<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Salvia greggii questions

November 28 2009, 5:16 PM 

A lot of our nurseries get some plants from Monrovia but get very few of the Salvias. They purchase plants from several wholesale sources so even if your nurseries get some plants from Monrovia they may or may not get what you are looking for.

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

December 13 2009, 8:56 PM 

If anyone has grown both wild thing and pink preference, which one do you prefer? They look pretty similar in photos, but maybe one has more vibrant blooms, blooms more vigorously, grows larger, etc?

Dan
Zone 5a
East-central Iowa

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

December 14 2009, 6:24 AM 

Dan
I had both Pink Preference and Wild Thing and I believe Ward did too. I purchased Wild Think locally and Pink Preference from Bustani Plant Farm in OK (mail order). Pink Preference far and away outperformed Wild Think for me. Both were planted in the same bed. Pink Preference bloomed from day one until frost Wild Thing didn't start blooming until the end of the summer for me and even then the blooms were hit and miss. Wild Thing may have been a tad bigger when I got it but pretty close to the same size as Pink Preference. Pink Prefrence grew more bushy and upright and Wild Thing was more lax.

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Ward -zone 7
(Login WardDa)
Bird Lover

December 14 2009, 8:52 AM 

When it comes to looks it is 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Pink Preference just arrived last year so I don't have much experience with it. Wild Thing is the toughest greggii I have ever grown. An eighteen plant row of them still has sixteen plants after 4 years. They have survived being run over by cars and heavy equipment in the dead of winter and have bloomed as early as the end of April. It forms a bush 2 to 3 feet wide and tall. No season is the same with greggii, but most years it remains in bloom for May to hard freeze.

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

December 14 2009, 9:05 AM 

Ward always seems to have the exact opposite results LOL! That is why I always suggest getting Ward's opinion too. If my Wild Thing survives this winter, I will see how it performs next year. If I have the same results as this year, It will either be culled or transplanted in a more inconspicuous spot instead of the center border of my front island bed.

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Bird Lover

December 14 2009, 12:17 PM 

Different places different results seems to be par for the course with a lot of these hummingbird plants. All I can do is say what happened to me. Pink Preference sounds like a good greggii which is why I ordered it in 2008 but it never got out of its pot this year so I can't speak to it. This year it will get its chance with a half dozen cuttings and we'll see.

Gary
(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

December 14 2009, 3:00 PM 

I have grown Wild Thing for at least 6 years but I've never grown Pink Preference. It grew in clay at my former house and survived being transplanted to my current house. It survives the winters here without any protection. It is a lax grower for me and blooms from about mid/late July until frost.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
USDA Zone 5b

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

December 14 2009, 3:03 PM 

I will also add that Ward has the right soil for greggiis as well as other salvias. If I am not mistaken he has sandy loam. I only have that in a portion of one bed the rest of my beds are clay based with more and more compost and a sand/peat topsoil mix being added each year in hopes that it will improve over time.

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Dec 14, 2009 3:50 PM

What is "Your Name?"
(Login WardDa)
Bird Lover

December 16 2009, 8:32 AM 

Yes, it is all about local conditions and my soil does have quite a bit of sand in it. The conditions at Palmyra are if anything too sandy and barren. For me the greggii and microphylla are almost perfect plants - almost perfect which allows me to look for better seedlings, and that is fun.

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Butterfly Lover

December 16 2009, 12:06 PM 

I have intended to order pink prefenence, but didnt , I wanted to get wild thing, but didnt. I too have clay soil but have amended my beds with an organic type of compost from lowes which plants seem to grow well in. I plopped a cherry chief plant in virgin soil with amendment and it did well that very year. I tried to order pink preference that first year with bustani but they were out and havent tried since so this year if I want it I need to order early.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

December 16 2009, 12:11 PM 

Steve, I will likely get a couple blue ensigns from Rich next spring and I'm considering getting both a pink preference and wild thing as well, assuming he still has both in stock.

Dan
Zone 5a
East-central Iowa

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Dec 16, 2009 12:12 PM

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

January 24 2010, 5:47 PM 

What are a couple of the best magenta/wine colored greggiis?

Dan
Zone 5a
East-central Iowa

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Bird Lover

January 25 2010, 6:26 AM 

Greggii or hybrid Plum Wine is very hardy. My plants came from A World of Salvias and Richard may still offer them since they are so hardy.

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

January 25 2010, 7:22 AM 

For me greggiis in the Stampede Series have been pretty hardy for me with minimum protection. The jury is still out on my other greggiis...Furman's Red, Pink Perfection Wild Thing and Cherry Chief. I have these in various locations and soil conditons so I will see how each does this spring. Some had mulch added to them this fall, Furman's Red was mulched and then covered with a Rose Cone and one Cherry Chief was planted in a spot where the soil doesn't freeze hard

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 1 2010, 9:26 PM 

Again, for those of you who have grown both wild thing and pink preference, is there a difference in the bloom color? I already have a pink preference coming from Bustani next week. I'm considering getting a wild thing from Rich as well and I'm more likely to pull the trigger if the two plants are different shades of pink.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on May 1, 2010 9:43 PM

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

May 1 2010, 9:34 PM 

Pink Preference is definitely much more pink than wild thing. BTW, Neither of these plants survived for me this winter.

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Linda B
(Login loubby)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 1 2010, 11:06 PM 

My wild thing is magenta. I just took some cuttings from mine today. It is usually in bloom by now but the harsh winter we had really took a toll on it.

Linda
ne AL
zone 7b
[linked image]

Susan Bowers
(no login)

Salvia Gregg Mesa Purple

May 13 2017, 5:57 PM 

I am desperately looking for salvia Gregii Mesa Purple. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 14 2017, 2:53 AM 

Susan,

This is the closest that I could come:

http://www.fbts.com/salvia-microphylla-mesa-azure.html

http://site.mawebcenters.com/accentsforhomeandgarden_1/catalog_i13620360.html?catId=295626

Additionally, here is the Dave's Garden page on this plant:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/193855/

It is not really clear whether this plant is a greggii or a microphylla.

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 14 2017, 8:32 AM 

Susan, you'd probably have better luck looking for a new purple salvia called 'VIBE Ignition Purple'.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on May 14, 2017 8:32 AM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics