<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

What kind of Hummingbird is this?

August 27 2008 at 7:17 PM
Martin  (Login Martin_D)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Just took the picture in the backyard, noticed a Rufous repeatedly diving at it trying to chase it away but it held its ground and seems to have taken over the prime part of the yard.

I put the two times teleconverter on the 400 2.8 to get some reach out to 800 mm and she landed on the perch in no time, as soon as I move around she leaves.

The back is a lot darker green than the Rufous juvi's that are around and when there chasing you can really see the difference.

Here is a close-up of the primaries, hopefully tomorrow I can get some pics that show them better.

Martin
--
Vancouver Island, zone 8B
Nikon D70/D200 300 f4 af-s, 400 2.8 af-i
www.frogpondphotography.com
www.frogpondphotography.blogspot.com

This message has been edited by Martin_D on Aug 28, 2008 3:42 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Patricia
(Login costaricafinca)
Bird Lover

Re: What kind of Hummingbird is this?

August 27 2008, 7:20 PM 

I can't help for sure, but will only say "it's a great shot of a lovely hummer' but it does look like a female Ruby throat.

This message has been edited by costaricafinca on Aug 27, 2008 7:23 PM

Nancy Newfield
(Login NLN)
Bird Lover

August 27 2008, 7:30 PM 

The bird isn't a female but rather an immature male. The shapes of the tail feathers say Archilochus, the genus of Ruby-throated and Black-chinned. I know that Ruby-throated would be a super-rarity in your neck of the woods, but it looks more like that than Black-chinned. The length of the wings and the length of the bill look more like Ruby-throated as well. The bird appears to be very young. Try to see color on that 1 iridescent feather in the center of the throat. Try also to get more images, especially one in profile showing the length of the bill in relation to the length of the head and also, the length of the wing in relation to the length of the tail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí­
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9

Martin
(Login Martin_D)
Hummingbird Member 2005

August 27 2008, 7:40 PM 

Thank you Patricia and Nancy, I will try to get some more pictures, at first I thought it was an Anna's and that I had finally attracted one to the yard but when I looked at the picture I knew it was something different.

Hopefully he will hand around and I can get some more pictures.

Martin
--

Martin
(Login Martin_D)
Hummingbird Member 2005

August 27 2008, 8:05 PM 

Here is more of a profile of the head, the small fleck of gorget was red when I took one shot with flash but the others it was colorless.

Martin
--

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Bird Lover

August 27 2008, 8:38 PM 

I wish I could see the primaries side on. It does seem short-billed like a male Ruby-throat.

These kind of IDs can really be a problem for a birder who spends nearly all his time within the range of just one species. You can't help but fall out of practice. This is the time of year I become concerned about proper IDs in my own yard. This is the time of year other species might begin to appear among the Ruby-throats. Early rarities don't usually stay long in a garden at this time of year in this neck of the woods. Our gardens are like pilings in a river current. The gull perched on the piling might think it is all the same water, but it isn't. A better image might be that of a flash flood with a beginning and an ending and a mad rush inbetween. My point is that we don't have much time to make an ID. Often by the time we think we might be on to something it is already too late - the flow has swept past us.

That is one cool bird Martin.

Nancy Newfield
(Login NLN)
Bird Lover

August 27 2008, 9:19 PM 

Martin, yes, this is a very cool bird and I'd bet there are not many records of the species from British Columbia. Whatever records committee there is there should be notified and your images will document the record for posterity.

As a member of the Louisiana Bird Records Committee, I can say that we appreciate any and all reports. Our annual meeting will be 6 September and we'll be wrestling with quite a few records of rarities, some downright outlandish.

Ward, you are correct that rarities don't usually stay around long this time of year. However, we have not had any rarities of the hummingbird kind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí­
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9

Patricia
(Login costaricafinca)
Bird Lover

August 27 2008, 9:38 PM 

The woman did the banding with lives in Vernon, in the interior of BC.

I noticed the 'mark' on the throat, but thought it was 'just a mark'.

*Martin, just re-read her email, and she doesn't get Ruby throats, but may be able to assist you.

This message has been edited by costaricafinca on Aug 29, 2008 5:13 PM

Martin
(Login Martin_D)
Hummingbird Member 2005

August 27 2008, 9:47 PM 

I managed a back view, when I sit out and wait he always faces me but when I am inside he sometimes faces the other way watching the Rufous up in the Elderberry tree, so I snuck out and got this picture when the back was facing me.

This is pretty exciting.

Martin
--

John Curran
(Login webjc)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Looks like a RTHU

August 27 2008, 10:03 PM 

Looks like a Ruby Throated hummingbird to me!

John Curran
Manchester, MO

Sarah
(Select Login sarahbn)
Feathered Friends Moderator 2005

August 27 2008, 10:21 PM 

How exciting a ruby-throated hummingbird in your garden!!

sarah merion station, Pennsylvania zone 6B

Martin
(Login Martin_D)
Hummingbird Member 2005

August 28 2008, 3:49 AM 

Looking at the records for British Columbia Ruby-throated are not uncommon in the Peace River area which is the North East part of the province on the other side of the Rocky Mountains. There has been a couple of sightings on Vancouver island around 1977 very close to here maybe a fifteen minute drive, they were in May.

Martin
--

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

August 28 2008, 7:32 AM 

Martin that is very exciting. There may have been several sitings but they are few and far between. Just think how far that little guy traveled to reach you.

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39

Ward - 7
(Login WardDa)
Bird Lover

August 28 2008, 8:30 AM 

I wonder if the 1970s sightings were fully documented and how? Not as well as Martin's I'll bet.

sandy
(Login birdlegs1)
Feathered Friends Moderator 2005

August 28 2008, 8:54 AM 

That is exciting Martin. How great to see a differant species visiting your yard, a great pictures of it to boot.

birdlegs
zone 5
S.E. Lower MI.

Martin
(Login Martin_D)
Hummingbird Member 2005

August 28 2008, 9:52 AM 

The sightings in the seventy's are documented in the book birds of BC here is a link from google books, page 482.

http://books.google.com/books?id=U1TRsth_9j0C&pg=PA482&lpg=PA482&dq=RBCM+Photo+626&source=web&ots=A3Q8r2vX7L&sig=GyqjWeBtIMy7V7fTFPqjvws5jb0&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result#PPA482,M1

Sounds like there were pictures but not good enough for identification, also it was a mature male so that would have been easier to id.

He is still there this morning and has already been chasing with the Rufous and has taken over the best spot again, this is good since I can get pictures again, this is the first time I have ever seen a Ruby-throated and heard there calls, I have seen Black-chinned before but never a juvenile.

Martin
--

Patricia
(Login costaricafinca)
Bird Lover

August 28 2008, 10:20 AM 

Well, Martin, your photos for ID'ing this hummer couldn't be better! Congtaulations.
Did you fee the earthquake there this morning as is being reported? Or were you just too busy with your visitor?

Nancy Newfield
(Login NLN)
Bird Lover

August 28 2008, 10:40 AM 

Martin, after reading the information about previous records of Ruby-throated in your area, I am excited about your adding to the body of knowledge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí­
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9

Martin
(Login Martin_D)
Hummingbird Member 2005

August 28 2008, 11:04 AM 

Another earthquake, that's like the third this week, there way offshore so we didn't feel them here. Doesn't sound like there is any risk since it is so far out in the ocean.

Martin
--

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics