<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
I love Hummingbirds
(Login kecarter)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Re: Salvia greggii questions

May 14 2017, 1:53 PM 

I have not seen Mesa Purple in many years. There are better purples in any case.
Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
On the Pacific Coast, USDA Zones 8 & 9

Richard Dufresne
(Login RichDufresne)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Salvia greggii purple forms

May 14 2017, 4:17 PM 

I don't know of any purple Salvia greggii hybrids or related crosses with S. lycioides, S. coahuilensis, S. muelleri, or S. chamaedryoides (NONE of which qualify as S. x jamensis, which is strictly S. greggii x microphylla) that are hardy in USDA zone 5, or even zone 6. I am testing a few new ones in my friend's garden in western Massachusetts this year.

Here are the results of this last winter's trials. Note that the lavender Christine Yeo made it.

Salvia chamaedryoides x microphylla `Christine Yeo’
Salvia glabrescens `Shi Ho’
Salvia greggii `Grace Pink'
Salvia greggii `Salmon Dance'
Salvia microphylla `Flower Child'
Salvia microphylla `Zaragoza'
Salvia microphylla x darcyi `Penny's Smile'
Salvia pallida

This was a zone 6a winter in her normally 5b climate. Plum Wine has made it for years.

Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

May 14 2017, 6:02 PM 

Ultra Violet has been in the park gardens going on 10 years now. The flowers might be considered smallish by some, but it has a very neat habit, bushy but strong stemmed. It would function as a super front of border salvia. Currently the plants blooming fairly well and after yesterday's heavy rain and this weeks forecast heat will go full blast.

Dylan
(Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

May 15 2017, 10:52 PM 

My Grace Pink returned and both of my Ultra Violet returned as well! I ordered 3 more Grace Pink plants hope they continue to do well here!

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 16 2017, 5:54 PM 

I grew 'Flower Child' in the ground a few years ago & it didn't survive but unsure of winter weather conditions that year (I need to start a log). I loved that Salvia...stayed very petite & tidy & flowers were smaller than others I grew but it flowered its head off.

Ward...didn't know 'Ultra Violet' was that old. Only saw it available about 4 years ago. I grew it year before last in a pot but didn't bring it in since I bought it locally & thought I would be able to get it again & then they didn't carry it.

I don't get any of these types to overwinter except for 'Maraschino' which finally bit the dust this year after having it for several years bought from High Country Gardens, but seedlings from the main plants seem to hang in there over winter & appear stronger. I've had some last a few years in the past but eventually die out.

Had a warm winter but lack of snowfall seems to have taken its toll on a few perennials I've found so far.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Richard Dufresne
(Login RichDufresne)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Salvia greggii x microphylla Maraschino

May 17 2017, 10:39 AM 

Maraschino was my very first release, and was probably a cross of Salvia greggii Furman's Red with a form of S. microphylla from Far North Gardens, a now defunct nursery in Michigan. I sent seed that I collected of the Far North Gardens sage to Dr. James Compton when he was at the Chelsea Physic Garden in the late 80s and suspect that it is the progenitor of his Salvia microphylls Forever Red, which I got on a visit at Betsy Clebsch's garden back at the first Salvia Summit.

Brett (KY)
(Login afvn71)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 17 2017, 11:36 AM 

Richard,
Thank you for Maraschino. It is my favorite Hummingbird plant. It flowers abundantly, is hardy and grows from cuttings (or more often broken branches) almost without fail. Brittleness is it's only negative for me. If I could only have one plant, Maraschino would be it. Brett

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 17 2017, 11:02 PM 

Richard,

Maraschino has been a very reliable (although not hardy) plant in our hummingbird garden. I know I can always depend on it to grow and bloom, even in a little bit of shade (which we have too much of now!) We grow it without fail every season. So, thank you for hybridizing it.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Larry-Southaven, MS USDA Zone 7B
(Login LarryForce)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

Salvia Greggii Questions

May 18 2017, 9:45 AM 

Thanks so much Richard for Maraschino Salvia, I have grown it for a number of years and know I can always count on it to return and grow very well for me. For me it doesn't freeze back to the ground. I just prune it back every year. A very fine greggii cross.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 19 2017, 4:48 PM 

I just discovered that Almost Eden Plants has Mesa Salvia Azure as a new plant:

https://almostedenplants.com/shopping/products/c155-2017-new-plants/?page=3
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics