White Pass says on their web site that they are closing a parking lot to stage lift construction soon. Crystal announced a new gondola. Season pass deals are available at area resorts now too. Hyak? New chair? When are we going to know? The longer we go with no new info the less chance a new lift will go in this summer it seems. I need to decide soon which pass to buy, if any. White? (2hour drive) Summit (1hr drive) No pass agin next year? Buy a pass and gamble on a new chair? I did email the Summit and got no response. What to do?
I suppose I could just forget the whole thing and go surfing and mountian biking.
This lack of news to verify work at Hyak, along with all the public news of a gondola at Crystal has me a bit worried that we will be left out. I will not buy any lift tickets, or season pass next year if there is no lift at Hyak.
Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997
I'm hoping Crystal work won't eliminate Hyak work... but I really don't know. They are 2 different pots of money, so I would think they will compliment each other. And Crystal is now offering a combined pass.
Hard to believe the Summit would not put details of the chair replacement in the News section of the Summit website. You would think its something they would want to get the word out on to promote it, but who knows if they are on the fence whether to do it or not, they may not want to talk about it. I looked on the POMA website and there is no news of any new installation like they had on there for Silver firs, but if they are truly going to re-use the old silver firs lift maybe they have someone else doing the install.
If they want to, they can do the build in-house. They have the horsepower, no problem. With all the work they did last year, it is hard to see why they would walk away now. I suspect it is a timing/stealing thunder issue. The gondola is a BIG deal, Hyak's lifts- much smaller. Perhaps they will announce once the project is DONE.
You would think that they would want to encourage sales for season passes. As we all know there are many folks that will wait for news of a Hyak lift. I've been spending much more time in Yakima on weekends so I might just get a White Pass season pass anyway, but still undecided.
I also find it interesting that they don't offer a discount for buying your pass in the spring. The prices available now are good through September 15. I know I'd be more likely to commit to buying a pass now if I know I was saving by buying earlier. As it is there is actually more incentive to wait until late summer to make the decision.