<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 & 29!!

October 24 2010 at 11:59 AM
Michael and Kathi Rock  (Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

We have been out of town from October 19 to 23. I (Michael) was in the backyard fixing our small garden pond that had run dry (dry due to a kink in the water supply tubing). Prior to going out of town, our garden was still going strong due to the absence of a hard freeze. There must have been a freeze while we were gone, because the canna leaves and Salvia coccinea are toasted. However, other plants continue to fare well including Salvia guaranitica, Salvia greggi, and Lonicera sempervirens.

Anyway, back to the story. After filling the pond, I see....... a hummingbird flitting about the aforementioned flowers!! I was shocked. This little guy (or girl) was fat. As much as I would like to make this out to be something other than a ruby throated hummingbird, there was no trace of rufous anywhere on this bird. The back and tail were totally green with white tipped tail feathers. Despite having 8 feeders still hanging in the backyard, the bird was only going to flowers. After sampling the flowers in the backyard, it went towards the front yard (which is on the south side of our house). I suspect the hummer is gone now, so no opportunity to obtain a picture.

This is our second latest sighting of a hummer (our previous late date was October 27.)

As Yogi Berra said, "It ain't over till it's over".

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

This message has been edited by kathijr on Oct 29, 2010 4:39 PM
This message has been edited by kathijr on Oct 28, 2010 8:20 AM
This message has been edited by kathijr on Oct 27, 2010 5:23 PM
This message has been edited by kathijr on Oct 26, 2010 5:53 PM
This message has been edited by kathijr on Oct 26, 2010 12:33 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

Re: I just saw a hummer in Madison, WI; Oct. 24 at 10 a.m.

October 24 2010, 12:43 PM 

Wow, Kathi. I didn't expect to get another sighting report from anyone north of me. My garden is still going pretty strong, but I haven't seen a hummer in 11 days. I've been spending much less time watching for them so it's possible I've missed one.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

October 24 2010, 1:16 PM 

I had a female RTHU yesterday, the 23rd. That's the latest migrant for me. I was hoping for a Rufous, but I think she was a Ruby. I didn't get a real good look though.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login Ornithophilous)
Hummingbird Member 2006

October 24 2010, 10:44 PM 

Wow, congrats! You inspired me to spend some time out in my garden--no freeze here yet, lots of flowers, but alas--no hummers. Still, it was nice to get outside and enjoy the flowers, which normally are toast by this time of year.

Donald

Zone 4 Red Wing MN

(Login Carolmb)
Hummingbird Member 2006

I jlust saw a hummer in Madison, WI Oct 24 at 10 a.m.

October 25 2010, 6:56 AM 

Oh Kathi that is just wonderful - what a sight to see upon return - makes one wonder if it had stayed a few days while you were gone. Nice!

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6
[linked image]

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

October 25 2010, 4:56 PM 

Kathi, Michael,

I know how excited y'all are about getting such a late migrant. Although we caught 4 Ruby-throateds yesterday, I had not seen one here at Casa Colibrí in a week. That is until today! And, I am pretty sure I saw 2 different birds. One appeared to be an immature male while the other was a female.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
[linked image]

(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

I just saw a hummer in Madison, WI; Oct. 24 at 10 a.m.---ANOTHER HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 25

October 26 2010, 12:41 AM 

Thanks for all of your nice comments everyone. It's great to have The Forum to turn to share our excitment with others who understand!!

Late this afternoon (Monday, October 25) I was looking out our dining room window when I saw a hummingbird using our First Nature feeder hanging right near the window. At first I thought I was seeing things, but then I got closer to the window and lo and behold, it was a very thin looking Ruby-throated hummingbird (the bird that Michael saw on Sunday was quite well nourished and healthy, whereas this one did not appear to be in such great condition.) I did not see any buffy on the body and heard no "chipping" noise (the window was open because of our unusually warm temperatures), which probably rules out a Selasphorus. Anyhow, like the bird from Sunday, it fed quickly and was never seen again. I went out into the yard immediately and looked around and saw no evidence of it. Wow, another posting to Journey North (where there are no other postings for Wisconsin for quite some time.)

I guess it's not over until it's over. We keep hoping for that Rufous someday, but we'll enjoy the late Ruby-throated migrants while we still can.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: I just saw a hummer in Madison, WI; Oct. 24 at 10 a.m.---ANOTHER HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 25

October 26 2010, 10:23 AM 

Kathi

Way to go , how fantastic to get a hummer this late and that far north. Been without hummers here for about a month now. Ive had enough frosts here that not much is flowering , very sparse black and blue and some salvia darcyi are hanging in , also some lady in red and reseeding plants showing red.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: I just saw a hummer in Madison, WI; Oct. 24 at 10 a.m.---ANOTHER HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 25

October 26 2010, 10:45 AM 

That is amazing that there are so many late migrants this year. Perhaps there were quite a few late nesters.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login nalono)
Hummingbird Member 2005

October 26 2010, 12:19 PM 

Interesting to see that there are still a few hummers up north. We haven't seen any since the 12th but still do have a couple feeders up. We haven't had a frost yet so the little red and little yellow morning glories and the Cape Honeysuckle are still blooming in case any late ones come by.

(Login Pennytoo)

October 26 2010, 12:53 PM 

Jacques told me via email this morning that there is a hummer in Quebec Province near him. He is going to try and see it today to get a positive ID. I took my last feeder down on Sunday since I haven't seen anything in a month and a half but most of my plants are still blooming and some of my Monarda and my Rusellia have stared blooming again(my plants are all out of sync. this year). This may be the last few days of blooms since we may be in the 40's by the week end depending on what weather report you watch.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Priya
(Login Priya_S)
Hummingbird Member 2006

October 26 2010, 2:07 PM 

I still had a hummer this morning.I did not get a close look, but I assume it's a rubythroat. This warm weather will last till Thursday.

Priya
Zone 7, Maryland

(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

I just saw a hummer in Madison, WI; Oct. 24.---ANOTHER HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 25 & 26

October 26 2010, 5:56 PM 

I had another sighting of the hummer today around 11:45 a.m. at the same feeder. It was a longer feeding this time, so I was able to see that it was definitely a Ruby-throat (and not a fat one!) With the cold and stormy weather that is now upon us, I can't imagine that we will see any more hummingbirds this season, but you never know.

[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Hummer in Madison, WI; Oct. 24.---ANOTHER HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 25, 26 & 27!!

October 27 2010, 5:30 PM 

I saw the hummer again on the same feeder in the late afternoon. Earlier today because of the very high winds, the feeder fell down and I immediately went outside and found it was empty and brought it inside to refill with fresh nectar (strange to make hummingbird nectar in almost November.) We are having a terrible day weatherwise, extreme wind and temps around 50---burrr. Anyhow, the little hummer really seemed to enjoy the fresh nectar. October 27 is our latest observed date of a hummer, so it will be interesting to see if we see her (I think it's an immature female) tomorrow. By the way, she is looking fatter than yesterday.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

(Login Carolmb)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Hummer in Madison WI !!!! Octo27th!!

October 28 2010, 6:12 AM 

WOW - Kathi [linked image] that is just terrific! And am glad to hear he/she is fattening up. What a bonus look!

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6
[linked image]

(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Hummer in Madison, WI; Oct. 24.---ANOTHER HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 25, 26 & 27!!

October 28 2010, 8:18 AM 

I saw her at the feeder at 7:15 a.m. this morning, October 28 and we have now surpassed our latest observed date of October 27. Given that our temperatures will only be in the low 40's today, I feel sorry for it though.

[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

Priya
(Login Priya_S)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 24, 25, 26, 27 & 28 in Madison, WI!!

October 28 2010, 8:44 AM 

That's great news, Kathi! Hope the little one does OK in the cold.
I saw a hummer this morning, the same one I guess. It has been going almost exclusively to the salvia Anthony Parker. It seems to be fatter than a few days ago.The coloring seems much more dull than the other hummers, but I have not been able to get a good look.The bird is very skittish.This is our last warm day, so I hope it will be OK.

