<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

AK real Briish colors

November 21 2017 at 3:17 PM
wayne  (Login wombull)
from IP address 125.238.167.143

From this post over on FB by Lu it appears the british colors are pretty close to Mike's chips so it is starting to look a bit more promising for their range
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1656320294390355&set=pcb.1656320507723667&type=3&theater&ifg=1
Oh and other little thing i found out while playing with their new colors is you can mix them with their other arcylic paint in the dopper bottles .
Hope this is use full
Have fun

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
Registered Users

Yes, these colors are pretty close, certainly close enough.....

November 21 2017, 6:26 PM 

considering all the weathering most modelers do these days. These are an excellent starting point.

Respond to this message   
Mike Starmer
(Login remrats)

AK paints

December 22 2017, 5:19 AM 

I found the British section in the AK book a great disappointment for a number of reasons. They halved my text and screwed up most of the art illustrations, two of which are complete fiction. Up to point they re-wrote history. I tested 7 Middle East colours. Only the Light Mud was anywhere close, the rest being off a match to my swatches, Silver Grey wasn't even in the same hue range. This makes be very dubious about what they may have done with the others.

Respond to this message   

George Bradford
(Login George_Bradford)
Registered Users

Give 'em Hell, Mike ...

December 22 2017, 10:39 AM 

n/t

Respond to this message   
Wayne
(Login wombull)

Hmmm

December 23 2017, 4:14 AM 

I still have not got any yet but have the light mud and blue /black on the way so i'll see how they look when they get here.
Mike have you raised your concerns with AK ? and have they responded to you ?? after all its your good name that is being used to market some of this range and i certainly look to your knowledge of this subject over others as this is your specialty area .
As i have said before the only paint i have are the german DAK colors and i am pretty happy with them as far as i can tell they are a very good start point and are light years better than the first totally fictisous DAK set they put out. And not knowing much about britsh colors i dont feel i know enough to comment ,but to my monitor they look close.

I hope yet again we the modeling public are not getting the wool pulled over our eyes again, only time will tell

Have fun
Wayne

Respond to this message   
Wayne Bull
(Login wombull)

Some thoughts on the matter

December 25 2017, 2:55 PM 

It makes me wonder this book just like Mig's Panzer DNA is a tool to get more paints sales. The thing that gets me is they have sample cards for the paint so they have the correct info yet in the case of the British stuff according to Mike in the above link only one out of seven is close. So how do they manage to get it not right?? . And as for using these knowable people to give their invaluable knowledge and then to just cherry pick bits of it and give us the impression that this is the best info going is some what misleading or a cynical but very deliberate strategy to keeps us holding out for the next installment that will answer the missing sections . There may be publishing reasons/ cost considerations for each section to be taken into account but again i'm sure we would all be happier to pay a bit more for the whole story. Again thought it comes back to the whole thing of doing it right first time. How many paint sets are there out there that have claims to well researched and yet the end product is no where near the real thing, AK's original DAK set is a classic example that set is miles away from even being in the ball park. And then there seems to be a trend towards artistic impression of the color rather than accurate interpretation. What we really need and these guy's tried to do but came up short IMHO is a book done like the old monogram Luftwaffe painting guide that was a better way of doing it.

Again i want to thank Mike for bring this to our attention and helping keep well informed ,TOP JOB !

Have fun
Wayne

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement