<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Homemade hummingbird perch

July 13 2009 at 4:31 PM
Carol WNY  (Login CarolWNY)
Hummingbird Member 2006

I notice that my hummingbirds really like to perch on the tomato cages that I use to support plants around the garden. When cleaning out my shed, I found a few rings that had come off of broken cages and decided to tie them to shepherd's hooks that have hummingbird feeders or plants hanging from them.

Here are a few pictures - the last one proves that they like this new perch as they are playing their own game of King of the Ring!
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Carol WNY
Amherst, NY
Zone 5
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Homemade hummingbird perch

July 13 2009, 5:10 PM 

Excellent idea Carol. I have also hung rings to the topcross bar on an arbor with a hook and then hung a feeder at the bottom of the ring. The perch on the ring that way also. If you have a smaller ring your could wire it at the top of the larger one and let it hang free on the bottom and they could use it as a little swing [linked image]

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Mimidi)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 14 2009, 12:45 AM 

I like to make the homemade perches.

Dianne
Southeast Alabama
Heat Zone 8
Sunset Zone 31
[linked image]

(Login Carolmb)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Homemade hummingbird perch

July 14 2009, 8:10 AM 

Carol - An excellent idea and real cute photo!

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6
[linked image]

(Login loubby)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 14 2009, 11:40 AM 

Dianne, I am glad to see your post. I was beginning to worrry about you.

(Login loubby)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 14 2009, 11:44 AM 

Carol, great idea. I see them on my tomato cages too. Earlier I had one of the little mini greenhouses on my porch full of seedlings. The little male that has been with me all season would perch and preen on the little rod that goes across the top, especially when it rained.

Carol WNY
(Login CarolWNY)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 16 2009, 7:06 AM 

Linda,
They do seem to like the thickness of that thin wire, don't they? I also made a perch for them in my vegetable garden by taping two bamboo stakes together and topping it with a wooden nob with a straightened piece of coat hanger stuck through it. It sticks up above the tall flower border in that part of the yard so I can check and see them there often.

Whatever it takes to keep tabs on those hummingbirds!

Carol WNY
Amherst, NY
Zone 5
[linked image]

(Login mbuckmaster)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 24 2009, 6:22 PM 

Carol, I've also noticed my hummers love the tomato cages...think I'll try to make one of your perches!

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Zone 7B
North Carolina Piedmont

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

July 25 2009, 9:24 AM 

Maybe I need more purchase in my garden and that is why I am not seeing them. I think I will go dig out all those bamboo stakes in the garage that aren't being used and put perches all over the yard.

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Priya
(Login Priya_S)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 25 2009, 9:49 AM 

Penny, after all these days, it seems like we finally have a 'resident' hummer. I think it is a young female. Even my first year, they came much earlier. It's just a bizarre season. The guaraniticas are barely flowering. You should be getting fledgelings soon. The adult male appears to have moved on.

Priya
Zone 7, Maryland

Current Topic - Homemade hummingbird perch  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005