Priya
Zone 7, Maryland

(Login Pennytoo)

October 28 2010, 10:11 AM 

That just blows me away. The one year I had a late Oct. hummer, it worried me to death that she wouldn't survive migration.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login CowboyinBRLA)
Hummingbirder 2008

October 29 2010, 1:25 AM 

Kathi,

I know you're concerned for your bird (and certainly, it would probably have greater odds of survival overall if it had fattened up and left already), but we have Ruby-throats survive the winter here when days don't get much above 40 (though, of course, we seldom have multiple nights in a row that go well below freezing). And from what I understand of Nancy's studies, these wintering birds don't carry fat on them to either buffer the cold temps or provide extra energy.

He may not be thoroughly comfortable, but he may well make it till he finally moves on (assuming & hoping he does).

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 24, 25, 26, 27 & 28 in Madison, WI!!

October 29 2010, 10:37 AM 

Thanks for this insight Kevin. We think the bird left late yesterday afternoon as I haven't seen her yet this morning. However, there is another Ruby-throat in Wisconsin that made it through the night and is still here (her bird just arrived yesterday and was very thin.) Our hummer looked quite fat the last time I saw her at the feeder and was working hard all week to pack on the fat (we still had quite a few salvias blooming.) I guess these birds know when it's time to leave and we need to respect their decision.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 24, 25, 26, 27 & 28 in Madison, WI!!

October 29 2010, 4:38 PM 

I had not seen our bird yet today and then I saw it at the feeder around 3:15 p.m., so she's still here with us. Amazing given that we had our first hard freeze last night!

[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

(Login DJoanH)
Hummingbird lover 2009

Re: Hummer seen on Oct 24 25 26 27 28 & 29

October 30 2010, 3:44 PM 

I had not seen a hummingbird for about a week. I wanted to make sure they were all gone before taking down the feeder so I put up the video camera this morning. An Anna showed up after about three and one-half hours. It used a differnt port than they others usually used so it must be a new one. Looks like the feeder stays up awhile longer.

DJoanH
Joan
Centeral Washington State

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 & 29!!

September 19 2011, 2:03 PM 

Kathi and Michael

It was great fun for me to go back thru the archives and relive this exciting time you had last season breaking records for last sighting. Having hummers this late would always make you think that maybe you would see a rufous. I noted in a later post that you mentioned you had a RT hummer as late as nov. 5th. Did you have a sighting beyond that?

With your excellent gardens Im not too surprised that had the late visitors. Im thinking though that there is some luck involved meaning ,, how long can your gardens go without getting those killing frosts. Many young birds may not yet know how to feed from feeders as yet and may pass those by. Last year I think I had early frosts which did my garden in.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Stevenindy on Sep 19, 2011 2:20 PM

(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 & 29!!

September 19 2011, 5:18 PM 

Steve,

Thanks for finding this message---amazing!! Anyhow, our last Ruby-throat in 2010 was NOVEMBER 17. We saw at least one bird every day until that date. Overall, we had a very warm fall and much of our garden continued for quite some time (our first killing frost was on November 1, which is quite late for Madison, WI). As we mentioned in an earlier post, our new hummingbird feeding station may have helped quite a bit, but we'll have to re-evaluate it this season. We will be interested to see how long we can go without a killing frost (we came close last week, but only dropped to 36 degrees one night---everything in the garden was OK.) We assume that once the flowers begin to die that the number of small insects also declines and then the hummers have little to keep them in our garden. We have never had a Rufous or other Western vagrant, but are waiting and hoping for that someday.

Overall, we felt that our gardening efforts were highly successful this year and some plants that had not worked in the past few seasons (such as Stachytarpheta and Canna) were strong because of the heat earlier in the season.

We'll keep everyone posted on how things are going. We are still seeing a lot of hummers today in our yard, so everything continues and we must enjoy it while it lasts.

[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 & 29!!

September 19 2011, 7:25 PM 

Kathi and Michael

Wow, what an excellent season you guys had last year ,lets hope we dont have any early killing frosts this season. I agree we have to enjoy every day that they are around for as Nancy N. has mentioned not every year is the same. Last year my last sighting was the 29th of this month, Im hoping to at least beat that date.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Current Topic - HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 & 29!!  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005