<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Cooks Index  

Franken Car 55

August 13 2011 at 7:00 PM

(Login koolminx)

Well guy's, I didn't do any of the stitching, looks like Something Marty Feldman and Gene Wilder would have cobbled together with an arc welder and parts off a Yugo... (Abbey-Normal anyone) happy.gif

Here is Frankencar coming out of her lair.

[linked image]

Here's Pop's holding up the building while I do all the work happy.gif He's been doing this since 1960...

[linked image]

Here is where the good Dr. and Igor got busy with their Heimler Nuclear Arc Reactor...

[linked image]

UGH....

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Now that all the hard parts have been done, I simply gotta blast the crap out of it, grind for weeks, then make everything pretty... Simple! I can't wait to get started!

Going Black and White inside and out.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

dougc
(Login fxcomet)

Re: Franken Car 55

August 13 2011, 7:05 PM 

Looked at a black and white one locally yesterday. They're really nice cars when done correctly. If they're cobbled, they end up looking cheap, imho.

Good luck on the build. Looks like you're gonna need it.happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Chuck
(Login 65460)

August 13 2011, 7:21 PM 

You know what you need buddy? A magic trailer happy.gif
Should be a neat car when completed

Respond to this message   
Greg
(Login BattlestarOne)
Garage-Owner

August 13 2011, 9:47 PM 

Hopefully they didn't warp it too much with all that welding...

[QUOTE]

"Here's Pop's holding up the building while I do all the work. He's been doing this since 1960..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So your dad has been holding up buildings while you do all the work since 1960???

Damn! Maybe he should have tried holding up banks!

And just how old were you in 1960 that you could do all the work while he held up the building???

Respond to this message   

(Login koolminx)

August 13 2011, 10:10 PM 

You smarmy old cockroach!~ LOL u know what I meant.

Respond to this message   

(Login koolminx)

August 22 2011, 11:46 PM 

Well I just go the word from Bev the owners wife that she needs me to have is completed in about 2 months...

After much quarter panel weld grinding I found that BOTH Quarters over the wheel wells are sticking out about 1.25" farther than the gaddamm quarters are where the door jamb is! It's effing HORRIBLE! This guy lap welded another Vick Rear half over his cutting torch hack job... I am likely going to heat and stretch and shrink this damn car for a month just so I don't have to use 2 gallons of bondo on each friggin quarter to get the damnable things flat... And do it all as good as possible for as cheap as possible as fast as possible.... :roll eyes:

I think I'm going to have to fake this one to some extent or other, and pray it don't come back and nip me in the bud after the gentleman passes... They want the body to stay on the frame, yet take every precaution to make it look good while doing it faster than the Mighty Magic Trailer can push them out...

EEEEEK!

happy.gif I LOVE a Challenge! happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Greg
(Login BattlestarOne)
Garage-Owner

August 23 2011, 3:15 AM 

[QUOTE]

Gary
(Login koolminx) Re: Franken Car 55 August 22 2011, 11:46 PM

"Well I just got the word from Bev the owners wife that she needs me to have it completed in about 2 months..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you haven't already it looks like you're about to lose control of the project. As I understand it someone brings you cobbled up POS and you're supposed to do the miracle and fix it. Okay, so far so good. But then they say they HAVE to have it in two months? That may be enough time for you to get it done but it is your place to say when it MIGHT be done. "Target Date" but nothing firm.

What happens if it's NOT done in two months?

I sure hope you didn't even quote a "ball park" figure on this one.

Respond to this message   

(Login koolminx)

August 23 2011, 11:16 AM 

Yes Greg, I remembered to tell her that it's purely a MIGHT situation, and this morning I am taking the tailer back out to her place to pick up a 55 Customline to thieve parts off of. Mostly just front brake items, and misc engine compartment stuff they lost over the last 10 years, as I found last night that the front drums are completely empty, and I have no boxes of spare parts for the car...

I also told her that this car is strictly a hourly job until finished, nothing less, hourly plus materials. I empathize with her need for the shortest timeline possible, and told her I would do my best but wouldn't do a Maco or Earl Scheibe job on it.

Respond to this message   

Phatfalcon
(Login phatfalcon)

August 23 2011, 11:51 AM 

This sounds........NOT GOOD! As I understand it you are working to beat the old man's impending death, right? The car is challenge enough, but Old Man Time ain't on your side.

