<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Ok I meant to say my Hummingbirds have disappeared

May 24 2009 at 8:42 PM
  (Login aprice9066)
Hummingbird lover 2009

I am a true hummingbird lover and have seen very few and nothing now for the last two weeks. I hear that they like to come back to the same spots, is thaT TRUE?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login magialuna)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Ok I meant to say my Hummingbirds have disappeared

May 24 2009, 10:13 PM 

Don't lose heart! My year so far has gone like this:

1. 4 showed up and were here 2 weeks-split.
2. None for weeks.
3. About 6 more showed up, tanked up, then to went on to wherever.
4. During all this a male and a female mated and stayed here.
5. About 6 more showed up..then about 2 weeks later...
6. The hoarde showed up. (Several dozen.) If this goes like last year they'll be here all summer.

I look at it this way: if some show up and I can help them bulk back up for the last leg of their journey it makes me happy. When they leave I know at least I've helped in some way.

happy.gif

Maryjane
W Ga
Zone 8a

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 24 2009, 11:46 PM 

Amy, what you will see is usually dependent upon whether or not the hummers are nesting in your immediate vicinity. At my place, in suburban New Orleans, there are no nesting Ruby-throateds. Therefore, I will see a smattering of northbound migrants in March, April, and early May. Then, as all the migrants finish passing, I will go 4-6 weeks before seeing any more. At present, I have not observed a hummer since early May.

Very occasionally, I might see one high up in a Trumpet Creeper that I can see from the computer or at a neighbor's Mimosa. However, that has not been the case this spring. I will have to wait until late June or early July before I see any.

In early July, I begin seeing post-breeding dispersers or southbound migrants. The hummers may be few and far between at that point and mostly, they will not be using feeders. Later in the month, I expect to see more. Then, the garden will get busier in August and very busy in September. In July and August, I concentrate my observations on the flowers as there will be few feeder junkies at that time. In September, the demand for nectar will be great as the majority of the population will be rushing to head south while natural nectar sources are at their peak. Feeders can be busy in September.

Patience is a virtue, but it helps to understand the pattern of occurrences. During the peak of the breeding season, females will require more insect food to provide protein to the rapidly growing youngsters. They will spend more time in wooded areas near water rather than using the feeders.

Last week at my spring/summer/fall banding site, we only saw a couple of females very briefly and we failed to catch any. Today, we caught 2 adult males, saw one more male and a couple of females. I did not see either of the females approach a feeder. We are about 1/4 mile from the swamps where they nest and we have not yet seen any youngsters though there should be fledged young about soon. We expect to see the first of the class of 2009 by the first or second week of June.

Keep the faith. They will come, if you've provided the food for them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
[linked image]

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 25 2009, 1:00 AM 

This year my situation is about the same as yours and others mentioned here. But usually when the first males arrive they stay but not this year and I believe I screwed it all up by allowing the wildbirds to fill my yard with my wildbird feeders. And strange as it seems the hummers were put off with all the activity here. After all that is why they left their mexican winterin grounds in the first place. So it is very hit and miss here right now , maybe later on things will get better.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Premier Login bob2aa)
Forum Owner

Hi Amy

May 25 2009, 5:54 AM 

[linked image] [linked image]

Hang in there!!

-
Cheers,Bob
USDA Plant Hardiness Zone 6a
Lexington,Ky.
It's Spring!
[linked image]

Current Topic - Ok I meant to say my Hummingbirds have disappeared  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005