.

Too many players learn too late that DI soccer is not for everyone, no matter what team you played on before then.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

You may be right, but regarding KSU ...

January 25 2011, 11:35 AM 

KSU should be much stronger with these new transfers. Hopefully they will bring in a few strong freshmen too.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

another transfer coming to KSU

January 25 2011, 12:04 PM 

Not for me to say exacltly who, but these won't be the only players leaving the SEC for KSU.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

KSU sits in prime position

January 25 2011, 12:31 PM 

... to get all these Atlanta kids that want to come home.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Kennesaw is D1....

January 25 2011, 1:24 PM 

So what do you really mean?

Respond to this message   

no Kennesaw is not D1

January 25 2011, 1:54 PM 

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

D1 schools in Georgia

January 25 2011, 2:20 PM 

Georgia Bulldogs and Lady Bulldogs1
University of Georgia
Athens
Southeastern Conference

Georgia Southern Eagles and Lady Eagles
Georgia Southern University
Statesboro
Southern Conference

Georgia State Panthers
Georgia State University
Atlanta
Colonial Athletic Association

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta
Atlantic Coast Conference

Kennesaw State Owls and Lady Owls
Kennesaw State University
Kennesaw
Atlantic Sun Conference

Mercer Bears
Mercer University
Macon
Atlantic Sun Conference

Savannah State Tigers and Lady Tigers
Savannah State University
Savannah
Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: no Kennesaw is not D1

January 25 2011, 2:39 PM 

Atlantic Sun, DI, Haven't been DII since early 2000s

Respond to this message   
anon

January 25 2011, 11:55 AM 

The original post should have said proof they CANNOT compete in the SEC. Apologies for my complete and utter lack of clarity.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

disagree

January 25 2011, 12:12 PM 

There are a number of reasons for any kid to transfer. It isn't always about not being able to compete.

Maybe they were oversold on the school and the opportunity to play. Grades. Boys. Distance from home. Head coach is a jerk compared to the assistant who recruited me. The R3PL/ODP/superstar since church league kid can't handle not being the best person on the field. The D1 scholarship Mom and Dad pushed me to take so they could brag to their friends wasn't my first choice and really turned into a suckfest. The list goes on and on...

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Money plays a role as well

January 25 2011, 3:24 PM 

At some point the reality of college expenses start to break through the star-eyed dreams of playing college soccer, while out-of-state.

Unless you are a superstar, in most case you are paying out-of-state tuition which is being off-set by a partial athletic scholarship, that may also be taxable income!

So, for most people, paying $15-25k out-of-pocket (or similar loans), to attend an out-of-state public school, is not worth it. Especially when you consider these same players can get Hope and an equivalent athletic scholarship to cover everything in-state.

Now, whether Kennesaw is the appropriate academic institution for all of these players, is another story.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

January 25 2011, 3:38 PM 

"This should be proof that KSU and CSU could compete in the SEC. These are all good soccer players, but received very little playing time in the SEC. They should play a large role for KSU next year in that conference."

Read the above a couple times, think about it, and then tell us if it makes any sense.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Interesting

January 25 2011, 12:26 PM 

Of these four, one played in 24 games, the others 0, 2, and 8. All had all of the right credientials, ODP, State Cups, etc, but three of them barely got a sniff of the field, if that.

This falls in line with what I've heard from a couple of SEC coaches - some to my daughter, some to teammates - who were being recruited. 'I think you can help the program, but don't expect playing time until you are a junior. The SEC is a tough, physical league, and you will not last without some serious weightroom and cardio work for the first two years.'

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

January 25 2011, 12:29 PM 

Yes these players would make KSU & CSU stronger. However, KSU plays in a weak conference and CSU would continue to dominate DII (Peachbelt).

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

January 25 2011, 12:30 PM 

Monroe is going to Armstrong, not CSU. Not sure why everyone keep refering to CSU.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

One more to the list...

January 25 2011, 3:18 PM 

Emily Cox Transferred from Alabama to Kennesaw State.

Guess playing 0 minutes with 3 keepers ahead of her wasn't what she bargained for...

Respond to this message   
anon

and transfering

January 25 2011, 10:23 PM 

wont change that...dont know much about KSU keepers but Cox is just not very athletic...IMHO

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: and transfering

January 26 2011, 10:18 AM 

4 State Cups and a third place finish at Nationals, Region 3 Championship, and 5 years of ODP. Guess there are a lot of defenders covering for her lack of athleticism.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

You got it...

January 26 2011, 12:15 PM 

The defenders made her look very, very good. And she was pretty good at direct shots.

But any lob over the defenders that was in her direction had a better than even chance of going over her head and into the net.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

You have got to be kidding

January 26 2011, 2:55 PM 

Either that, or she beat out your kid for a spot on the team.

Fine keeper, end of story.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: You have got to be kidding

January 29 2011, 11:40 PM 

Thanks Mom

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Not mom

January 31 2011, 1:47 PM 

just know a good keeper when I see one.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

January 26 2011, 9:23 PM 

What a loser to post something like this! My daughter played with and against her for many year. Even present 'starters' on some of these SEC schools couldn't score on her. She is an excellent keeper, no attitude, no ego and an even nicer girl. Watched her play for the past 5-6 years and she's very hard to score on. Definitely a huge gain for KSU!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

February 24 2011, 1:42 PM 

Heard that

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

FP has been working hard!

January 25 2011, 11:31 PM 

A lot of his state team kids huh?

Respond to this message   
anonymous

Having a daughter playing in college

January 26 2011, 8:37 AM 

it has become very apparent to me that it is a much more difficult transition from being the star player to being just another player. It happens on every level, and mentally, emotionally, it is very difficult to deal with, even if you are told what to expect up front. Fact is you've always played most of the minutes and now sitting and watching others is not easy. This has a much bigger impact on these types of decisions and decisions to give up the game than you will know. We see the little nagging injury which you used to play thru now becomes a more reason for not playing; there the kid that plays when they are no where near as good as the kid that sits, as a society instant gradification is expected - no longer 'wait your turn' - etc. All these kids probably have the ability to play at SEC level, some of them in time, but many don't want to wait. I hope these and all of those that are in this situation get whatever it is they are looking for.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

I agree

January 26 2011, 9:45 AM 

College is where everyone is good; the players were all the better ones on their club and/or high school team. As a freshman you are coming into a program where the upperclassmen have been playing at this level for a few years, and in most cases, they are far stronger physically. They have been in the weight room, they have been practicing as a team for at least a year and unless you are really, and I mean, really prepared and a very, very good player, you are not going to displace an upperclassman.

If you are not willing to work extremely hard in practice and off the field in the weight room, etc. as well as keeping your grades up, while probably sitting on the bench, or getting mimimal minutes, then you probably choose the school for the wrong reasons. If you are willing to do all of that, have a discussion at the end of the season to see if you will get more playing time the next year. Spring season is gearing up also; do you get more playing time now, especially now that the seniors have left the program?

Transferring is always an option. Although my daughter stayed all four years, there have been a lot of transfers-both in and out-on her team. The ones that left, really did not leave for soccer. It was for a boyfriend, a different major, and closer to home. I do have to say the 3 transfers that came in the last two years did make an impact on the team and their success.

Respond to this message   
anon

Don't overlook

January 26 2011, 11:05 AM 

the fact that many kids (not specifically these ones but in general) have experienced nothing but soccer growing up - now they are in college, on there own, having a good time - not necessarily talking about partying - but just enjoy their new life away from mom and dad, and find that the couple-few thousand dollars they get doesn't feed the passion anymore - 'it's just not as much fun anymore' - how many times have we heard that? Hate to say it but being a college athlete is more like having a job, and many can't handle that, and some have never worked any kind of job before so it's a whole new feeling.

Respond to this message   
anonymous

D1 to D1

January 26 2011, 8:37 AM 

do they have to sit out a year like in other sports?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: D1 to D1

January 26 2011, 10:04 AM 

No, if the school they were at grants them a one time transfer release.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

KSU recruiting question

January 26 2011, 10:59 AM 

Are these the only recruits for KSU this year? Are there any current HS seniors coming into KSU next season. Curious to know how strong the team might be next year.

These transfers seem to be pretty good on paper. I have a HS junior considering the school, and I'm just wondering if the new stadium or any other factors are helping KSU recruit stronger players.