Respond to this message   

dougc
(Login fxcomet)

August 23 2011, 4:05 PM 

Gary, do a Granada conversion on the brakes. Parts will run about $350-400. The owners will thank you first time they drive it..er..stop it.

Respond to this message   

(Login koolminx)

August 23 2011, 5:47 PM 

The front end is brand new but the guts of the drums are missing. But wait! There's good news!

It's not Cancer, it's a Palsy like Lou Gehrig like degenerative disease that causes massive loss without warning of different muscle groups sometimes one and sometime more than one at a time. The Heart is one of those, and the poor fellow nearly choked to death 2 day's ago when simply sitting there watching TV. Not eating. So Bev and I decided to put the Frame off on hold until next week after their next appointment with the men in white coats and simply keep at correcting what's there for now.

On the lighter side if life we have the Left rear quarter panel only 1/4" shorter than the right rear. Yaaay!

Lastly, how damn hard can it be to remove a single nut compression style steering wheel? I mean the nut is off, I've heated the shaft and wheel center until the rubber started melting on the outside edges WITH my wheel puller on and torqued down fairly tight with my butterfly air wrench along with hitting the damn thing with a BFH on the tool to no damn avail but nearly mushrooming the end of the shaft.

I've never come across a more stubborn steering wheel. I even left my remover tool on tight as hell all night with liquid wrench drenching the entire thing...

I think it's 1/2" impact time! After all I DO have this nice 55 Custimline for parts if I farkle it up I reckon.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login tim1859)

August 23 2011, 6:35 PM 

I've been reading along on this this - it makes a good story. BUT, I just keep thinking how this situation screams for your customer to buy a clean driver and get maximum enjoyment out of it while he can. People do what they feel, not what makes sense. I don't begrudge you a living though, Gary. Maybe you should buy a running, driving car, mark it up 20% and tell her it hers that you restored.

Best of everything to you and to them.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login fxcomet)

August 23 2011, 8:48 PM 

Well this one's pretty easy. Tim's on the right track. Just follow the simple steps below:

1. Push the pos onto a rack

2. Raise the lift.

3. Drive a restored (preferable) or a restorable car underneath.

4. Use the car on the lift for any parts that may be needed.

Yer diggin' yerself a hole that you'll never get out of and nobody'll be happy with in that car. Those hole's are ordinarily called "graves".

Lotsaluck.

Respond to this message   

(Login koolminx)

August 23 2011, 11:19 PM 

Oh I understand guy's. If there were a Vicky Glass Top within 1,000 miles in Black an White and Complete for under $10K I'd get it for them!

They're trying to sell their 1930 Model A touring car for $13K, but it's been on the market a long time and nobody is biting. It's in decent condition and is a driver.

This Vic will be a driver also if I can ever find all the parts and compress a years work into about 45 day's....

The Auto shift rod is supposed to be two parts I believe, but this one is welded... So the Searching begins at the column and the clock is ticking. (too bad the one in the dash don't tick...) happy.gifhappy.gif

Respond to this message   
Travis
(Login greengalaxie)

August 24 2011, 4:35 AM 

I think they got it backwards, you sure you were not to fix the customline and use the other for the parts car? Do yourself a favor and don't compromise your work quality...........later down the road like it or not someone is going to associate your name with the project and probably not in a good way. Does not matter if they did all the hacking and wacking you will get blamed for it not being perfect in the end. Just my 2 cents.

Respond to this message   
Greg
(Login BattlestarOne)
Garage-Owner

August 24 2011, 7:49 AM 

I do believe you are delusional. Let's do some simple math. You say 45 days (NO WAY IN HELL THAT'S GONNA HAPPEN, BUT JUST FOR ARGUMENT'S SAKE WE'LL CONTINUE. Okay, 45 days times 8 hours per day is 360 hours (again NO way!) Let's use a low labor rate of 50 per hour. That's $18,000.00. And you haven't bought the first part or any materials. Yeah, I know, you can get a screamin' deal on all the chrome, upholstery, glass, mechanicals, etc.........or just put on used junk.

Just go buy a decent 55/56 Victoria for $18,000.00 or less, cut the top off this Crown Vic Glasstop and install to on a good driver car. You can do it in a week and be WAY ahead. Simple job with good results. If you're careful you won't even have to paint it.

