return to index  

Re: The Spring 2012 Season

March 19 2012 at 12:21 AM
  (Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Response to The Spring/Summer/Fall 2012 Season

Becky commented: "Nancy - Do you think the warmer weather is bringing some of the birds back a little earlier? I know the length of daylight is a main factor, but could the weather also bring some early birds to Louisiana?

Still seeing adult male RTH here. Saw two today! Still guarding their respective feeders. They always make me smile when I see them. happy.gif

Don't you just love those returnees! Sounds like you are off to a good start for Spring! I will be looking for your posts here on this thread. I always enjoy what you and Kevin post about your banding adventures! And I am really interested to hear about any and all returnees. I hope you see many returnees throughout this year!"

NLN: People are always trying to make correlations between weather events and weather trends and other natural phenomena, but I just don't see it a lot of the time. Trees may be leafing out early and there may be some unseasonal flowers because the lack of a hard freeze here in southern Louisiana, but a hard freeze can be a single day event whereas the overall warmer winter is a trend that might affect things on a local basis. I just don't see how birds that have been 500+ miles south of the northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico could possibly know what the weather conditions are.

We always hope for a good season. The start this year seems about average. Next week might be more telling. We don't expect a lot of returnees because we have not had high numbers of breeding season Ruby-throateds since Hurricane Katrina. Katrina probably didn't directly impact our breeding population because they had pretty much departed by the time the storm hit. However, the subdivision where our site is located was badly damaged. More than 200 homes were destroyed, mostly by falling trees. And in the clean-up process, many, many more trees were removed preemptively. Additionally, a new subdivision was developed next to the one in which we work, so a whole lot of habitat was destroyed. Lost habitat ain't coming back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
http://www.casacolibri.net/
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

Free Image Hosting is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005