<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Passion Flower for Stan

July 15 2007 at 8:12 PM

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

I posted this on "plant deals thread", but things are moving so fast aroung here and wanted you to see this!

When visiting North Carolina I fell in love with Passion Flower. The gardner said while beautiful, it is very invasive and often damaging to wood stuctures. Just figured I'd pass that along. Do a search and see what you find!! Beautiful flower!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pam NJ 6B

Image hosting by TinyPic

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login humJ)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: Passion Flower for Stan

July 15 2007, 8:19 PM 

What a beautiful capture of this flower! Thanks for the info. I did not know that but I've never researched it either.

June
Wilmington DE
Z 7A

(Login Kristinbirds)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 15 2007, 10:12 PM 

Here's another one for Stan. I found this at Lowe's this spring. It wasn't flowering, and it was mislabelled as Passiflora incarnata. I could tell that it wasn't by the leaves. It's been blooming for about a month, now. I think it is either Passiflora "Amethyst," or Passiflora "Lavender Lady."

Although this one isn't a hummingbird flower, I understand that there are species of Passiflora that are attractive to hummingbirds. I think I remember P. vitifolia being mentioned, and I also think I saw P. coccinea on some list, somewhere.

Does anyone have a passionflower that hummingbirds like?

(Login Karen_Calypte)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 15 2007, 10:42 PM 

Quote:
The gardner said while beautiful, it is very invasive and often damaging to wood stuctures.

Hi Pam, How does it damage wood, you mean like a house or shed? I really fell in love with that Passion Flower after seeing one of the picture contest that Russ posted. After seeing his and your photos I am going to try and see if I can get a few just to put on our deck.

Karen
Southern California

This message has been edited by Karen_Calypte on Jul 15, 2007 10:43 PM

(Login WaystationSixThirtyFive)
Hummingbird lover 2007

I have one

July 15 2007, 11:02 PM 

i have one planted in my garden....it is the host plant for a few of the butterflies of the fritillary family. I love the flowers...they are beautiful and so distinctive.

Ron
Waystation #635
Albquerque, NM

(Login Linda313)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 15 2007, 11:05 PM 

Here's some info on passionflowers/maypops.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/p/passiflo.cfm

Linda313
OKC, OK

(Login standard65)

July 16 2007, 1:45 AM 

thank you, pam, I really appreciate it! and to kristin and linda for the additional info, as well.

it really is a beautiful blossom. I first saw it in texas last year, and was surprised that it would overwinter here.

I got it to try and attract gulf frits, ron. I didn't know they were here, either.

the cuttings are not wilty today. they look pretty good so far.

I'm going to try them on my landlady's chain link fence, pam. thanks for the warning.

stan
nashville, tn
usda zone6b

Pam
(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 16 2007, 8:19 AM 

The flower I posted looks like a Blue Passion Flower. I believe that the growing vine can damage bricks, wood and fences. I did some searches and found alot that said
Quote:
plants won't damage brickwork or fences

Soooooo I assume there are SOME species that are damaging. Now I'm not certain about the wood part.

Kristen,
Passiflora coccinea. Red Passion Flower was listed as attracts Hummingbirds.

I'm no expert, just giving a heads up.

Pam NJ 6B

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login hbwright)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 16 2007, 3:50 PM 

I have quite a bit growing in my backyard and I've noticed the hummers checking it out and drinking from it but it is not a lengthy stay and check out every blossom.

Heidi
Zone 7b-Indian Land, SC

(Login Kristinbirds)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 16 2007, 3:54 PM 

Pam, I think you're right about that passionflower. I just thought I'd add the name, "Passiflora caerulea," which is the scientific name for Blue Passionflower. Here's a link to a picture:

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=B562

My purple passionflower is a hybrid between the Blue Passionflower and something else--I forget what.

Also, here's a picture and info about the Red Passionflower, Passiflora coccinea. The Missouri Botanical site confirms it as a hummingbird flower. Maybe I'll try one next year!

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=B656

(Login southalbirder)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 16 2007, 7:47 PM 

This is the passiflora that I have growing. It wasn't tagged when I purchased it at a local nursery. I have never seen a hummingbird so much as check it out but the Gulf Fritillaries love it. I have had it for about 5 years and it is eaten to the ground by the GF cats but comes back every spring.

This is what we call the native passiflora that grow wild around here. Supposedly it is the plant of choice for the GF's.

Patti--Zone 8
Mobile, AL

This message has been edited by southalbirder on Jul 16, 2007 7:48 PM

(Login melaniecb)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 16 2007, 8:16 PM 

So THAT'S what those pesky caterpillars turn into! They all but destroy my passion vine every spring, and then I accidentally get it with the weed-wacker to boot. Mine is slowly coming back, but I don't know if hummers ever use it. I have the burgundy colored one...

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 16 2007, 8:22 PM 

The Scarlet Passionflower I grow was identified as Passiflora vitifolia by noted botanist and ornithologist Alexander Skutch. The leaves resemble those of grape vines, thus the specific epithet. According to the late, great Dr Skutch, the flowers are pollinated by the Long-tailed [currently Long-billed] Hermit. I observed one nectaring from some flowers while I was with Dr Skutch.

That said, I have only seen hummers here approach the spectacular flowers a few times. However, orioles will kill for them.

The vine is badly invasive. If I don't take some drastic action very soon, tendrils will be crawling in the windows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí­
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9

Kristin
(Login Kristinbirds)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 16 2007, 9:22 PM 

By the way, Patti, those are gorgeous photos of the passionflowers and butterflies. Nice work, and thanks for posting them!

(Login Celtguy)
Brugmansia Moderator - Emeritus

July 17 2007, 1:38 AM 

When I visited Costa Rica last November, my friends had a resident hummer that fed at their red passiflora all the time. The vine hung like a swag above the gate to their driveway. Here's a pic I took while I was there.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Patrick
Brug Moderator
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place

(Login standard65)

July 17 2007, 2:12 AM 

thanks for the great pics, patti and patrick.

here's the one I saw in texas last fall.

stan
nashville, tn
usda zone6b

Pam
(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 17 2007, 7:59 AM 

Patti,

WOW!!! What beautiful colors. Great pics, all of them!!

Pam NJ 6B

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login WaystationSixThirtyFive)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 6 2007, 12:47 PM 

I finally got a passionflower bloom today and remembered this post! Not a great pic, but passionflower is blooming here in New Mexico

It is a great looking flower.

Ron
Monarch Waystation #635
Albuquerque, NM

http://waystation635.blogspot.com/

(Login Kristinbirds)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 6 2007, 5:51 PM 

Ron, that looks like the same kind as mine! Don't you think?

I bought it early in the summer to replace my Passiflora incarnata, which I thought had died over the winter. Then, lo and behold, the incarnata started sending up sprouts in July, and is now sharing the trellis with my 'Amethyst,' or 'Lavender Lady,' or whatever it is. The incarnata hasn't bloomed yet, but I think there's a good chance it will before cold weather. Its blooms are a pale lavender, which should be a nice complement to the deeper amethyst tones.

I had heard that incarnata can be slow to break dormancy in the spring, but July?!! That's ridiculous. I'm glad it survived, though.

(Login jenny_in_SE_PA)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 6 2007, 7:25 PM 

I have grown Passiflora x belotti and a couple Passiflora edulis vines in pots for a bunch of years before I got a horrible mealie bug infestation on them and finally had to destroy them. I overwintered them inside and let them climb around my window. Below are pics of the belotti a couple years ago:

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

They are fun and fast-growing vines!

Jenny
SE PA USDA Zone 7
AHS Heat Zone 6
Sunset Zone 32

(Login standard65)

August 7 2007, 1:05 AM 

thanks, ron and jenny, for more excellent and beautiful examples. 3 of my 4 free cuttings are thriving away. one has dropped its leaves and is showing no new growth. I hope to see some blossoms here next year.

stan
nashville, tn
usda zone6b

Craig
(no login)

Passion Flower

June 15 2008, 11:51 AM 

The passion flower is pretty, but if you plant one be ready for it to take over your yard and your neighbors yards. We are trying to kill ours, they are everywhere.

(Login costaricafinca)
Hummingbird Member 2006

June 15 2008, 4:44 PM 

I have a descent sized passion flower near the house, but it hasn't sent runners etc out and no other stray plants are growing anywhere near it. The only problem I have with mine, Passiflora quadrangularis is that I have to propagate by hand to get fruit.
The perfume is beautiful and there is very little 'garbage' under it.
It makes good wine, too! I have a dozen or so Passiflora edulis plants at another spot on the farm, since I don't need to hand propagate them

I should add the the hummers ignore the plant but love to sit on the wire.

This message has been edited by costaricafinca on Jun 15, 2008 4:46 PM

(Login magialuna)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 15 2008, 10:48 PM 

They grow wild in the woods here. The locals call them Maypops.

Maryjane
W Ga
Zone 8a

(Login costaricafinca)
Hummingbird Member 2006

June 16 2008, 9:17 AM 

I think those are the ones with a very small flower, about inch across aren't they?

The Giant granadilla fruit can reach 12" long and weigh a couple of pounds each.The blooms are about 5" across.

Current Topic - Passion Flower for Stan  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005