I'm tellin' you right now for everybody's sake PULL THE PLUG!

This is no bull shit, I mean it! NOBODY (can I make these letters bigger?) will be happy with this one. NOBODY!

I'm assuming you have a good glass insert for the roof?

Respond to this message   

Phatfalcon
(Login phatfalcon)

August 24 2011, 11:45 AM 

I was going to suggest hooking a chain to the drivers side rear quarter and to your truck and taking off at 35mph, but Greg's got a point, Gary. It's obvious you have no fear and the skills to pull it off. I've seen way more radical stuff done on this forum (although over a much longer timeframe). You should be able to find a real nice driver for $18k and pull it off.

Respond to this message   

(Login tim1859)

August 24 2011, 11:58 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login koolminx)

August 24 2011, 2:06 PM 

I meant 60 day's, but still... I know it's near impossible to do within that time frame and I've tried telling them that.

I have my pop's willing to help so that's another 5 hours per day I can give it.

But I think I might have to tell them that this job is pretty much an impossible one for a restoration.

I can fix it up with excellent paint, inside and out, but the cobbled together mess of floors is going to take me a week to make look nice inside and another week on the underside alone, provided I can make a rotisserie strong enough to hold this car....

I think I simply must tell the lady to hope for the best, because in the beginning (I had no customers when this started and have damn few now) I told her that I would do it for X amount of dollars per week (not to exceed 35 hours per week in actual labor to keep the cap in place) To keep it within her budget, and she agreed. It was an amount that would keep me afloat. I was thinking I could do this car in 4 to 6 months and make it ZINGGG with niceness. Now after getting inside and under and on top of, and taking measurements I'm going to tell the lady that she's getting 35 hours per week as agreed for the amount per hour agreed upon, until the job is finished, or until the good Lord pulls the plug and she reclaims the car.

Like Travis said, I do NOT want this job biting me in the ass because I left his cobbled up crap visible to the world to save time....

Thanks for all your thoughts guys!

Respond to this message   
Bill
(Login willyk)

August 24 2011, 6:52 PM 

I hope you pointed out all that crap work to her that's going to take a ton of time to fix right before you left!

(

Respond to this message   
Greg
(Login BattlestarOne)
Garage-Owner

August 25 2011, 7:54 AM 

Okay, at this point I don't think you're in that deep so you can always walk.

I would immediately have a serious conference and explain that it's "blank check" time and that if she doesn't have the stomach for it to also walk away. Situations like this can turn real ugly real fast. I can't tell you exactly what to say but you HAVE to make it known VERY CLEARLY that the only way to do this thing is with LOTS and LOTS of money that will certainly exceed the value of the car.

I recently talked myself out of a 100K job to do a 56 Continental Mark II that wasn't "quite" as bad but along those lines. I told the guy to take his licks and dump the crapper he had. Sell it for whatever he could get even if it meant a big loss and go buy a real nice driver and enjoy it NOW for less money than he would spend doing the rough one.

It's your deal but you need to be real careful on this one. I'm done now.

Respond to this message   

(Login koolminx)

August 25 2011, 4:03 PM 

I have a meeting with them Both on Monday. The thing is, I can do it and make it look fantastic at my price per week's work in about 35 weeks... + or - 3 weeks.

Or I can hire on help and get 3 weeks of work done in a week and cut the dime needed down semi drastically. But that exponentially increases the $ output. We agreed that she could afford it in the beginning from start to finish at her weekly $ cap.

But as of Monday that's all out the door. If I didn't need the cash flow, I'd allow a partial trade for her all steel one time restored 1930 Model A. happy.gif

But that's out of the Q. The speed required to get this done in a manner that only another restoration professional could tell it was previously 7 other cars, would make her have to double her mortgage and empty her 401K.

If I simply toss some jute and a carpet in it then bondo the hell out of it, she'd still be out $500 bucks a week in bondo alone LOL.

I got 35 hours into it as of now and not going another second until after discussion time.

Respond to this message   

jon
(Login loverboy4604)

August 25 2011, 11:38 PM 

call Chip, let them do it in 7 days ... maybe they, or another one-off show will do it for the family conditions as they seem to be... save you from it?

