Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • WSDOT snowfall total?
    • (Premier Login hyak)
      Forum Owner
      Posted Apr 14, 2011 9:52 AM

The entire season the DOT numbers have been off, and sometimes by a lot. Today they listed the following:

Thu Apr 14 6 in

Says 6" new (was more like 2-3") and I think I heard on the radio they are claiming around 450" for the season which is far more then what has actually fallen (I have in the 360's). I'm sure our tax dollars are spending quite a bit to have these totals gathered, you would think they could at least be somewhat accurate. I think someone is sitting in Seattle looking at the DOT cam and guessing snow totals.

In a recent article on KOMO the DOT posts their snow totals from the past and for the years I've been counting the grand totals have been fairly close, within 10"-20" until the last 2 years and this season. 2 years ago the DOT reported 100" more then I did and last year 110" more. So far this season they are around 90" ahead of me so I wonder what they are doing different the past 3 seasons. Even the ski area totals are lower then the DOT on a daily basis and we all know they usually will exaggerate on the heavy end.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
      On the World-Wide-Web since 1997
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address