<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Orphaned Baby Hummingbird

April 2 2011 at 3:39 PM
karinNJ  (no login)

Hi, everybody! I watch the hummingbird nest cams on Ustream. Two days ago, an 'orphaned' baby was added to a nest with 2 babies in it. I believe the two original babies are 8 and 7 days old, now. The 'orphaned' baby might be about 2, or 3, days younger. So far, everything looks fine. I think there is a 'Rehabber' monitoring the 'cam'. Rehabber suggested adding this new baby to nest. Also, Rehabber thinks the new baby may be an 'Annas'. Mom and her two babies are 'Allens'. I was wondering if anybody here has had any experience with this. Should another nest be put close-by, to accommodate the new baby orphan? The name of the Ustream show is "ourhummingbird nestcam".

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Orphaned Baby Hummingbird

April 2 2011, 4:00 PM 

This uis Phoebe's second nesting this year. If the orphaned baby was put in with the other two it is probably because she would have a better chance of being fed by Phoebe. If the baby was in another nest Phoebe would probably ignore it. It has been a week since i have checked the video myself...those babies have grown fast!

I watched through two feedings and only two babies were fed. I don't know where that third one is hiding.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

April 2 2011, 4:37 PM 

Thanks for posting about that, Karin! I was meaning to the other day but it had slipped my mind!

This is "Emma's" nest in the candelabra in California (a few miles away from Phoebe)...
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ourhummingbirdnest-com

I think she's an Annas as well because she doesn't have any of the brown markings of an Allens. I will be verrrrrrrry curious to see how this plays out. I can't imagine there being enough room for the 3 chicks as they get older and bigger! I wonder if the rehabbers will step back in at that point. Thank heavens Emma didn't reject the poor little baby! I understand a neighbor cut the other nest down by mistake while trimming bushes! A warning for all of us to be careful this Spring!

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 2 2011, 4:39 PM 

I'd be curious to know what Connie thinks of this kind of surrogacy. Has it been practiced successfully before? I have no rehab experience. However, every nest [maybe 5] I've known [none from first-hand experience] about that held more than 2 young failed. I heard of two that failed when the nest burst from the pressure of 3 rambunctious nestlings. In these cases [in the wild], all the young perished when they lost their nest prematurely and were forced to 'fledge' before they were mature enough. I would also be concerned that the female would face an extraordinary burden trying to supply sufficient protein to 3 young plus herself. Also, if the female is not still brooding her own 2 young, would she automatically brood the extra youngster? I'd be interested to know how this works out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
[linked image]

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 2 2011, 4:40 PM 

Can't be to comfy with 3 heads knocking you off the nest. Females rock!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

karinNJ
(no login)

Orphaned Baby Hummingbird

April 2 2011, 6:24 PM 

Thank you for the replies. I have been following Phoebe, since 2007. Her 2 newest babies are about to fledge any minute now.

Emma looks different than Phoebe, to me. She has a lot of white feathers above her eyes. But, the host says Emma is an Allens, too. They said that Emma did not sleep in nest last night with the 3 babies. I've, always, seen the Mom spend the night with babies, at least 'til they were 9, or 10 days old. I thought that was curious. Just wondering if the nest is already too full for Mom.

I believe the host and Rehabber tried to find 'documentation' concerning this predictament, but couldn't find any information, anywhere. I, really, don't see how Emma is going to be able to tend to all 3 babies. Hopefully, the Rehabber will be able to 'tend to' Baby Hope when she is a little older, before she grows too big for the nest.

There is a photo of the orphan baby in the host's hand (when they first brought him home). So tiny - it's amazing. This is the third day for new baby in nest. At first, hosts thought baby wasn't going to make it. Baby seems to be doing very well. I can only hope for the best, for Emma and Babies. I guess only time will tell.

(Premier Login bob2aa)
Forum Owner

Hi Kris

April 2 2011, 6:50 PM 

See this FAQ for help with staying logged-in:

http://tinyurl.com/a88ur

-
Cheers,Bob

KF47 - USA
[linked image]

(Login LindaSkyview)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 2 2011, 7:27 PM 

Amazing! I was watching Phoebe's nest today, and didn't happen to look at Emma's, so didn't know about this unusual development. The site owner has a really nice page where she writes more details about how the new baby, Hope, was found, what the rehabber suggested, and how they're doing right now. Also has a nice story about the host's grandmother and how this nest came to be.

Visit:http://ourhummingbirdnest.shutterfly.com/

LindaSkyview
Western NC mountains
Zone 6b - Sunset Zone 36 - Heat Zone 4,5,6
[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

April 2 2011, 8:21 PM 

I tried using the finding the link from what Karin originally posted but I ended up with Phoebe's webcam and I thought that was what she was referring to ...sorry Karin. I just now saw Emma's nest from the link that Linda posted. OK now I have two nests to keep and eye on.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login ConnieSale)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 2 2011, 9:24 PM 

I just read this post and learned about this situation.

This will indeed be interesting, since I personally don't know anyone that has ever had the opportunity to even try hummingbird nest surrogacy before. The fact that this is all on live camera is a blessing for three reasons (1) we can see how the mother and "siblings" respond to the new baby and vice versa (2) we can see if mom is able to handle the extra burden (3) monitoring the nest so closely will allow the the local rehabber to determine if and when intervention is needed.

The up side in this surrogacy approach, is that mom doesn't appear to have rejected the baby and there is nothing better than mother's "crop milk" (for lack of a better term) for such a young hatchling. Mom can not only give them the proper nutrition, but she imparts probiotics, crop enzymes, and antibodies (kind of like colostrum in babies) that are so needed at that critical stage. The down side is that, as Nancy suggests, overcrowding could become an issue and mom might not be able to handle the load, putting the entire nest at risk. There is a reason that there are usually only two eggs laid per nest.

Insertion of nestlings into surrogate nests is often done successfully with songbirds. In fact, there are rehabber and backyard bird-watcher groups that work closely together to keep a running list of what's nesting in who's yard and the approximate age of the chicks; so that when orphans come in to rehab of the same age and species, they can attempt re-nesting with a surrogate, and, as long as the nest isn't overcrowded, it often works fine. The instinct to feed a gaping mouth is very strong in most birds.

Nevertheless, I would be monitoring this situation closely and if possible, checking to make sure that all crops are full, observe that all the chicks are pooping normally and rigorously, and they are all developing normally (strong "gape" reflex, developing pins, growing, etc). I've been watching for the past hour and so far mom doesn't appear to be stressed out (at least yet anyway), and she is feeding and brooding them. If I saw anything abnormal or signs of distress, either with mom or the chicks, I would remove the new one and raise it in rehab. Hummingbird nestlings can be successfully raised by a rehabber in captivity. As with songbirds, the hatchling stage is more challenging and sometimes tenuous, so the older the nestling the better for the rehabber and the nestling, if it becomes necessary to bring into rehab.

Along with many others, I'll be watching this nest with both intrigue and concern and definitely will contact the host if I see anything that I think needs immediate attention. So glad this post was made to this list!

Connie

Connie & Wilton Sale
Chesapeake, VA 23322
State and Federal Permits
WildLife Response, Inc.
NWRA, IWRC
Hummingbirds and Songbirds
humnchirp@verizon.net
http://www.wildliferesponse.org/

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 2 2011, 9:51 PM 

I was reading the hummer cam chat and I think they said they will leave the orphan in the nest with the other two for now and then at some point move it to the other nest(they attached the orphan's own nest to the branch right next to the new one) and hope the mother continues feeding all three of them and alternates sitting on the two nests.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login Pennytoo)

April 2 2011, 11:09 PM 

So glad to see so much concern for this little 'adoptee'. I think that Hope will indeed have to be moved at some point. I can't even conceive of three in that nest as they get bigger. There is barely room for two once they are filled out and close to fledging.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 3 2011, 9:53 AM 

I see a second nest has been added. Time will tell.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login Pennytoo)

April 3 2011, 10:43 AM 

I wonder how she will keep all of them warm having to sit on both nests

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 3 2011, 11:48 AM 

looks like they moved 3rd baby over to other nest. I was wrong, it was a stick not a beak. All 3 are snuggled together.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

Diane
(Login CALadyDi)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Hi all! I'm the "host" of the hummer nest with orphan!

April 3 2011, 12:09 PM 

Good morning everybirdy from Southern California! I'm Diane!

I am thrilled to know that "jerseytweeter" (karinNJ) started this thread! I am the "host" of this nest with little baby Hope, an orphan, in it!

It's been a crazy, unexpected turn of events here, and so far we have been blessed with miraculous results!

