<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Agastache Acapulco Yellow and Pink

April 17 2011 at 11:09 AM
Suchie  (Login Suchiek)
Hummingbirder 2008

Found this at our local nursery and it looks really exciting. I could not find much info. on it on the web. Has anyone grown this before?

Suchie

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Agastache Acapulco Yellow and Pink

April 17 2011, 11:32 AM 

Suchie
I had one that was labeled Acapulco yellow and pink last year.
The flowers were very very pale and completely ignored although I will admit it was dwarfed by 3 salvias. It looked like it was going to come back as it was all green around the crown and then all the green disappeared like overnight. Not a big loss as far as I am concerned. Not sure if is the same one that you found that is why I described the flowers being so pale on mine.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

April 17 2011, 12:38 PM 

I have seen White & Pink but not Yellow & Pink. Any of these in the Acapulco series do well for me in pots. My local place always had Rose and Orange (not together) the previous years. Last year only saw Orange & the Yellow & White. When I just went to the open house, only saw Salmon & Pink & Red. One of those I bought early isn't doing well but for $2.49 a pot, I won't cry & will get more Fri. when we go to get most of our plants. (It better warm up!!!).

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

Suchie
(Login Suchiek)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 18 2011, 6:49 AM 

Penny, Joni, thanks for getting back to me.

The one that was blooming in the nursery appeared to have pink and yellow blooms on the same plant, but perhaps it could get washed out in the hot sun. I also saw some sites list it as zone 5 hardy, so it may still return for you Penny.

Some agastaches get carried away during any fall, or winter warming by putting out a lot of new growth. Those seem to die out, or are atleast slow starters the following year.

Suchie

(Login Pennytoo)

April 18 2011, 7:14 AM 

Suchie
I can't remember for sure if each flower was shades of pink and yellow or if some were yellow and some pink. But was was disappointed that it was so washed out looking. Mine was in full sun until about 1:00 in the afternoon. If it doesn't return I won't be getting another one.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Jeff in WA
(Login kozmajm)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 18 2011, 12:09 PM 

I grew Agastache 'Acapulco Salmon and Pink' for quite a few years, however the plants were not long-lived compared to other Agastaches such as 'Desert Sunrise', A. cana 'Rosita', A. rupestris etc. The plants would bloom tremendously the second year after planting with a huge flush of flowers and in bloom for months (see pic below). They were eagerly visited by Calliope and Rufous hummers in my yard. However, by the third spring, the plants would only send a few shoots up to then eventually die. So, I no longer get the Acapulco hybrids and stick with other varieties...no sense having to replace plants every three years. Others may have better luck. I live in zone6b with on average 10-14 inches of rain annually. (Rain shadow of the Cascades).

front_garden_agastache.jpg

Jeff in WA

Suchie
(Login Suchiek)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 18 2011, 2:59 PM 

Jeff,

That is one beautiful plant. I have Salmon and Pink in my yard and it has been coming back the last two years. Last summer, the show was really spectacular. I am hoping it does not fade out this year.

Suchie

(Login Pennytoo)

May 8 2011, 5:22 PM 

AHA! I found the tag deep in the soil while I was clearing away the leaves from winter. It does have a few small leaves coming up from the crown right now and it is Acapulco yellow and pink. I may move it out a bit away from the wall so that it is more visible and see if it does any better than it did last year and maybe get some use if any hummers show up this year.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

March 18 2012, 8:27 PM 

I almost started a new thread but then I recalledf Suchie starting this thread last year. Mine has returned for the second year. I cleaned all the leaves that had collected around it today and it is already close to a foot tall. It really needs to be moved out a bit but it is doing so well I really hate to disturb it. It is already bigger than it was the first year I purchased and planted it and much bushier than it ever got last year. Maybe this will be a good year for it.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

March 18 2012, 10:18 PM 

I think Ken bought Ag yellow and pink from MFF last season. I did not.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

Suchie
(Login Suchiek)
Hummingbirder 2008

March 19 2012, 6:27 AM 

Penny,

Mine is coming back too, but not any where close to being as vigorous as yours. It was not successful in my yard last year. Sprawled a lot and bloomed sparsely.

Suchie

(Login Pennytoo)

March 19 2012, 8:20 AM 

Suchie,
It sounds like your results last year were similar to mine. I am anxious to see how it does this year. If it blooms well I will let it stick, around if it just takes up space, it will be its last year.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login kozmajm)
Hummingbirder 2008

March 19 2012, 1:07 PM 

I will be interested to see how your's does. Mine came back strong the second-year and bloomed beautifully and loaded with flowers. The third year they seem to peater out and either die or hang on for the third year (scraggly) and die the fourth. I hope you have better luck with your Acapulco types than I did.

Jeff

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 19 2012, 1:43 PM 

Some Agastaches do appear to be short lived. For ones that are particularly valued spring cuttings can be made. Most Agastaches root fairly easily and quickly in spring once it has warmed up. The new rooted plants can be ready by late June, plenty of time to establish hardiness for the winter. Then again one can just go out and buy replacements.

I am itching to take a few cuttings. There are a couple of really healthy Agastaches out there that act like upright rupestris, straight and tall and orange.

(Login Pennytoo)

March 19 2012, 3:26 PM 

It appears that all of the little A. rupestris crosses that popped up last year from seed that fell have returned. They may have crossed with Tutti Frutti but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway the leaves smell like rupestris but the leaves are not at all rupestris and are more like tutti Frutti. They also start leafing out and growing in the spring faster than rupestris. I have at least 4 or 5 young plants that I will be digging up and spreading out in the bed so that they have room to grow.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 19 2012, 3:32 PM 

They sound great, I love that Sassafras smell and check all the seedlings for it but so far no luck.

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 20 2012, 9:21 PM 

You have a great memory Pam!

Mine did not do that great last year. It is coming back this year, though not anything like yours Penny. I just have a few leaves at the base at this point.

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:C)

(Login Pennytoo)

March 20 2012, 11:22 PM 

Ken,
Mine didn't do as well the second year but this year (year 3), it has already surpassed what it did all last year.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

March 23 2012, 12:10 AM 

I normally plant Acapulcos in pots but I put 'Salmon & Pink' in the ground last year & they both have returned & have a nice little mound going on. 'Heatwave' was sold as an annual last year & that also came back. Zone 6 'Shades of Orange' is back for the 3rd year in my Zone 5 yard so we'll see what kind of show happens with that one this year. Here's pix from last year almost being dwarfed by Nicotiana langsdorfii:

Well tried to post the pix but Photobucket acting up I guess.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

Current Topic - Agastache Acapulco Yellow and Pink  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005