<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Anna's Hummingbirds in Iowa & Michigan

November 6 2010 at 1:20 AM
  (Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

When I was looking for other late Ruby-throat reports in the Upper Midwest (yes, our Madison, WI Ruby-throat is still here on November 5!), I noticed that there is an Anna's Hummingbird coming to a feeder in Des Moines, Iowa (I bet you'd love to go and see this bird Dan!) and two Anna's Hummingbirds (adult male and female) coming to a yard in Grand Marais, Michigan.

We had an Anna's hummingbird in Stoughton, a suburb of Madison, in October 2007. That was something to see. Here's a link to the photo on our website:

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/mjrock/web/annas.htm

Unfortunately, there have been no reports of any Western vagrant hummingbirds in Wisconsin this Fall. I think our late Ruby-throat is as good as it gets.

Amazing that these birds find their way to our cold northern states!!

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Ornithophilous)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: Anna's Hummingbirds in Iowa & Michigan

November 6 2010, 9:39 AM 

The Anna's reports are amazing. It has been a very slow year for vagrants in MN & WI, though. It seems like there are always at least a few stray Rufous hummers that pass through. We've had unusually warm weather here, but hope your hummer is able to find it's way south soon, before winter arrives in full force!

Don

Zone 4 Red Wing MN

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

November 6 2010, 10:59 AM 

Those reports are truly amazing. So unbelievable that annas could be that far north and east and this late in the year. Heres hoping they will find their way to where they need to be before long.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

November 6 2010, 12:04 PM 

Well, they would all be welcome at my place!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
[linked image]

(Login Celtguy)
Brugmansia Moderator - Emeritus

November 6 2010, 1:20 PM 

Ok now...we're being benevolent in sharing our Anna's in RT country...how about y'all returning the favor and sendind us some RT's out here?! [linked image]

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Anna's Hummingbirds in Iowa & Michigan

November 7 2010, 12:34 PM 

The Anna's hummingbird is still present in Des Moines, Iowa. Here's a link to photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abrees/

[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

November 8 2010, 8:48 AM 

Anna's is so rare mid country and in the east - what are the odds of two in one place? New Jersey is still waiting for its first.

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

November 8 2010, 10:22 AM 

Ward said, "Anna's is so rare mid country and in the east - what are the odds of two in one place? New Jersey is still waiting for its first."

Anna's is pretty rare for us in Louisiana, but when the first were found in November 1979, there were 3 individuals. The location was not even a garden, but rather an oil field, where the birds were using the flowers of Salt Matrimony Vine [Lycium carolinianum]. In 1995, I banded 2 adult females and observed a third in a garden in the town of Cameron, about 15 miles from the site of the first to be found.

Don't forget that New York's first Calliopes were 2 immature males together in a public garden in New York City. Strange, but true!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
[linked image]

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

November 8 2010, 12:22 PM 

"Strange but true": when I think of the odds I must conclude we live in a strange but marvelous world. It is not as if hummingbirds flock together like geese in migration or in this case did two birds travel by day together over such a long and difficult distance. We'll never know.

(Login DJoanH)
Hummingbird lover 2009

November 8 2010, 7:28 PM 

We still have our female Anna. It has been warm here. When the days cool off she will probably head for the coast.

DJoanH
Central Washington (Yakima)

Current Topic - Anna's Hummingbirds in Iowa & Michigan  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005