<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Some Dingo Information

November 14 2014 at 11:37 PM
Mike  (no login)
from IP address 73.10.8.8

Tamiya 1/48 British Armoured Scout Car Dingo MK II 32581

Information

Variants:
Mk I: Original model with four-wheel steering and sliding roof.
Mk IA: Same as the MK I but with a folding roof.
Mk IB: reversed engine cooling air flow and revised the armour grilles for the radiator,
Mk II: Same as the MK IB but with front wheel steering only and revision of the lighting equipment

Maybe one of the AM guys will produce a stowage and radio set for the Dingo.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Restored Dingo Interior:

[linked image]

MK I

IWM Photos:

MH 3732:     Link:  http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205206701

MH 3733:     Link:  http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205206699

MH 3734:     Link:  http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205206700

MK I with Bren MG and a lakeman mounting:

[linked image]

[linked image]

Bren gun sources:
Tamiya 32516 British universal Carrier MK II (*and radio)
Tamiya 32526 British Infantry Set (*and helmets)

Only ONE Marking Option

F48038     2nd Irish Guards, Guards Armoured Divison

These markings are found on this restored Dingo privately owned in the USA.

[linked image]

Another Decal source:

Peddinghaus EP1449 Englsiche Panzer und Fahrzeugmarkierungen 1940 / English tanks & vehicle markings 1940a

4th RNF Dingoes

In France 1940, the 4th Battalion Royal Northumberland Fusiliers (RNF) was the recce battalion of the 50th (Northumbrian) Division.
This battalion was equiped with Norton motorcycle combinations but each company (HQ, X, Y & Z) had a platoon of 10-11 Dingo scout cars.
The scout car platoons were suppose to provide AA support for each company in the battalion.

This is a line of 4th RNF Dingoes and the last one is named "FireFly".
I am not able to make out the name of the 4th car from the end which has 5 letters.
My guess the WD number of the last Dingo is F9489. The location and date are unknown.

[linked image]

Some possible Dingo WD Numbers:

F9377, F9496, F9546, F9584, F9639, F9773, F9952, F9982

The battalion left Southampton UK on 21 January 1940 and reached Cherbourg port in France the next day.
Then it moved by rail to a billeting area between Le Mans and Alencon.
On 26 February, the battalion commenced a road march which terminated on the 29th at Fontaine-Bonneleau, south of Beauvais.
Here are 4th RNF Dingoes just north of Fontaine-Bonneleau (on D106).

On the closest Dingo, the driver's side view port is open and the sunlight is reflecting off the cover.
On the hull side, there is a white and red pennion which could be a unit insignia or command marking.
Also note that it has a Bren gun mounted.

[linked image]

A 4th RNF Dingo named "Fury" near Fontaine-Bonneleau France on 20 March 1940.

This is my close up of IWM photo F 3220:     Link:  http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205204890

The white disc on the rear is said to be a gas detection disc.
This Dingo appears to be moving away from the photographer. Note the tires are rotating.

[linked image]

The 4th RNF remained near Fontaine-Bonneleau until the 29th March, when they moved to La Bassee.
At the end of April a further move forward was made to Lannoy, south east of Roubaix on the Belgian frontier.
On 10 May 1940. the battalion crossed the border into Belgium at Lannoy with the 4th RNF leading the advance.

This is a 4th RNF Dingo seen in Herseaux Belgium on May 10.

[linked image]

IWM photo F 4344 is one of the battalions Norton motorcycle combinations.:     Link:  http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205204932

This is my close up. Note the BEF white square on the front storage bin.
The number 18 (RNF) appears to be painted on a plate and attached to the front bin.

[linked image]

This is a 4th RNF Dingo named "Furious" near Duisans (just west of Arras) on 22 May 1940.
That is the day after the BEF 2 prong counterattack against Rommel's 7th Panzer division's right flank around Arras.
The No. 12 scout car platoon of the 4th RNF Coy Z with the 7th RTR supported the 8th Durham Light Infantry (DLI).
This platoon lost 6 out of its 11 cars during the attack.

[linked image]

This is a close up of "Furious". Barely visible is the white/red pennion and WD number on the side.
Note the number 18 on the rear fender and the tire treads.

[linked image]

Here is a knocked out Dingo near Achicourt (just south of Arras)
The No. 11 scout car platoon of the 4th RNF Coy Y with the 4th RTR supported the 6th DLI.
The 6th DLI retreated back to Achicourt and the 4th RNF attempted to provide a protective screen taking heavy losses.
The scout car platoon lost all its cars during the attack.

[linked image]

Other Dingoes

This Dingo belonged to the HQ squadron of the 3rd Armoured Brigade and 5th RTR. This is my close up of IWM photo 4600F.
The caption states it is moving through Luisnoy prior to going into action on 30 May 1940.
I believe that is incorrect since the DunKirk evacuation had begun on May 27th so it is more likely withdrawing towards the coast.
That officer is standing on the sidewalk with this Dingo passing by him.
Note the WD Number F9420 on the rear and the tire tread.

[linked image]

This is a close up of a captured 1st Armoured Division Dingo named "HOOD".
The name beginning with "H" indicates it probably belonged to a HQ squadron.
Dangling off the front is the lid of the front stowage bin. Note the steering rod of the rear wheel.

[linked image]

Another abandoned Dingo at Calais:

[linked image]

Here is my close up. Note the front stowage bin lid is left open.

[linked image]

Desert Dingoes

This is my close up of IWM photo E 11092:     Link:  http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205203769

A Dingo of the 5th RTR, 4th Armoured Brigade, 28 April 1942
Note that the frame of the open gunners port is not painted with the camo color.

[linked image]

Royal Engineers in a Dingo on their way to blow up an abandoned enemy tank, 14 March 1943.
Tamiya should have included markings for this option. Note the Marston plate attached to the front.

[linked image]

IWM photo NA 1120:     Link:   http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205204155

[linked image]

Marston plate source: Aber 48A24 PSP (Pierced steel planks) set

Another desert photo:

IWM photo E 13262:     Link:  Http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205203825

Dingo in Korea

This Dingo named "HAMLET" of the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars is waiting for orders during the retreat from Seoul, December 1950.
The Cromwell in the background is from the reconnaissance troop of the 8th KRIH.
Note the color dividing line on the side of the Dingo.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dave Clark
(Login Bravo21)
Registered Users

Re: Some Dingo Information

November 14 2014, 11:55 PM 

Fantastic! Love those 4th RNF machines. Thanks for posting these helpful photos.

Dave

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement