return to index  

By the Way.....

July 2 2012 at 4:43 AM
  (Login CowboyinBRLA)
Hummingbirder 2008

I hesitated as to whether I should "spill the beans" on this or not, but Nancy specifically said I could post something once she'd left, and I've been excited for her about this for quite some time.

(Quick background for some of you new folk: Nancy Newfield, who is one of the forum's regular contributors, is the senior-most hummingbird bander in the United States, and a widely-known researcher on hummingbirds, particularly the phenomenon of western and southwestern hummingbirds wintering in the southeastern states. One of her five books, "Hummingbird Gardens", is an excellent resource for gardening for hummingbirds in various regions of the country and I, for one, strongly encourage people to hunt down a used copy whenever possible - it's unfortunately out of print.)

Anyway, many of you know that Nancy led birding tours to Costa Rica for years and she has also traveled to several other countries in Central and South America, always birding but with a special focus on hummingbirds. As I write this, she's in Peru for eleven days, this time on a tour led by someone else (so she can focus on the birds, and not having to run the show!). The trip includes a visit to the only valley where the Marvelous Spatuletail can be found.

Those of you who have seen the "Hummingbirds" episode of the PBS show Nature which included the segment on Nancy's work, will almost certainly remember this stunning bird. I hope she gets some fantastic looks at it.

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Re: By the Way..... Jul 2, 2012, 7:50 AM
 Re: By the Way..... Jul 2, 2012, 9:53 AM
 Re: By the Way..... Jul 2, 2012, 11:04 AM
 Re: By the Way.....Jacques TurgeonJul 2, 2012, 12:34 PM
 Re: By the Way..... Jul 2, 2012, 6:17 PM
 Re: By the Way..... Jul 2, 2012, 11:37 PM
 Re: By the Way.....JimJul 3, 2012, 1:16 AM
 Re: By the Way..... Jul 11, 2012, 5:44 AM
 Re: By the Way..... Jul 11, 2012, 6:37 AM
 Re: By the Way..... Jul 11, 2012, 6:49 AM
 Re: By the Way.....LinseyJul 11, 2012, 9:45 AM
 Re: By the Way..... Jul 11, 2012, 9:54 AM
 Re: By the Way.....CheriJul 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
 Re: By the Way..... Jul 11, 2012, 11:22 PM
 Re: By the Way..... Jul 11, 2012, 11:51 PM
 By the Way..... Jul 12, 2012, 6:57 AM
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005