I want to make sure everyone understands that I'm in direct contact all day long (and sometimes at night) with an amazing, awesome, very experienced rehabber in my area. I would love to hear any suggestions/ideas you all have as well, though! I believe the best results from situations like this are derived from gathering many idea and opinions and sharing them. For this reason, I'm thrilled to see this thread!

Today, our "Forrest" is 8 days old, "Iris", 7 days, and we guess "Hope" to be 6 days old. All are doing VERY well and Emma is feeding all three with ease. There is an ample supply of sugar water within 20 feet of her nest as well as fruit flies from all the rotten fruit I've placed in a dish near her feeder. (Who'd ever guess I'd TRY to raise fruit flies???

In case you haven't seen our live stream of this nest, you can check it out at: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ourhummingbirdnest-com

Also, for more info about the nest, FAQ, and new orphan "Hope", please visit www.ourhummingbirdnest.shutterfly.com.

I post most pics on Emma's Facebook page (and she loves new friends) at: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=131758716840583

Blessings,
Diane
www.ourhummingbirdnest.com

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 3 2011, 12:42 PM 

Hi Dianne! Glad to see your post over here. We all love hummingbirds and are probably glued to you cam! Come back often and join our group![linked image]

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

Connie Sale
(Login ConnieSale)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 3 2011, 12:56 PM 

Hi Diane!

I am so glad you have joined us to keep us up to date with your nesting hummers! I agree that so far everything seems to be going just fine. Successful surrogacy is extremely interesting to me as a hummingbird rehabber, so I'll be watching closely. I know you have some really great hummingbird rehabbers in your area; I may even know who you are working with. I see you've added a what looks like a strip of carpeting around the rim of both nests (baby bumpers), and mom doesn't seem to mind the addition. I would watch to make sure Emma doesn't catch a toenail if there are any loops (if there are you might want to cut them) in that material. I just watched Emma zoom in and settle in to her nest like like a pro. She is a remarkable mom, and I think this entire effort is amazing.

Pam,

I don't think Hope has been moved to the new nest, that can't be done until she is able to thermoregulate. I think what we're seeing in Hope's nest is some nesting material that is sticking up and looks like a beak.

Connie

Connie & Wilton Sale
Chesapeake, VA 23322
WildLife Response, Inc.
NWRA, IWRC
humnchirp@verizon.net

(Login Pennytoo)

April 3 2011, 1:45 PM 

Diane
Welcom to our 'little' family. We have members spanning across the continental US as well as Canada and Central America so your little Emma has quite an audience. I was concerned that Emma wouldn't feed the baby in the second nest but then realized she is still too young to be moved and put on her own. I have have a second window open whenever I am online so I can watch the prograss as I do for Phoebe. These live streams are just awsome for those of us especially on the east coast and northern states. Something we are unlikely to see first hand.

Don't be a stranger and come back often.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Suchie
(Login Suchiek)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 3 2011, 6:16 PM 

I saw the nest yesterday and it looked like a typical hummer nest. Has something been built around it to prevent it from breaking?

Suchie

(Login Pennytoo)

April 3 2011, 6:51 PM 

suchie yes there is what appears to be a piece of rug or chenille around the one nest as well as the second that has been added to put little Hope into when she is bigger and the one nest gets too crowded. It will hold the two nests together more like a single nest. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ourhummingbirdnest-com

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 3 2011, 7:06 PM 

Penny,

Its just a 1/2 inch piece of white cotton towel. The cam is so close the terri clothe is magnified I think. I have to walk away, it just too addicting. I have camera's in 2 nestboxes in my yard. They are addicting to watch during nesting season.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

Suchie
(Login Suchiek)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 3 2011, 7:28 PM 

Penny,

Thanks for clarifying.

Suchie

Diane
(Login CALadyDi)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Thank you!

April 4 2011, 11:04 AM 

What a warm welcome! Thanks!
Just wanted to give you an update - we changed the "sling" material this morning on the advice of my rehabber - we were concerned that the little baby toenails might get caught in the loops of the cotton towel that was there before. I also noticed that one or more of you suggested the same thing.

Again, I can't tell you what a comfort it is to have you all here, watching, and willing to help. I care about these three babies and Emma SO much and want to make sure I'm doing everything I can toward three successful fledges!