Respond to this message   
anonymous

That should be a small

January 26 2011, 11:12 AM 

part of your decision - does she like the school - does she like the educational opportunities or do they have the a top notch program in what she wants to major in - etc. These kids that transfer are going to be two years ahead of her and below are the verbal(s) who have posted on google - soccer recruits so far - next week is signing day so I am sure that shortly after that KSU will have something about who signed on their website.

Hughes, Iyani F Chelsea, AL Birmingham United
Nelson, Julia F Marietta, GA NASA

Respond to this message   
anon

KSU recruits

January 26 2011, 12:11 PM 

I hear the stadium is beginning to have a huge impact on their recruiting. They had 5 transfer in this semester, are signing 4 next week and have 3 national team players committed. I would expect them to become good in a hurry.

Respond to this message   
anonymous

this is kind of funny

January 27 2011, 7:27 AM 

kids signing because of a stadium? To be honest it's still going to be mostly empty. At best they will get 500-1000 at a match...and that's at best.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Not sure what your point is???

January 27 2011, 10:24 AM 

I don't think anyone signs solely because of the stadium, but it would be a perk I suppose. There are many reasons to sign at KSU. For alot I would think just being near home is a benefit. Some kids don't have the burning desire to get away, and that should be fine for them.

As far as fans go ... I'd think they would be pretty happy with 1000 fans at games. College soccer doesn't draw many fans anywhere unfortunately. Bringing in top players and winning games playing exciting soccer is the best way to bring people to the game. But I think as far as any college soccer team goes, it is about winning more than fans.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

1,000 fans? Really?

January 27 2011, 11:21 AM 

For at least the past two seasons, they averaged less than 600 fans per game. That left plenty of empty seats in their previous stadium.

Do you really think that having a bigger stadium to fill, will cause a increase of more than 67%?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

I thought I said they would be happy with 1000

January 27 2011, 11:36 AM 

Did you even read what I wrote. I was simply referring to the previous post that indicated the stadium wouldn't draw more fans. I think if 1000 fans showed up to watch the KSU would be thrilled ... am I mistaken????

Respond to this message   
anon

If you read the original post

January 27 2011, 1:17 PM 

you would see what the point is...the poster said "I hear the stadium is beginning to have a huge impact on their recruiting" - I struggle to believe that girls are flocking to KSU for the stadium - that's my point.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

it's a huge piece of the puzzle

January 27 2011, 5:25 PM 

The new stadium and facilities associated with it add to what was already a program with a lot of past success as well as a bright future. One should actually do some research about KSU as an academic institution before going on past ideas of it being a junior college or even a small college.

The stadium is awesome as is the university.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

3 national team players have committed to KSU?

January 27 2011, 10:12 PM 

I find that very hard to believe. That would be quite an achievement for an SEC or ACC school, let alone KSU.

National team players typically have their choice of virtually any school they want. While KSU is a fine little school, it's not Notre Dame or Stanford or UNC. Three national team players in a year is good even by the standards of the top soccer schools.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: 3 national team players have committed to KSU?

January 28 2011, 7:35 AM 

The poster did not say US National team players. Most likely foreign national team playersm

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Where are the four new recruits ...

February 7 2011, 11:48 AM 

Did they not sign them. No mention of signings yet on the KSU website. Just curious, want to know who they are.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

It's on there now.

February 10 2011, 3:03 PM 

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

GA Freshmen in SEC

January 26 2011, 7:54 PM 

Several GA freshmen this year had great first seasons in the SEC - McCalla, Emerson (Ole Miss), Locandro, Newfield (UGA), Au (USC). These players started most if not all games and played big roles all season. Several named to all SEC teams, SEC freshmen of the week, etc and would not have traded the experience for anything.

Players need to be strong, mature, and take a realistic assessment of their own talent level compared to the rest of the team. Coaches look to fill the roster with as many good players as possible. In the first 1-2 weeks of preseason coaches decide on their starters and 7-8 travel players. If you're not in that group, it's not going to happen.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

For most, college soccer is like HS soccer

January 27 2011, 7:43 AM 

Other than some of the top colleges, many college programs are like pumped up HS soccer.

The quality of soccer in many D1 schools, is often not as good as at the top U-17/18 club soccer teams.

