<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Ouray "Switzerland of America"

August 2 2005 at 10:46 PM

Dave O  (Login radialspokes)
from IP address 216.243.117.44

These are a few pics of Ouray.CO. Just a doorstep away from paradise!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

ColoradoGuy! :)
(Login stevegarufi)
+ Accepted Members +

August 3 2005, 6:34 AM 

Those are amazing photos, Dave. Here are my photos:

http://www.stevegarufi.com/ouray.htm

I love your photos so much that I'm going to link them to the front page!

-Steve

I am very grateful to have this web site!

Respond to this message   

Kansas Kelly
(Login sarcoxy)
+ Accepted Members +

I do love Ouray!

August 3 2005, 10:51 AM 

It's so incredibly beautiful. I need to plan a trip there!!

Respond to this message   

Littlehands
(Login Littlehands)

I like all the pictures of Ouray ...

August 4 2005, 7:48 PM 

I don't think I have been to this town, I'm sure I would have remembered it by the way it's in a bowl, surrounded by mountains and so nicely planned out!! Lovely, that's for sure!! Thanks Steve and Dave for showing us the pictures!! Love you,

Love you,
Littlehands

Respond to this message   
Dave O
(no login)

Steve ,If you ever get booted out of Manitou...

August 4 2005, 10:19 PM 

..Ouray would be an excellent thought of residence. I stated before that Pagosa would be a great place to live, but Ouray is closer to Heaven.

Respond to this message   

ColoradoGuy :)
(Login ColoradoGuy)
+ Accepted Members +

August 5 2005, 12:01 PM 

Ouray is indeed heaven, but living in Salida/Buena Vista area might be a little more practical for it's central location.

Love, Steve

Please support my sponsors! They help cover the costs of running this web site!
  • High Rise Coffee Roasters
  • The Homestead Restaurant (Florence, CO)
  • Journey of Hope Counseling
  • Knot Works Furniture Repair & Upholstery
  • Your Ideal Travel Agency
  • ColoradoGuy.com Novelty Gifts (Get a rockin' ColoradoGuy t-shirt for $14.99!)

•  
     Respond to this message   

Anastasia Rattray
    (Login queenantiquing_19)

I'm in love with this town!

September 15 2005, 2:08 AM 

I want to move there.

QA

Respond to this message   

Dave O
    (Login radialspokes)

Anastasia, you'd love this place!

September 15 2005, 11:59 PM 

It's totally boxed in by walls of volcanic mountain and thick forest. Mix it with snowcapped peaks,waterfalls,hot springs, and friendly people. If there was something to do there, i'd move in an instant. Down the road is Ridgeway, and that place isn't too bad either...

Respond to this message   

Anastasia Rattray
    (Login butterscotch_395)

I want to, but;

September 21 2005, 3:56 PM 

I have a weird feeling about it. I need to research it further.

I think it would be very wise to actually visit the place prior to leasing over the phone. As far as I know, it needs great renovation w/plumbing & foundation.

I know the rent is cheap, but may incur great charges I'm unable to afford after I get there.

More research, I'm afraid But I am in love with this town.

Cheers,
    QA

Respond to this message   

Jeep_Chick
    (Login _Jeep_Chick_)

rent cheap in Ouray? are you serious?

September 23 2005, 4:36 AM 

the buildings alone for commercial use are in the millions of dollars in price. According to my sources there isn't much in Ouray that has cheap rent. It is a small community but not cheap to live in. But I don't know what forum it was in but you said you have money so that's cool.

Nothing called the switzerland of america is cheap :)When are you moving there it sounds so exciting!

BuMMiTy BuMMiTy BuMMiTy BuMp EvErYtHiNg IS BeTTer IN A JEEP!!!

Love, Jeep_Chick

Respond to this message   

Jeep_Chick
    (Login _Jeep_Chick_)

Kelly maybe when Anastias Rattray moves there we can all go visit Ouray

September 23 2005, 4:39 AM 

BTW Anastaisa are you related to the famous Rattray family in Chicago? You mentioned your father is from Chicago.

Love, Jeep_Chick

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
    (Login butterscotch_395)

Well,

September 23 2005, 11:21 AM 

The place I wanted to rent was going for $695/mo. Not bad!

Still, it needs great renovations. It's in an opera house, built 1888. The plumbing and foundation is bad, very. I suppose you get what you pay for. I haven't been able to see the place physically, so...

I've acquired such a great deal of antiques. I don't know what to do with them. I don't know much about them. I am learning.

I've worked with asbestos and demolition while in the US. It's OK $, but it doesn't fill my heart with a passion. I want to do something I love while working. Killing buildings doesn't make me feel good.

I feel weird about this place, though. I haven't thought anything of buying a commercial space. Just renting. Still, I go with the fact that you get what you pay for. The price is just too cheap.