Thank you again, to all of you... please keep the good thoughts going! We can sure use them!

xo-Diane

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 4 2011, 11:27 AM 

Diane,

Do I see a cover on you arbor to keep the nest dry? That would certainly be an issue with a receiving blanket instead of natural nest materials. The nest is obviously cute, but camouflaging the nest is important to keep predators away. I know this nest is being watched daily (by thousands), but nighttime is factor. I'm sure your rehabber has all this in mind, but if your asking for suggestions that would be mine.

Another thought is I see you have nesting House Wrens in your yard. Or did in the past (the pics on facebook). House Wrens are notorious for attacking other birds nests. They take the eggs out and have been know to remove young nestlings from nests larger than hummingbirds. I learned this from having a Bluebird trail and reading everything about bluebirds online. I would be concerned about the HOWR, if that is what those wren are.

I love watching Emma's nesting and don't want to see anything happen to them and I know you feel the same way. That would be devastating. Best of Luck!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

Diane
(Login CALadyDi)
Hummingbird lover 2011

April 4 2011, 11:57 AM 

Hi Pam!

Thanks for writing! Those pictures of the nesting wrens is old - in fact I stopped all other bird feeding in the entire yard when Emma started building. I realized having anyone else here was not good, for many reasons.

I'll look into changing fabric strip - who knows, I may need to go fabric shopping just for Emma! Although, keep in mind, this is a 1/2" strip of cloth only. It appears large on screen but is truly just a thin sliver of my little girl's receiving blanket that I cut.

I am SO THRILLED to see all three babies doing so well today! What a blessing!

xo-Di

(Login Pennytoo)

April 4 2011, 12:11 PM 

I am a bit concerned about these nestlings. I think there might be too much human interaction because Emma doesn't come to feed them nearly as often as other hummer moms feed theirs. Evewn Phoebe is feeding her two that are ready to leave the nest more often. Maybe I am just being too much of a worry wart
Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login WG1966)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Orphan

April 6 2011, 12:29 AM 

I too share your concern regarding the welfare of all three birds in this nest. I have watched and noticed that when Emma does come to feed - she is not feeding as much as hummers usually feed their young and the amount of time it is taking her between feedings is of further concern for two reasons - 1) it is taking her longer to find enough food for all three chicks and 2) she is not allowing enough time for her to get the proper amount of nurishment and rest for herself. Hopefully there is a rehabber watching closely enough to make this call and provide for a positive result for all four birds. The hummingbird is a fragile species and should not be tampered with and if there is anything humans can to do save even one of their lives, it should be done.

I, too, have noticed that Phoebe is feeding her chicks still on a 20 to 30 minute timeframe and as has been noted, Emma is not. I will continue to monitor and post if I become any more alarmed.

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 7 2011, 9:11 AM 

I understand that the most natural way to see if the nestlings are eating enough is to observe how much poop is surrounding the nest. At one point there was plenty, now I think it is either being removed or they are not feeding as much. I do not monitor the webcam closely, so I'm not sure which of the two is prevalent. I would not be surprised if the mother is wiped out. We all know she does the child raising job on her own with no help from the inseminator (I could barely call him a mate). [linked image]

Has Diane been back to update us? ? ?

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login Pennytoo)

April 7 2011, 9:26 AM 

No she hasn't Pam. As of Wednesday evening, Connie told me everything looked good.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

April 7 2011, 12:37 PM 

Hope doesn't appear to be getting as much food as the other two today. A couple of times she was passed over completely. It seems that Forest is getting the feed more and longer. Hope is just gettings a very small amount.

SInce posting, Emma did come back and fed all three this time. Maybe Hope just wasn't as hungry as the other two.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

April 7 2011, 5:25 PM 

I just saw her feed all 3 about 5 minutes ago. Seemed to be pretty equal. BTW, [linked image], Diane.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

April 7 2011, 5:39 PM 

She just fed the one on the right & back for quite awhile. Lefty is sleeping I think. Didn't even try to eat.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

April 12 2011, 9:56 PM 

I'm bumping this up so I don't have to go find it. Man, are they getting big fast!! All in a row!

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

April 15 2011, 1:25 PM 

The chicks are getting big and ridiculously cute at this point! :D They all look nice and healthy too! YAY!

By the looks of things it appears that Momma Emma and her chick are Annas. "Hope" might either be an Allens or a Rufous. I'm just not sure which yet.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ourhummingbirdnest-com

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 15 2011, 1:47 PM 

Caro,

Rufous do not nest in southern California, so if the chick is one or the other, then Allen's would be the probable ID.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

April 15 2011, 3:15 PM 

You can definitely see that there is a difference between Emma's own and the adopted Emma.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

April 15 2011, 6:37 PM 

Thanks Nancy! I didn't know that! happy.gif

Penny - I agree! Emma's chicks are green and Hope is clearly brown in color.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b

(Login Sundodger)
Hummingbirders 2010

April 16 2011, 11:09 AM 

Anyone that has been watching this....there is supposed to be a rehab person showing up at the nest in about three hours, 1PM CDT. Should be interesting since she didn't have much of a chance to begin with with this bird. Looks to have done a wonderful job. Hope others will learn from this.

Click for Green Bay, Wisconsin Forecast

(Login Pennytoo)

April 16 2011, 11:56 AM 

Thanks for the heads up Pete. I have been wondering where the rehabber was and if he or she has been monitoring the nest.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

April 16 2011, 12:45 PM 

These babies are so active & on the edge of the nest that someone's going to get kicked off. They were trying to preen in the close quarters. Mom's been there twice in 15 minutes. God, how quick they've grown.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

April 16 2011, 12:55 PM 

It is amazing how much they have grown in the past couple of days. Joni there are two nest made into one so there should be enough room for the three of them.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 16 2011, 2:05 PM 

What Happened? The camera is on the patio table, not the nest?? [linked image]

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login Pennytoo)

April 16 2011, 2:12 PM 

the rehabber is there now http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ourhummingbirdnest-com

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

April 16 2011, 5:24 PM 

Oh Darnit! I missed that! Did anyone here get to hear the rehabber's assessment?

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b

(Login Pennytoo)

April 16 2011, 6:25 PM 

I was able to watch for a while. The last I heard a definite id on Hope's species was too soon to determine. They all appeared to be healthy and doing well and Emma was feeding them all well. I checked in a few minutes ago and I believe it was Forest who was perched on the edge of the nest like he was ready to take off. He is stomping all over the other two even sitting on Hope from time to time. He is just huge compared to the other two and he is a real piggy too wanting all the food to himself LOL!

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

April 16 2011, 9:07 PM 

Caro..I watched it all & you didn't miss a whole lot. Diane was on her laptop with people asking her questions to ask the rehabber & they were in general about Hummers for the most part & not hers in particular. She did climb the ladder to look at them & they are all doing well. Diane's husband did come home towards the end & was pretty funny. Hope is his baby & he made a comment that Diane is out & Hope is in! Guess she was lifeless when he found her & they nursed her back. He's very proud.

Penny...I knew about the double nests but the way they were flitting & moving around today, one could have easily fell or gotten knocked out. Very, very active & antsy. I expect they will be gone very soon.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

April 16 2011, 9:11 PM 

Joni
Forest has been testing his wings on the edge of the nest off and on all day when I have had a chance to watch. He is up there on the edge right now. He is One Huge baby....Baby Huey!

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

April 16 2011, 9:19 PM 

I did read this eveing on the chat that they are pretty sure that Hope is an Allen's or has Allen's parentage.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

April 17 2011, 12:33 PM 

Dianne has changed her title to "Fledge Alert". They are out & sitting on the rim.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

(Login alkerry1)
Hummingbird lover 2011

April 17 2011, 1:37 PM 

I love the little home made nest.[linked image]

I love Hummingbirds
(Login CALadyDi)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Almost time for these three sweet miracles to venture off...

April 17 2011, 3:16 PM 

As we near the fledge of these three beautiful babies, I'd like to thank all of you who have been part of this amazing journey... Thank you for your friendship, and for caring about these sweet little babies I sometimes like to call "mine" even though I know they belong to ALL of us. I appreciate each and every one of you more than you'll ever know. You've each brought something special and unique to our wonderful room. We're more than just a "Ustream room". At least for me, we are.

This has been an amazing place of sharing, caring and miracles.

To Forrest, Iris and my sweet orphan baby Hope: Before you leave me, I want to wish you a long, productive, wonderful , safe, joyous life. Please create happiness and special miracles for others, won't you? I love all three of you so much, and will miss you...

Come back soon, Emma...

