<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Agapanthus

April 28 2010 at 2:25 AM
  (Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Has anyone ever tried this plant for hummingbirds? I have always been intrigued by it, but of course, it's not hardy in Zone 4/5. Last week, I noticed a catalog that offered Agapanthus bulbs (a new item on the market) that are hardy to zone 5. Here's the Dave's Garden page on this plant with photos, etc.:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/139/

[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Agapanthus

April 28 2010, 6:06 AM 

I have seen it listed occasionally as a hummer plant but that is about all the info that I can provide.

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Suchie
(Login Suchiek)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 28 2010, 6:37 AM 

Kathi,

I have a midnight blue agapanthus growing in between some shrub roses. The bloom season was very short for me, and it did not get much action. However, it is back this year and if anything happens, I'll let you know.

Suchie

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 28 2010, 7:37 AM 

Kathi,

I totally understand the infatuation, I had a love affair with an Agapanthus Lili of the Nile once myself. They certainly LOOk like they should attract a hummer, I suppose its all about nectar content and I have no idea. Do it for yourself anyways. A bulb that over winters, hmmm

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 28 2010, 9:26 AM 

I don't know either and I have heard conflicting reports. One that lived in a pot last year spent the winter on the porch and needs planting. We will see what happens.

(Login avorancher)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 28 2010, 11:03 AM 

[linked image]

I have agapanthus in several locations. Blooms from mid-May until late July around here. Regular ones get huge, so I'm changing over to 'Peter Pan Blue' which is a dwarf variety that blooms around 18" and foliage stays around 8". Garden snails love them. I see an occasional Hummingbird use them, but not a favorite.

It is listed as full sun... but long hot CA days will burn them.

Farmer Steve
Deluz, CA usda zone 10a (between LA and San Diego)
Fallbrook.gif

Current Topic - Agapanthus  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005