Respond to this message   

Anastasia Rattray
    (Login butterscotch_395)

I just read the last post you wrote

September 23 2005, 11:37 AM 

I don't think I'm related to the Rattrays (are they famous?) of Chicago.

I do know I'm related to the Rattrays of Blairgowrie, Perthshire, in Scotland. My cousin Clans are Stewarts (or Stuarts) and Bruce. I have known family (that I'm in touch with,) in Canada, Scotland, Australia, and California. It's ahuge Clan, and has many capillaries, if you will.

My father is Jewish. His surname is Snaman. He met my mother during the Korean War. My father was raised in Chicago under the name Snaman, but there was an adoption somewhere along the line. I'm still trying to find the biological mother of my father, as she died in childbirth and was underaged, and I think, uh, not well. Nevermind. As far as I know, the name was changed several times, from Schnaman, to Schnamann, etc.

My Rattray Clan name is not my true current surname. But I am a Rattray. I've had DNA tests, and have met many of my American cousins. I have a tattoo on my back of the Clan Crest (ie: my login pic), as many women of this Clan,(the younger generation) have begun to do. (It really, really hurt!) I hope that doesn't make me look bad; it's really a lovely tattoo. I like it.

I think it's really fun to find our geneology. I've found it to be a great hobby, and have made wonderful friends out of family.

I'm going to have to call the hierarchy of my Clan to see if there are Rattrays related to me in Chicago. How cool! I have a cousin in Modesto, CA who is working on our geneology. I have family throughout California. But it's an ongoing thing. But Chicago? I'm totally excited! I'll have to call my Dad and ask.

Thanks for this interesting piece to my family's puzzle!

Cheers
    QA

Respond to this message   

Jeep_Chick
    (Login _Jeep_Chick_)

yes there are thousands of Rattrays in the Chicago area

September 23 2005, 3:01 PM 

some very well known but a particular one yes, is famous.

"check out Guitar George he knows all the chords"

Love, Jeep_Chick

Respond to this message   

Jeep_Chick
    (Login _Jeep_Chick_)

Oh BTW I was under the impression that the Wright Opera House

September 23 2005, 3:22 PM 

in Ouray was still showing movies - holding workshops etc and meetings for literary interests?

"check out Guitar George he knows all the chords"

Love, Jeep_Chick

Respond to this message   

Annie
    (Login butterscotch_395)

You've got me really intrigued, now, Jeep Chick :)

September 24 2005, 5:44 PM 

I just got off the phone with my cousin in Modesto. She's the one doing all the geneology.

I have to ask, though, per Aimee (my cousin): Are the Rattrays in Chicago the cigar people or the biologists? (Personally, I have no idea what she's asking about.)

Also, my father is Jewish (Snaman or Schnamann) is all I know. He was born 1924 in Ranson, IL just outside of Chicago, in Cook County. He was adopted, and I don't know his biological parents' names. He's not a Rattray, that much I know for sure. Rattray comes from my mother's side.

This is fun, regardless. But very time-consuming.

Oh! I nearly forgot, the Wright Opera House is where I was looking to rent a space! Yes, they still show films, etc. The space I was interested in is in the back; the way it was explained to me is that you walk through the front doors of the 1st floor. There is a bakery/eatery there as you walk in. Then, there are small stores located along the walkway between the eatery and the lobby prior to going upstairs to the theatre. The space I was looking at is toward the back, on the R side. It has a studio apt. behind the store. I was also told that although the space doesn't have Main St. exposure, it gets plenty of people walking through, and antiques would be good.

Still, I feel strange signing a lease when I've never seen it. Also, I'd be dumb to leave my job and all for a dream. But I'd like to take holiday and check things out. I don't want this job forever. It's OK, but quite unrewarding. The pay is OK, but, well, it's just that it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life. And I don't want to live here for the rest of my life. I don't know what I want to do, but I suppose I'll figure it out soon enough.

I've done lots of research on this opera house, but if you know of anything at all, I'd love to hear it.

Many Thanks,
    QA

Respond to this message   

Annie (Anastasia)
    (Login butterscotch_395)

Oh, also, is there a better place to find out about the

September 24 2005, 6:05 PM 

foundation and plumbing? I haven't had much luck. There are less than 900 people in Ouray.

Thanks again,
    QA

Respond to this message   
    Jeep the Creep
    (no login)

eh? nm

September 24 2005, 9:08 PM 

Respond to this message   
    Lisa in OK
    (no login)

Hey I recognize the last picture.

November 2 2006, 1:20 PM 

Are you at the top of Imogene or maybe Engineer pass here?

I know this is a really old post, but I am extremely bored today.

Respond to this message   
    Lisa in OK
    (no login)

OK, I'm 99% sure that is Imogene Pass and

November 16 2006, 9:06 AM 

Ptarmigan Lake there?

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement