Respond to this message
Original Message
  • Free Popcorn Cassia Seeds
    • Rhonda (Login rvird01)
      Hummingbird Lover 2014
      Posted Apr 29, 2017 11:17 PM

Hey all,

I have several popcorn cassia (Cassia didymobotrya) seed pods that I'd happily share if you email me your address (you should be able to click on my login ID at the top right of this post to see my email address). I'll send 4-5 seed pods to each requester til I run out.

I know it's not a hummer plant, but as many of us plant butterfly/hummingbird plants in the same garden, I thought some may be interested. Cassias are host plants for sulphur butterflies. The leaves, when rubbed between your fingers, smell just like buttered popcorn!

It is hardy in zones 9-11, absent a hard freeze. Mine grew to about 5 feet in a season in 9a after being killed back. In my zone 10a, it should grow into a small tree. It can be grown as an annual in cooler climates.

Here's a pic of a male monarch on a popcorn cassia flower......

[linked image]

and on a seedpod.......

[linked image]

The pics were taken with the white siding in the background, hence the almost cut and past look happy.gif

and the entire flower....

[linked image]

Rhonda
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

TinyPic image hosting site
    TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
    Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
    Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
    Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
    web analytics