Blogger Tricks
 return to index  

Progress into summer

June 16 2012 at 6:54 AM
  (Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

I'm curious how our gardens are growing.

Out back the Yvonne's Salvia has reached a bit under 2 feet and the first flower buds are coloring up. Lagging behind them is Salvia subrotunda which are growing their first flower buds on plants under two feet. A few voluteer Nicotiana mutabilis, or perhaps returning plants, have full sized roseates and it shouldn't be long before stalks form. Here and there are true seedlings, mostly among the subrotunda patch. I haven't the heart to pull them out. Salvia Dancing Dolls, Big Red and all their cohorts are still flowering well. After seeing the 2nd year Dancing Doll plants I have changed my mind about them. They are much bushier and have many more flowers than last year's cuttings. The first of the years volunteer Zinnias have opened up. As it often the case the best of them are in the wrong place, blocking the center path between the tomato rows, over-shadowing small plants like Penstemon pinafolias. At a certain point the gardener just goes with the flow - this is how it will be. How can one move a Salvia Indigo Spires that is already a giant with a dozen flower stalks just opening.

Over at the park it is high season for Lavender and Hyssop - various blues and clouds of Cabbage White Butterflies. After blooming its head off the row of Salvia greggii Wild Thing has slowed its pace and looks quite ratty, covered with brown seed pods. Most of the rest of the Salvia are still blooming quite well. Agastaches struggle when the weather turns dry in late spring. Tuttii Fruttii and the various Agastache cana have been blooming for weeks. More and more of the aurantica and its hybrids are opening their orange flowers and rupestris isn't far off. The Agastache surprise of the year is all the seedlings - 100s. A month ago a butterfly gardener friend came and planted a few hundred feet of Tropical Milkweeds seed and yesterday I weeded the area. And among the milkweed seedlings were Agastache seedlings. Such numbers have never occurred there before, usually they are counted in handfuls. Most of them were left to grow with the milkweed and what will be done with the survivors next year I don't know. Agastache is one of those plants it is painful to weed out for some reason. Like Salvia seedlings you wonder if this is the "one" is probably why.

The season tells me it is time to put behind the problems and failures of the propagation and planting seasons. The garden will have its way and all the gardener can do is go with the drift. Something tells me it will be alright.

Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Re: Progress into summer Jun 16, 2012, 7:19 AM
 Re: Progress into summer Jun 16, 2012, 12:00 PM
Browse for your picture, Select and Open, Upload picture, Copy the "Shareable" code, Paste it in your message.

You can upload unlimited image files up to 2MB each for FREE.

Upload Now is an independent image hosting service and is not associated with this forum.
Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005