Respond to this message   

(Login koolminx)

August 25 2011, 11:46 PM 

Damn Jon! You're BRILLIANT! I hate that Foose motard, but I'll sacrifice some work just to NOT have it come back and have my name attached to it later!

Respond to this message   

(Login fxcomet)

August 26 2011, 1:49 PM 

Why all the hate for Foose? He's one of the few genuinely nice guys in the hobby...

Respond to this message   

(Login koolminx)

August 26 2011, 11:13 PM 

Not hate... Just I don't think that what he does is hobby related. I've never seen one of his cars he's done up close, but I'm fairly sure that if I did my opinion would not change.

Respond to this message   

dougc
(Login fxcomet)

August 27 2011, 7:32 AM 

Um...ok

[linked image]

[linked image]

And for the grand finale, I direct you to this article from USA today a few years back.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-02-foose-ford-cover_x.htm

Respond to this message   

(Login mike_burch)

August 27 2011, 8:50 AM 

Gary calling Foose a Motard... Okay.

Foose seems to be a genuinely nice guy. He seems humble enough. He seems to be good with people. He can draw up some mega-awesome drawings in order to help plan a build. He's built a SERIOUS number of cars with awesome execution... and I've never seen one of his cars that I just truly couldn't stand.

Yea, real Motard.

------------------------
Mike Burch
66 mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas 306, 10.157@133.68
http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?220

Respond to this message   
Greg
(Login BattlestarOne)
Garage-Owner

August 27 2011, 9:21 AM 

I really don't like most of the TV Heroes, but Foose seems to be okay.

Respond to this message   

(Login loverboy4604)

August 27 2011, 8:00 PM 

OK.. so ... I have great faith in the abilities of all you guys here, far more than my skills, but after looking this thread over a time or 12 I just thought if somebody like Chip or WCC or something got involved the months of labor for one guy or a couple guys, they can throw at a project like this inna day.. And if things on the owners health side are iffy, then thats a good reason to put a bit more haste in it.. I mean Gary, you seem very happy to put your best effort into this.. as would anyone here.. but sometimes it becomes a project too big.. we all have/or have had them.. and I would hate for you to feel like your best wasnt worthy of your name.. even if a customer just wanted Earl from yea.. Hell I'd take most everyone heres best Earl over mine anyday.. lol.

Respond to this message   

(Login koolminx)

August 27 2011, 11:41 PM 

OK maybe I got the wrong guy here. I don't "Know" this Foose fella like most of you seem to, and those two cars you showed me look fantastic of course.

So maybe it's some other moron I'm thinking of and using Chip as my go to name. Sort of like that bald dude on Pinks. HE annoys the schitt out of me, and I dont' even watch TV except when I'm at the bar having a cool one, they always have this guy on there and HE annoys me much like I get under Just Jim's and N20Mike's skin...

Anyway there is out there some moron that puts out cars in a miracle period of 3 or 7 day's and calls it good. I thought it was Foose, I apologize for getting them mixed up.

Respond to this message   

(Login greengalaxie)

August 28 2011, 7:55 AM 

Gary how are you going to get the car done while you are typing here?? happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Greg
(Login BattlestarOne)
Garage-Owner

August 28 2011, 10:40 AM 

The TV show "7 day" cars are totally bogus. First of all there is no "live clock" to document the passage of time. Hell, that "week" could actually be a three month period! And then there's the BS of "Well, it's 2AM and we're gonna call it a day. Oh great, so everyone goes home and gets 4 hours sleep or do they just show up for work at Noon or whenever? And then there's the "behind the scenes" staff. Sure they show some guys working on this and that but considering that in a one hour show you actually see about 20 minutes "work" how much is done by the 100 people you don't actually see.

A good example is "Martha Stewart Cooking". Yeah, Martha is quite the wizard when everything shows up on the counter in 99% prep stage. It turns out that there are SEVENTY little helpers behind the scenes to make Martha look good when she dumps all the stuff in a bowl and throws it in the oven.

The first time I tried to "document" a restoration on video I just set the camcorder up on a tripod and let it run. At the end of the day I looked at it and realized it was the most damn boring thing I'd ever seen. I probably used 20 minutes out of 8 hours of tape. After that I still did some "hands on" footage but mostly at the end of the day I would do a "this is what we did today" report.

So whatever.......TV is Hollywood and we all know it. Scripted and staged.

