Return to Index  

5th generation Ouraynian

January 5 2009 at 4:18 PM
jimrad  (Login jimrad100)
from IP address 209.234.111.114

Response to I'm so excited, I drove Red Mountain Pass all by my little self. :)

I grew up in Ouray. I was actually a fifth generation Ouraynian. My family used to provide the milk to all the miners around the area from the Highland Dairy which used to sit up above Black Lake.

I used to be a gold miner (late teens and early 20's) and worked in Silverton. My brothers, father and grandpa all worked in the mines: Idarado, Camp Bird, Revenue, Portland and the Sunnyside/Standard, to name a few. Red Mtn Pass was my daily commute, 12 months per year. As wild young miners, we drove that road like we were in Daytona - passing turkeys (tourists) on the inside or right side of the road on switchbacks, passing without passing lanes, all while chugging down Mooseheads.

Amazing that I'm still around to tell about it.

My mother passed away in Ouray in early '07. After her passing, my sister and my niece and nephew moved away from Ouray. Now, for the first time since the 1870's, there is nobody from my family tree living in Ouray. We sold my mom's house in late '07, but I still go back all the time. I can't help it. I was back this year over the 4th. If you've never been to Ouray for the 4th, you have to do it. You won't be disappointed.

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement