<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Eye on the East

January 1 2011 at 4:55 PM
Hyakian  (no login)
from IP address 67.160.91.162

New post

January 1, 2011 2:02 pm
Happy New Year everyone! 2011 is going to see the opening of the newly expanded Summit East! As you can see below weve been busy loading chairs onto the Hidden Valley lift and will do the same to East Peak shortly. Stay tuned for an opening synopsis.

Hopefully it will be this winter 2011 and not next winter 2011!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Cyclical01
(no login)

Closer to February . . .

January 1 2011, 10:35 PM 

They are just hanging chairs and still have load testing and electrical to do. We'll be lucky to see it open by the first weekend of Feb.

Respond to this message   
Potterymouth
(no login)

Maybe...?. Perhaps...?

January 2 2011, 10:02 AM 

Now that Crystal's gondola is open, we could see a renewed effort at finishing up and opening Hyak? I sure hope so as my family bought 5 passes based on the opening of Hyak this Winter

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login hyak)
Forum Owner

Re: Maybe...?. Perhaps...?

January 2 2011, 6:28 PM 

Yea, I bought 3 season passes based on Hyak being open. If it goes until feb to open I'll be very bummed.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Respond to this message   
noj
(no login)

eyes off east

January 2 2011, 7:31 PM 

PSE got power to the base of the triple the last week. Today 1/2 the chairs were on Hidden Valley with the balance to be finished Monday or Tuesday. Its running. The plan for the triple is to finish aligning the towers and add chairs end of this week. Load testing next. The triple was turning today on back up power and looks good. So stand bye Hyakers and will be open soon. I was there all day work was being done both front and back sides

Talley-Ho!

Noj

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login hyak)
Forum Owner

Re: eyes off east

January 2 2011, 8:00 PM 

The Summit posted a pic of the HV lift from below, taken Jan1.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
EdS
(no login)

encouraging

January 3 2011, 8:13 AM 

Its encouraging to see maybe it will open this month. I am suprised in that photo one of the old wood pole bases from that cover over the old Dino is still there sticking up several feet out of the snow to the right of the lift. I remember seeing that earlier and assuming they would cut that off at the base, looks like a hazard to me.

Respond to this message   
Bill
(Login jumbuk)

more info added

January 3 2011, 8:45 AM 

New to hyak.net but a long time fan of Hyak. Ive been following eyeontheeast and see this message was added to the new year posting. Apologies if someone already posted this:
Please note: We very much want to get Summit East opened for you as soon as we possibly can! Unfortunately, despite our seven day a week efforts, our final steps are taking a bit longer than we had expected or hoped for. So please hang in there with us as we know the end result will be worth the wait! Please stay tuned later this week for more specific information on our projected opening date.

Respond to this message   
Sk
(no login)

Straight from the source

January 3 2011, 1:23 PM 

What a cluster you know what up there. Talking straight from the lead supervisor at the hyak project, he said that it would take a miracle to get hyak open in 3 weeks from now and 6 weeks would be a better estimate. The area won't give him anyone else to help finish the project up. He has had average of 8 workers a day and needs at least 21 workers from here on out. Another reason they are so far behind is because they originally put the wrong gears in the chair and spent last week swapping the gears from one chair to the next. He wouldn't be shocked if hyak doesn't open at all this season and neither would I. I want the moeny back on the 8 seasons pass my family bought to ski at hyak this season.

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login hyak)
Forum Owner

Gears

January 3 2011, 1:37 PM 

I had heard they put the wrong gears in the HV chair and that it ran way too fast so they had to be swapped out. I'd think the only hold up to Hyak opening would be the triple chair since they could run the area w/o the HV lift, and it seems the triple is way behind. I'm thinking mid Feb would be a good guess and that it might only be open for a few weeks at the most. (my guess)

Respond to this message   
EdS
(no login)

not so encouraging

January 3 2011, 2:07 PM 

Wow, thats pretty bad news, I wish they had focused on getting the triple up and running and worry about HV later. Yes, it would have been great to have HV running also but not at the cost of a short if any season for Hyak. I guess we can hope its earlier, but these reports are pretty discouraging.

Respond to this message   
Wow
(no login)

So your the one writing in the snow!

January 3 2011, 8:00 PM 

Turn in your season passes soon! Less yellow snow for the rest of us to ski through. Your source?

Respond to this message   
ty
(no login)

Source

January 4 2011, 2:09 PM 

Dan Brewster and another that asked not to be named.

Respond to this message   
sk
(no login)

Boyne

January 3 2011, 2:11 PM 

If I was Boyne, heads would roll that Hyak is so far behind in getting open. The head people, office wise, should be losing their jobs over this honestly. I am not talking about the guys out there working in those cold temps, the few guys they have on the mountain are putting the effort in. Would any of us keep our jobs if we fubared a project this bad? I don't think so.

Respond to this message   
Cyclical01
(no login)

I was right!

February 6 2011, 11:32 PM 

Hyak opened the first weekend of February!!!! Now, for my next prognostication - the snow will start coming this week and by mid-march we will be up to our ears in beautiful powder that will last far longer than they will keep the area open!

Respond to this message   
MK
(no login)

Re: I was right!

February 7 2011, 8:02 AM 

I'm down with that, w00t!
Snowing now!

Respond to this message   

(no login)

7 feet in February

February 7 2011, 9:13 AM 

I have been predicting 7 feet of new this month. With more to come in March.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Eye on the East
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index