<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New changes for the summit

August 25 2007 at 10:24 AM
  (no login)
from IP address 76.28.147.1

From Skilifts.org forum:

-------------------

Anyone know what's happening with the Snoqualmie areas? I heard Booth Creek sold them to some company called CNL, but I've also heard the Boyne either has an interest in CNL or bought the areas from them.

Confirmation- Boyne is leasing the operation of the Snoqualmie areas from CNL, a similar setup to what Intrawest and the City of Denver have at Winter Park.

-------------------

Interesting... seeing what they have done with concession ski schools at Crystal.

- Bill

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
snoqpass
(Login snoqpass)

Re: New changes for the summit

August 25 2007, 10:55 AM 

Booth Creek sold it to CNL, Booth Creek still does the operations side. Not sure where Boyne came into this.

Respond to this message   

Jack
(Premier Login hyak)
Forum Owner

Re: New changes for the summit

August 25 2007, 11:20 AM 

I think someone was misinformed. Booth Creek still operates Snoquamlie under a lease agreement with CNL.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Respond to this message   
Johnnyboy
(no login)

Collusion

August 25 2007, 4:53 PM 

Booth sold to CNL. CNL leases back to Booth for operations BUT CNL is also VERY tight with Boyne and the word is the John Kirscher (from Crystal) is now doing much more than "consulting" at the Summit. Crystal's age-breakdown now matches the Summit. I suspect The Summit may boost prices to more match Stevens and Crystal. We'll see.

I will be watching closely (and I hope others will be too). I'm putting together a complaint to the Washington AGO for "actions in restraint of fair trade" See RCW 19.86.030 2 major ski resorts in Western Washington colluding when they should be competing is a major comsumer ripoff in the making. If people don't stand-up to them, CNL will benefit, and everyone else will lose.

Respond to this message   
EdS
(no login)

Re: Collusion

August 25 2007, 8:07 PM 

Wow, that is sleazy, lets see what they do on the pricing but if they match Crystal I will write the AGO and you can bet I wont buy a pass for the first time in 11 years.

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login hyak)
Forum Owner

August 26 2007, 8:17 AM 

I'm annoyed just because I like to get my season pass bought and out of the way during the summer. If the price gets too high, I just might be doing a lot of hiking.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Respond to this message   
EdS
(no login)

August 26 2007, 9:05 AM 

I agree Jack, it just cant be good news that they have waited this long to price it, like they are seeing what everyone else is charging before setting their price. The prices at Crystal are set like all the east coast areas, to high to make it worth it. I would hike before paying the price Crystal, or Stevens for that matter are charging.

Respond to this message   
snoqpass
(Login snoqpass)

August 28 2007, 9:19 AM 

After goggling CNL/ Booth Creek/Boyne it does raise some questions. I would be interested to know what roles/relationship Gillette and Kirchner have with CNL.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

CNL is a REIT

August 28 2007, 1:29 PM 

CNL is a "Family of Companies." The actual corporation that now owns "The Summit at Snoqualmie" is CNL Income Company LLC.

The description they have on their website is sort of off-putting in it's over the top corporate speak:

CNL Income Company, LLC advises CNLís lifestyle real estate investment trust (REIT) Ė
CNL Income Properties, Inc. This REIT invests in income-producing properties in primarily recreation and lifestyle industry segments, such as golf courses, attractions, ski & mountain lifestyle, destination retail, merchandise marts, marinas and powersports dealerships. CNL Income Company runs the REITís day-to-day operations and manages its acquisition, advisory and administrative services. As the REITs advisor, CNL Income Company has negotiated agreements between the REIT and such well-known companies as Intrawest Corporation, Heritage Golf Group and Boyne USA.

I guess that Hyak is now a "ski & mountain lifestyle investment."

Respond to this message   

(Login 75.165.46.222)

Investment?

August 28 2007, 4:33 PM 

What does that suppose to mean? Hyak is in for an upgrade or they are doing what they have done for years... nothing?

Respond to this message   
Johnnyboy
(no login)

Re: Investment?

August 28 2007, 4:52 PM 

It means they want to pull money OUT. No investment unless the bean-counters can justify it. It makes me both sad and mad.

Respond to this message   

(Login 75.165.46.222)

Sad

August 28 2007, 10:29 PM 

How can they take money OUT? They are running on bare minumum right now. I hope Hyak stays at least the same. It is a great place to go as all you know for the busy ski school weekends.

Respond to this message   
EdS
(no login)

Re: Sad

August 29 2007, 6:57 AM 

Knowing its this kind of company I would be suprised if they do anything to Hyak. As a matter of fact, I wouldnt be suprised if they shut Hyak down at some point as not enough people go to make it worth running. Who knows really, its not Like Hyak costs them much to run. They are running two lifts that employ about 4-5 people. The lodge has a couple, thats a low cost operation.

Respond to this message   
Snoqpass
(Login snoqpass)

Re: Sad

August 29 2007, 1:10 PM 

Since a number of employees a interns from South America it cost even less. Perhaps a gateway is needed at Hyak to announce your passage into the Magic Kingdom of the Cascades.Just tossing a few ideas out for the upgrades.

Respond to this message   
TeleMan
(no login)

Cash grab?

August 30 2007, 1:57 AM 

As one who once was "in the know" on the Hyak operation, the following observations are set out for your perusal. Feel free to discuss these amongst yourselves.

- Booth Creek executives sold the operation to CNL, and then are "leasing back the operations and are responsible for day-to-day management". This appears to me that Ryman et.al. have simply hit a big cash payday, and will still get to run the area.

- There has been some decent investment in the other three base areas, but virtually none at Hyak since the XC operation relocated there in 1999. All improvements done since then in the building, on the trails, signage, etc. have been done by volunteer labor, or by the Hyak manager doing it themselves. They did have some construction help for re-vamping the XC rental shop last summer. There has been no summer trail maintenance for alpine runs or XC trails over the last several years.

- The XC operation was the reason that the hill/lodge was re-opened in the first place, yet since the manager responsible for the move retired XC has dwindled to the point that it appears that management is actively trying to kill it.

- Customer service is so poor that i am ashamed to have once been a part of the company.

- The Master Development Plan calls for a new lift that extends all the way to the base area, as well as a new mid-mountain lift that angles down toward the powerlines to help with East-to-Central skier transfer. Now that the area is under new management, it will be interesting to see if the plan and draft EIS accepted by the company and the Forest Service will be followed through on in a timely fashion, pursued haphazardly, or junked in favor of starting over to try and get a better deal.

- The current Hyak supervisor (not even a manager) has no authority to staff the building as it should be - everything is run on skeleton staff with (in my opinion) insufficient training and no drive to provide quality service.

Respond to this message   
mw
(no login)

Re Sad

August 30 2007, 8:38 AM 

Since they don't own the base area, why should they spend money on it? It makes no financial sense to improve land your leasing. I just hope they keep it open in its present state as it keeps most of the crowds away. Hyak is almost like a private mountain for the people who use it on weekends.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - New changes for the summit
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index