<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

SilverFir Express broke down

February 9 2009 at 5:07 PM
Jack  (no login)
from IP address 65.161.188.11

I heard people were roped off of the new HSQ yesterday. When me and Ed were up at the summit of Hyak we were told it broke down and we could see 3 snowmobiles going up the ski run to the top of the lift. Anyone have the inside scoop on what happened?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
TomK
(no login)

First hand report.

February 9 2009, 8:08 PM 

We were on the lift, five chairs from the top when it stopped rolling. One of the chairs failed to transfer from the upper low speed cable to the high speed after the folks unloaded. The mechs tried to get it to transfer a few times and were able to scoot two chairs up close enough to the top station that patrol could get them down without ropes. One of the patrollers came down the line, letting us know that it was a mechanical trouble, and that the mechs were working on it. Each time it was started, the bad chair looked like it stayed in place (even after some hammering was heard the third time. happy.gif ) This all took about 45 minutes and then lots of patrollers showed up with evac kits. The two remaining occupied chairs in front of us got roped off, and the one behind got one person down when the mechs finally got the thing working well enough to roll and offload everyone, so we missed out on getting roped down for the second time in 30 some years of riding the lifts. Free hot cocoa and a daily lift ticket were handed out at the base for all the lift-riders. Per the rumor mill (ie chatting with lifties and a mech at the base afterwards), the offending chair is a repeat offender/problem child and Poma will be looking at it as well the Summit mechs.

Respond to this message   
Bubbasaurus
(no login)

It happened again in the afternoon

February 9 2009, 11:46 PM 

It also happened again at 2:30 pm, this time at the load terminal. There was a snowboarder who caused the lift-op to stop the lift as he wasn't able to load due to having both feet still in the board (not sure how he managed to get through the line.) After about 10-15 minutes of attempts, the chair finally re-connected to the bottom terminal and the lift was able to resume. I think we counted 6 snowmobiles arriving to watch the lift-op pressing buttons to get the lift going again.

Respond to this message   
TomK
(no login)

Re: It happened again in the afternoon

February 10 2009, 6:42 AM 

Was one chair still off-line during the afternoon stop?

Respond to this message   
mel
(no login)

Re: It happened again in the afternoon

February 10 2009, 8:27 AM 

SF stopped for a long time (5 minutes) on 1/31. I don't know why. But later that day I did see a lift mech above the lift watching the chairs transfer from the slow line to the high speed line.

Respond to this message   

(Login Bergschlawiner)

Checking

February 10 2009, 9:38 AM 

(not sure how he managed to get through the line.) What line? Whenever they are checking passes with bar code readers they check nothing else, or else stand around BS'n. Ever notice all the people who just jump thru the "ski patrol only" gates or even climb over the barriers to be with their friends and are never stopped by the staff?

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - SilverFir Express broke down
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index