return to index  

Rooting cuttings

July 10 2012 at 12:01 AM
  (Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

I stuck about 8 cuttings of Black and Blue Salvia in some potting soil. About half have rooted and are now producing leaves. [linked image]

I gave up on rooting roses in water. It didn't work. So I tried again using soil instead and about half the cuttings have formed roots. I am still waiting to see if Don Juan rooted. The other two climbing species of roses did root as well. I'm so excited!!!

I had also stuck some Pipevine cuttings in water and they root as well. I've potted them up.

And I've got some Brug cuttings rooting in water, too!

Spent the weekend cleaning out my small container ponds. Repotted the waterlilies and divided some of them. Found out I still have mosquito fish alive. I had lost most of them during the winter because the pond surface froze over one cold night. Seems a few did survive and produced lots of babies! LOL! Cleaning those ponds is a messy job! Thank goodness I only have to do it once a year.

So it seems that some plants root fine in water, but most seem to do better in potting mix.

What do you take cuttings of to root? And how do you root them in ... in water or soil?

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL
Click for weather forecast

Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Re: Rooting cuttings Jul 10, 2012, 12:26 AM
 Rooting cuttingsJimJul 10, 2012, 5:09 AM
 Re: Rooting cuttings Jul 10, 2012, 5:50 AM
 Re: Rooting cuttings Jul 10, 2012, 7:07 AM
 Re: Rooting cuttings Jul 10, 2012, 7:37 AM
 Re: Rooting cuttings Jul 10, 2012, 7:45 AM
 Re: Rooting cuttings Jul 10, 2012, 10:05 PM
 Re: Rooting cuttings Jul 13, 2012, 11:27 AM
 Re: Rooting cuttings Jul 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
 Re: Rooting cuttings Jul 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
Browse for your picture, Select and Open, Upload picture, Copy the "Shareable" code, Paste it in your message.
You can upload unlimited image files up to 2MB each for FREE.
Upload Now is an independent image hosting service and is not associated with this forum.
Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005