<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

when did dino stop?

February 21 2017 at 11:50 AM
skyerkayjay  (Login skyerkayjay)
from IP address 216.186.97.2

I know I rode that lift in the early 80's - it went up and over to hidden valley. I took lessons from Husky (UW) sports and remember using it. Cannot find a date when it actually stopped. Wikipedia says 1971 which I know is wrong since I didn't start skiing till 1974. I remember how the funky unload at the top serving both hidden valley and Milwaukee road was a cluster.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jack
(Premier Login hyak)
Owner

Re: when did dino stop?

February 21 2017, 3:46 PM 

The last it was running I believe was the 87/88 season. After that PacWest went into bankruptcy and the area ran for 4 years under the ownership of the bank. The courts awarded the purchase to go to Ski Lifts Inc. in 1992.

I heard the reason for its stoppage was the tower footings were coming loose. It was a poor design and put a lot of stress on the towers. Also it was very expensive to fix because all parts had to be specially manufactured because Murray Latta who built the thing was not really into the lift building business so there were no spare parts.

Hope this helps.
Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

This message has been edited by hyak from IP address 66.243.234.129 on Feb 21, 2017 3:49 PM

Respond to this message   
Brandon
(no login)

Dino story

February 28 2017, 8:13 PM 

Pretty fascinating. I thought the part about the brake system failing was fact? Anyone know more?

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index