There is still a "wait your turn" philosophy, for many college coaches. So even if a freshman has better skills, the junior/senior will still get more playing time, because "they have paid their dues". Since they sat on the bench as freshman/sophmore, you will sit on the bench. Yes, there are some schools where there is a true merit-based system, but those are often the exception.

Most top club players arrive in college, used to playing 40-50 games per year, and are in excellent aerobic and soccer shape, easily passing the fitness tests in the fall.

By contrast, college players rarely play more than 20 games in a year. They don't play more than a handfull of games in the spring, and therefore arrive in the fall with rusty soccer skills. The "you've got to hit the weight room" cliche is very much overused. Instead of working on core strength, speed and stamina, too many college players end up with bulky muscles that don't help you put the ball on target. So although they may be able to pass the fitness test and benchpress their fellow teammates, they can't dribble past a defender or put the ball on target.

Your kid's situation may be different, but this is what I have seen in many colleges.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Agreed

January 27 2011, 10:20 PM 

It's fitness for fitness sake, rather than fitness to improve soccer skills and ability. Plus, many college coaches seem to use fitness as a way to test mental strength and fortitude, as if the kids coming from top club teams need to be tested to see if they're mentally strong enough to play 90 minutes at the college level. Most of these kids have played two games a day, sometimes in searing heat, in club tournaments. Others have played a game a day for four or five consecutive days at regionals. IMHO, they'd be better off continuing to work on technical and tactical skills.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Let me help...

January 28 2011, 2:57 PM 

Being the father of a kid who was in this situation a few years ago, let me help ya'll get a perspective on this....

Perspectives:

1) The kids get to college and realize that they enjoy soccer, but they don't necessarily want to put in the time and effort required for Top 25 soccer. I say "TOP 25" because there is a different level of commitment required for TOP 25 soccer vs the rest of D1 or D2. Some have problem with not being able to come home their 1st semester away from home...

2) Out of state tutition plays a HUGE roll in this. Pay, 15K+ per year at an out of state school (Assuming 1/2 scholarship) or come back to GA, Pay a fraction of that after the same 1/2 scholarship (and potentially get more), get HOPE and be able to go home occasionally during the season.

3) Some, like you said, were SOLD the out of state program...a small injury or having an upperclassman in front of you, can make it tough because of having to deal with #1 above.

4) SOME coaches are REAL jerks...That doesn't show up during the recruitng process.

Now, none of this pointed in anyway to them not being able to compete on that level. Trust me, if they couldnt compete, they wouldnt have made it past Preseason...A few on my kids former team found that out.

Then there are situations of injury that hapen from simply playing a more physical level of soccer. If you miss that opportunity to gain favor early on...be prepared for the wooden horsey.

I'm saying all of this to say...don't automatically assume that the transferring player couldnt compete on that level. There are so many factors that go into that decision...

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Good explanations.

January 28 2011, 3:01 PM 

Those are all valid points, and KSU is a pretty good option for local kids.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Very good

January 29 2011, 9:29 PM 

All excellent points. Good luck to the transfers, I hope they have a wonderful college experience.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Let me help...

February 1 2011, 11:58 AM 

And lets not forget...

#5. Some girls on some teams are real biotches & make life miserable for new recruits. That too does not show up in the recruiting process.

Note to 2012 & 2013 recruits: Do everything you can to get the "real scoop" on the coach & players! Talk to current players & parents (who you trust) & former players about the team culture & coach. Go watch them play. See how the coaches (look closely at assistants too!) handle themselves & behave at games. Do not skip this! For example, if your player doesn't want to have a "screamer" during games, when you see it is the time to move on to looking at another team. Do this during the recruiting period, not when you get there. Also, tell your player to listen closely during he unofficial over night visit. Do the players complain? Do they have good attitudes? What is the pregame talk like?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

February 1 2011, 3:49 PM 

Definately wish we had done that!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

February 3 2011, 3:01 PM 

Amen to that! And don't forget that not every upperclassman on the team has the freshman's best interest at heart.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

January 28 2011, 3:04 PM 

I'll bet you THIS...KSU's recruiting classes for the coming years is getting stronger and stronger...Trust me Facilities play a lot in that.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

March 1 2011, 3:48 PM 

INNNNNNNDEEEEDDDD!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Four AFC Lightning 92 Transfer Colleges
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Page Views in 2009