<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Lonicera periclymenum 'Belgica'

March 13 2011 at 11:21 AM
  (Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

One of our local places is offering this & it looks interesting (flower form similar to Goldflame). Has anyone grown this & if so, report please!

http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/lonicera-honeysuckle-6/lonicera-belgica-271.html

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Lonicera periclymenum 'Belgica'

March 13 2011, 1:21 PM 

This a Dutch honeysuckle so there is a possibility that it could be an invasive plant here. I haven't tried it.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Celtguy)
Brugmansia Moderator - Emeritus

March 13 2011, 2:24 PM 

Penny, I haven't grown honeysuckle...not a vine I know a lot about. Are European honeysuckles typically invasive? Gardening space in The Netherlands is usually pretty limited, so I would think they would disdain invasive vines. BTW, it's an interesting country for a gardener to visit.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

March 13 2011, 2:58 PM 

It probably isn't invasive in the Netherlands but it could be here but I am not sure. We all know that Japanese honeysuckle is invasive here and there are a few others that I read are invasive also. Their native habitats are in colder climates such as some parts of Asia, Canada and Alaska
The shrub honeysuckles, Lonicera morrowii, or Morrows honeysuckle
Lonicera maackii commonly called Amur honeysuckle
Lonicera standishii
Lonicera tartarica

The ones that are native honeysuckles that grow in the lower 48 are very easy to grow once they become establishe and not invasive

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

March 13 2011, 4:32 PM 

Joni,

I grow Lonicera periclymenum Serotina - Late Dutch honeysuckle. It blooms mid spring to early summer. I've had it for at least 3 years and it has not shown up in any other parts of the garden. The hummers love it, no mildew problems and aphids that attached the honeysuckle on the right side (name escapes me), left Late Dutch alone. It sets berries in fall. Late Dutch is the first pic and on the left in the second pic. I took these pics 6/10/10

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login Pennytoo)

March 13 2011, 4:38 PM 

Thaqnks Pam for your input. It is good to know that yours is well behaved.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 13 2011, 4:39 PM 

The is funny, I have one growing with the coral honeysuckle Alabama Crimson and the hummingbird doen't touch the periclymenum. Every spring I think of cutting it out because it is a stronger grower than its native mate and then I remember how pretty it is. A closer watch will be kept for hummer usage this year.

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

March 13 2011, 5:05 PM 

Ward,

What is the bloom time on your periclymenum? Here you go, Keeping me honest!!

Photobucket

[linked image]

This pic was taken the 8/9/09, first one I could find in my photo library. Maybe it does bloom mid-summer, I remember it was done blooming way before my other honeysuckles.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 13 2011, 5:15 PM 

Mid summer seems about right. It is amazing after watching flower for years that that is the best I can do. Probably none of my friends is surprised.

(Login Pennytoo)

March 13 2011, 9:30 PM 

The color of the blooms in Pam's photo looks a lot like Gold flame
I have never seen Lonicera periclymenum offered for sale up here but that is no surprise since I can't even find coral honeysuckle for sale here. Once I found a small Coral Honeysuckle about 3 yrs ago and it was $16 or $18 but never saw them again. Thank God for mail order.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

March 13 2011, 10:38 PM 

Penny,
I have heard of most of the invasives you listed. I wasn't sure about this as my Garden Center also has a japonica & I have suggested they consider stopping.

Pam,
Your's looks very nice. It greatly resembles 'Goldflame' which is why I asked about this one.

Patrick,
I visited Holland some years ago in the Spring & the flowers, especially bulbs, were fantastic! The flower carts on the streets & Keukenhof Gardens was in full bloom!!!

Thanks all for the comments.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

(Login Celtguy)
Brugmansia Moderator - Emeritus

March 13 2011, 11:51 PM 

Joni, I did Kuekenhof, too...amazing! It's replanted every Fall with at least 5 million bulbs.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

March 14 2011, 2:19 PM 

Penny,

Yes it is similar, but Late Dutch blooms start out a bit darker, more purplish/red than pink like GF. Mine doesn't bloom as many times as goldflame and sets berry's in fall. Goldflame doesn't do that. My tag said to plant in part shade which I did. It get part afternoon sun, maybe that is why it doesn't bloom as long. Nursery tag said June to Sept, but we know about nursery tags....

The fact that it didn't mildew and was aphid resistant is HUGE especially considering the honeysuckle on the right did get attacked by aphids.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login Pennytoo)

March 14 2011, 2:25 PM 

Thanks for the additional info Pam. Yes being mildew and aphid resistant is definitely a big plus!

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Current Topic - Lonicera periclymenum 'Belgica'  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005