(Login Pennytoo)

April 18 2011, 12:00 PM 

diane doesn't have the lens zoomed into the nest now. It is further the view is further back so you can see the chandelier and how the nest is situated. The babies are all lined up around the nest rim. It is very obvious that Hope is a different species. We are supposed to reach 40 today but it is already noon and the temps are still 34 degrees.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Michelle
(Login voodoobrew)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 18 2011, 1:42 PM 

I'm not a professional birder, but Hope sure does look like an Allen's, to me. UCSC arboretum has a large population of Allen's, and I've also seen them at UCB Botanical, and at Strybing arboretum.

Diane was just playing some Italian music for them - lovely!

I believe the female Anna's in my yard is nesting, but I still haven't found the nest. She gets very irate when I come near the butterfly bushes and Ceanothus tree...

I have given her more potted nectar plants, stolen from my alpha male's territory. [linked image]

Bay Area, CA

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 19 2011, 3:03 PM 

Forest just fledged

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login Pennytoo)

April 19 2011, 3:15 PM 

OH NO I missed it! just by a couple of minutes

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

April 19 2011, 4:00 PM 

Iris just left a few minutes ago. Hope is all alone.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

April 19 2011, 4:28 PM 

Hope fledged just as the cam fell over, so no one had gotten to see it. The cam owner said that she joined Forrest on the roof of their patio. Looked like Momma bird has been following them and feeding them. I think she's trying to get them all in the same spot now.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 19 2011, 4:35 PM 

yes, I think the camera getting knocked over scared the youngest one out of the nest. BTW, I think the cam broke. I've been checking it out about once a day. I lucked out tuning in about 3pm and saw Forrest sitting outside the nest. And than fledge.

I heard DI say he was nectaring on Birds of paradise, anyone ever grow those?

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login Pennytoo)

April 19 2011, 4:55 PM 

someone mentioned Birds of Paradise last year but can't recall who it was
I did a search on the forum here and Priya mentioned seeing Annas feed from it in S. Cal. and Farmer Steve has it and says that the Annas at his place do use it but it isn't a favorite.
Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 19 2011, 9:01 PM 

I surely am pleased that this story had a happy ending.

I have seen hummers use Bird of Paradise in California, but here in Louisiana, it gets little or no traffic. A neighbor has one. I could find better use for the space.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
[linked image]

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

April 20 2011, 1:41 PM 

Has anyone checked the cam today? Have the babies been spotted? I'm sure they'll be hanging out for a few days as Momma teaches them what they need to know.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b

Diane
(Login CALadyDi)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Hi again! Progress report!

April 22 2011, 8:18 PM 

Three successful fledges! And I'm seeing the babies at the feeder now!

Wow... what a journey that was!

I'd really like to start sharing the information I collected about this surrogacy/fostering with the right places. Any suggestions?

Thanks again to everyone for being there!

Diane

(Login Pennytoo)

April 22 2011, 8:52 PM 

Perhaps Monique will have some suggestions for you. Not ever having a hummer nesting in my yard I wouldn't be any help

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Becky
(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 23 2011, 9:08 AM 

What a thrill! I love happy endings! This study may be a lifesaver for future orphans. Such a wonderful "experiment"! My hat is off to the rehabber who decided to try this to save Hope![linked image]

~Becky~

Click for Sebastian, Florida Forecast

(Login ConnieSale)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 23 2011, 8:27 PM 

As a hummingbird rehabber, I can't tell you how delighted I am that this surrogacy worked out so well! I closely watched Emma's nest daily for any signs of rejection or distress. There wasn't any. Life went on as usual for Emma and the three nestlings. Their growth and development was completely normal. Emma seemed to manage her additional duties quite well.

It certainly gives me encouragement to try this as an option if the opportunity ever presents itself (orphaned nestling and the exceedingly good luck to have access to an active and fully-observable nest with siblings of about the same age). Although I've successfully raised my share of orphaned nestling hummingbirds over the years, there is nothing like a real hummer mom to do the job of raising these guys. happy.gif

I am in contact with avian and hummingbird rehabbers from all over the country and will certainly pass this incredible and successful surrogacy story along.

Connie

Connie & Wilton Sale
Chesapeake, VA 23322
WildLife Response, Inc.
NWRA, IWRC
humnchirp@verizon.net

Current Topic - Orphaned Baby Hummingbird  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005