<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

I'm so excited, I drove Red Mountain Pass all by my little self. :)

July 6 2007 at 12:09 PM

mtsrool  (Login mtsrool)
+ Accepted Members +
from IP address 71.33.149.151

Note, this is the pass that all of the women in my family are scared of, so I consider it a major accomplishment, especially since just three months ago I was scared to drive on any mountain pass.

Lisa formerly of OK, now Lisa in Telly
MountainsRule.com
Myspace page

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

ColoradoGuy! :)
(Login stevegarufi)
+ Accepted Members +

I've driven it a few times ...

July 9 2007, 11:14 AM 

Here is one pictorial:
http://ouraylovers.com/red-mountain-pass.htm

I'll admit this is a very unnerving stretch right here...

-Steve

"I always wonder what folks in frozen lands will think when they discover that hell is full of grass yards that need mowing every day and heaven is a blazing desert." - Joel Smith

- Organ Pipe Cactus - Eating Photos

Respond to this message   

mtsrool
(Login mtsrool)
+ Accepted Members +

I'll tell you why that stretch of road scared me.

July 9 2007, 12:11 PM 

Jay and another unknown guy were riding their motorcycles right in front of me. A moron passed me and was riding right on the unknown guy's rear. It was quite scary and I wonder if that idiot was trying to kill someone. At least that kept me distracted from the fear of flying off the mountain.

MountainsRule.com
Myspace page

Respond to this message   

Vivian
(Login vivian2006)
+ Accepted Members +

Ooh that looks scary

July 17 2007, 11:47 PM 

Is it single lane or a two-way road? That bend in the road looks like the end of the road.

Reminds me of a part of Route Napoleon in France. That scared me to bits.

Vivian

Respond to this message   

mtsrool
(Login mtsrool)
+ Accepted Members +

It's a highway, Viv!!!

July 18 2007, 2:31 PM 

So it's definitely a 2-way road. Lots of fun.

MountainsRule.com
Myspace page

Respond to this message   

DK
(Login Tangents)

Re: It's a highway, Viv!!!

July 21 2007, 11:57 AM 

All of Highway 550 from Durango to Ouray is fun to drive, but especially Red Mountain Pass. In summer, anyway.

Respond to this message   

Raenita
(Login Raenita)
+ Accepted Members +

OMG, I don't think I could do that one.

September 2 2007, 2:06 PM 

I had a heart attack going up to Mt. Evans, I can't imagine this one *shakes, shivers*

Respond to this message   
jimrad
(Login jimrad100)

5th generation Ouraynian

January 5 2009, 4:18 PM 

I grew up in Ouray. I was actually a fifth generation Ouraynian. My family used to provide the milk to all the miners around the area from the Highland Dairy which used to sit up above Black Lake.

I used to be a gold miner (late teens and early 20's) and worked in Silverton. My brothers, father and grandpa all worked in the mines: Idarado, Camp Bird, Revenue, Portland and the Sunnyside/Standard, to name a few. Red Mtn Pass was my daily commute, 12 months per year. As wild young miners, we drove that road like we were in Daytona - passing turkeys (tourists) on the inside or right side of the road on switchbacks, passing without passing lanes, all while chugging down Mooseheads.

Amazing that I'm still around to tell about it.

My mother passed away in Ouray in early '07. After her passing, my sister and my niece and nephew moved away from Ouray. Now, for the first time since the 1870's, there is nobody from my family tree living in Ouray. We sold my mom's house in late '07, but I still go back all the time. I can't help it. I was back this year over the 4th. If you've never been to Ouray for the 4th, you have to do it. You won't be disappointed.

Respond to this message   
Chuck Merling
(Login chuckmerling)

Re: I'm so excited, I drove Red Mountain Pass all by my little self. :)

November 13 2009, 2:34 PM 

I was born & raised in Ouray and worked at Sonza's Grocery in the late 50s and soon after I got my license, the owner asked if I wanted to deliver groceries to an older gentleman who lived in the almost-deserted town of Ironton (just below the Idarado mine). I said YES and took off all by myself. I then understood why it bothered visitors for the first time as I was so scared even though I had ridden many times. By the 3rd time I delivered groceries to Ironton I loved it and still do to this day. Black Bear in a jeep -- well that is a different story...

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement