<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Patience

January 24 2011 at 10:50 AM
Waiting  (no login)
from IP address 70.90.181.29

should have a new eyeontheeast update soon?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mark
(no login)

Re: Patience

January 24 2011, 11:33 AM 

Currently, the Summit website shows no dates through Feb 6 when Summit East will be open. Let's hope an opening date is announced soon.

http://www.summitatsnoqualmie.com/Mountains/Hours

Respond to this message   

(Login StackAndMisha)

have you seen the hill?

January 24 2011, 6:22 PM 

Seems there are some bare spots opening up...we need the temps to drop a good 10 degrees!!!

Respond to this message   
hyakblake
(no login)

open for the holy oly

January 24 2011, 7:59 PM 

Who knows...maybe the open date for the new lifts will be the same as the Holy Oly. What a bash that will be. We just need some good snowfall in the next few weeks. Things were getting really tough at central this past weekend. The powder pigs were skiing on dirt on the little chair.

Respond to this message   
EdS
(no login)

truck in snow?

January 25 2011, 7:57 AM 

Looks like they will either clear the lower slope of snow making the 1/4 pipe or will have to truck in snow for it, theres not much there to work with now we have had all this rain, I would be suprised if there is even a 24" base now in my yard in lower Hyak

Respond to this message   
kh
(no login)

holy oly

January 25 2011, 5:51 PM 

Ouch, hope they don't scrape all the snow off the hill, so some park kids have one day of big air. I have to say the Holy Oly is almost the exact opposite of the normal Hyak granola vibe. Sorry, not a big fan of scraping the snow off the hill for some loud kids to party on, for one weekend. Usually to the detriment of the regular users. Really seems like a waste of diesel, watching the snowcats push snow for several days. While I am ranting. What's up with the superpipe at Central that is never open. How about getting rid of the super, and making it a usable pipe for mere mortals.

Respond to this message   
Snoqualmie guy
(no login)

Re: Holy Oly

January 26 2011, 1:28 PM 

The Holy Oly has been my favorite event of the year for many years. I past years Hyak is basically a ghost town until the weekend of the event. It brings people up so I doubt it's a waste of fuel. And if you don't like the loudness, just take the week off.

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login hyak)
Forum Owner

Ghost town?

January 26 2011, 3:39 PM 

I wouldn't say Hyak has been a ghost town w/o the oly. The problem I see is that when Booth Creek purchased the Summit they removed all events and ski schools as well as lights. The area would barely mention Hyak as a part of their ski area.

There have been so many people I have met that have been going to Snoqualmie for many years but have never been to Hyak and I would put that smack dab at the fault of The Summit marketing (Booth Creek). Of course with only one double chair in the past to haul up skiers there were capacity issues. The chair was always full on weekends but you couldn't fill up the mtn because all you had was one slow double chair. Now with one slow triple chair lets see what difference it will make, but still I doubt the mtn will ever seem crowded.

Consider the Silver Fir chair served a much smaller area and it never seemed to be too crowded so it will now service Hyak which is what, 50% larger or more on just the front side? The double chair will be fine for the HV side so all in all those who ride might have to stand in lines, but the trails on the mtn will never seem crowded because lift capacity will never allow it.

Hyak does not have the lift capacity to support lots of folks so it might always seem like a ghost town, but when the lift chairs are all full, and they always were in the past on normal and good snow days then isn't that pretty much what your looking for? Now if the chairs were running empty then that's a different story but that usually only happened on days where the conditions were cr@p or in the late afternoon in March.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Respond to this message   
MK
(no login)

Re: Ghost town?

January 26 2011, 4:45 PM 

Sort of like Hyak being a bit of a ghost town...
It has a local/community feel to it.
I know that I'll see neighbors with their families, and I like that for our little area.
I hope that maybe we can do "ski down" in the Spring again some day.

Respond to this message   
snowky
(no login)

Why would they open this late now?

January 26 2011, 5:34 PM 

Whats the point of them hurrying to get Hyak open now, the snow pack is disappearing as each day goes by, the other areas are struggling to keep the attendance up,they are already letting employees go for the season because of the bad conditions and down revenue. But to me it makes more sense to have Hyak open because the runs aren't worn down to the rocks like central and west are, but financially it makes no sense for the area to open this late in the season now. They already have gotten our money in season passes, and Hyak has never had a huge daily ticket profit because we all have season passes. I have no patience left for all these delays. This is the last weekend of January people, lets get real and face what most likely is going to happen, Hyak not opening this season. Yes we could go to the other areas, but they are just a bore to ski, besides Alpental and like a lot of you we bought season passes that excluded skiing Alpental on the weekends because we never dreamed it would take 5 plus months to get a triple chair installed on the front side. I pray to the snow gods every night that the winter turns around and that Hyak will open. There is nothing like your home mountain and don't anyone else try to tell me different. Just venting my frustrations.

Respond to this message   
Snoqualmie guy
(no login)

End is Near?

January 26 2011, 7:08 PM 

I find it hard to believe that the areas are finding it hard to keep attendence up seeing that last weekend Summit West's slc broke an all time record of 100 hours of private lessons in one day. Also there are still jobs up for grabs on the summits website.

Respond to this message   
Jack
(no login)

Re: End is Near?

January 26 2011, 7:48 PM 

I just got back from riding at West and Central and there were a lot of cars at Central as well as 5 or 6 buses. Sure there are some holes where the creeks run, but it was fun riding and the groomers were good.

Respond to this message   
beentheredonethatknowswhatswhat
(no login)

Need some cheese and crackers with that?

January 27 2011, 4:12 PM 

Wow - another whinner who doesn't know what they're talking about. The area is not letting people go. Some hours are cut back during the week. The snowpack is a little weak, but we've rode on less. Get over it - it's not that late in the season. Have a little faith. Once the snows come back it will probably dump and then you'll be whinning about too much snow.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Patience
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index