Respond to this message   

Phatfalcon
(Login phatfalcon)

August 28 2011, 12:32 PM 

I admire Foose for his concept and rendering skills and the fact that he went to the desogn school in Cali I couldn't afford as a high school graduate. IMHO His big advantage was his dad, Sam, who had the fab skills Little Chip learned and applied.

My biggest beef with him is the God-awful spinner wheels of the '90's and early '00's that every pimp in the country had on their pimpmobiles. I couldn't believe the idea came from the same guy that did the cars Dougger posted. On the other hand, Chip was a businessman with a wheel company and he did sell a crap load of those horrid things.

Overhaulin was great during a time that there were no car rebuilding shows on the TV. The precept of pranks to fake out the owner was lame and they finally tossed it during the last season(s?). But to Greg's point, you need something else to fill the 20 minutes to avoid boredom.

Respond to this message   

(Login JeremyLawson)

August 28 2011, 2:00 PM 

I like Foose, he seems like a genuine person and not some asshole like some of the other big name car builders are. And I don't mind spinning rims or big rims in general. If I still had an old suicide door Lincoln to build it'd get the big wheel treatment.

On the subject of building a car in 7 days, there's got to be a LOT of help to get it done in that amount of time. I've seen cars built in a week, and they aren't that slicked out. My rat rod buddy turns out cars in a week to 10 days on occasion, and there are a lot of late nights, monster energy drinks, and cat naps in a chair in the middle of the shop involved. Occasionally he has help, but most of the time it's a one man show. He's one hell of a fabricator that could turn out Foose quality builds if he wanted to.

85 Ford F-250 - MIA/stolen
86 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z C/S
84 Dodge Rampage turbo
http://morbid-rodz.com
http://fortasse.com

Respond to this message   

Chuck
(Login 65460)

August 28 2011, 2:37 PM 

Wait a minute. Are you telling me that all that stuff I see on TV, building cars in a week, flying spaceships that get "Lost In Space" (poor Penny)with cool talking robots, Bruce Willis driving flying taxi cabs.....Its ALL FAKE!
Your kidding me, thatsucks.

Respond to this message   

(Login koolminx)

August 28 2011, 2:42 PM 

OK, who are the other folks that do the finish my ride in a week and restore this bag o crap in 7 day's people?
You guy's talk about Chip like he's your favorite high school Math Teacher, as he can't be this guy I saw a couple times and immediately disliked so fervently.... I trust your folk's judgment and Chip can't be the guy I didn't like if he's so much like you all describe him.

And about the 7 day wonder restoration cars, I KNOW they're not done like they say. happy.gif I may be a dick knuckle sometimes, but I'm not a moron...

Respond to this message   

dougc
(Login fxcomet)

August 28 2011, 3:06 PM 

...biting my tongue, er, keyboard.

I think you're talking about that guy on "wreck's to riches". He's the tool that built the knockout 64 Marauder Nascar clone and then couldn't find headers to put on the 460 they slapped in it. To add insult to injury, they put 18" wheels on it.

http://www.volocars.com/1964-mercury-marauder-parnelli-jones-c-669.htm

Respond to this message   

Jeremy
(Login JeremyLawson)

August 28 2011, 4:01 PM 

Like the car, like the wheels. Seen the show a couple times, didn't really care for it. The cost for the builds is way inflated IMO. And they must not have tried very hard to find headers, I can name several places right off the top of my head.

85 Ford F-250 - MIA/stolen
86 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z C/S
84 Dodge Rampage turbo
http://morbid-rodz.com
http://fortasse.com

Respond to this message   
Greg
(Login BattlestarOne)
Garage-Owner

August 28 2011, 4:34 PM 

I saw Wrecks to Riches once. I won't ever see it again. That guy is total dickwad. There's another show, I think Desert Valley Something....another group of dickwads.

The bald guy on Pinks (Richardson???) was a bit of a Legend In His Own Mind but overall i think he put on a pretty good show and was pretty real. Maybe a little annoying but not a bad guy.

Respond to this message   

(Login koolminx)

August 28 2011, 5:14 PM 

Yep that bald dude is a tool. BUt Wrecks to riches? That sounds EXACTLY like the idiot I can't stand. My apologies to Foose.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Franken Car 55
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Cooks Index  

Check
out our Frappr!