<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

My Hummingbirds don't return to my feeder

May 17 2011 at 5:52 PM
  (Login vyju.bharath)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Hi,

I happened to take a peek in this forum when I was searching about hummingbirds. They used to feed through my feeder so well. I filled my feeder with sugar water and I had to refill every 15 days. But now they don't seem to be coming. I am sure they have not migrated because there is a nest of a hummingbird right close to my backyard. So I see them fly but they don't seem to come to my feeder. There was a sparrow that came and started to drink from the same feeder a month back. I am not sure if the hummingbird din't like the sparrows coming and feeding in these feeders. But the hummer don't come anymore. Can anyone suggest a solution? Is there a way to bring back my hummingbirds? The sparrows don't seem to come either these days. I feel bad for the hummingbird. It used to be so much fun watching them all the time and now I feel I lost their company. Can anyone help me with this?

I live in San Diego, California.

Thanks
VJ

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Premier Login bob2aa)
Forum Owner

Welcome VJ

May 17 2011, 6:27 PM 

[linked image]

Not sure why the hummingbirds are not returning to your feeder.I would suggest you change the sugar water more frequently;three to four days at the most,especially in warm weather;thoroughly clean the feeder with a bottle brush and hot water. If there is evidence of mold,use full strength white vinegar to clean the feeder,when rinse with a hot water and a brush.The Sparrow probably didn't have anything to do with hummers feeding. You might try buying a different feeder,to see if they re-attracts them.

See this article for more help:

http://www.hummingbirds.net/feeders.html

-
Cheers,Bob

KLEX - USA
Click for Lexington, Kentucky Forecast

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: My Hummingbirds don't return to my feeder

May 17 2011, 7:00 PM 

Welcome VJ
I agree with Bob, I think you need to thoroughly clean your feeder and refill with fresh sugar water and then change it ever 3 days. The nectar is probably fermenting and that is why the hummingbirds are not using it.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login NJKris)
Hummingbirders 2010

May 18 2011, 1:23 PM 

Refill every 15 days??? Wow, they probably took one sip and went "yuk"! Problem is, if your "regulars" got conditioned to know the nectar is bad, they may avoid it. After you give feeders a good cleaning and fresh fill them, I'd move their locations around so the hummers might view them as a "new source" intead of avoiding them as the same old tainted source. Even in this relatively cool weather in NJ, I've been flushing and refilling no more than 7 days later, sometimes sooner. In the midsummer, I'll have to change the nectar every 2 or 3 days to prevent spoilage, mold. Try this guide:

If the outside temperature stays below 70 degrees, changing your nectar once a week will be enough. Once the temp. climbs above 70 degrees you can use the chart below as a guide to how often you will need to change your nectar to keep it fresh and mold free.

High temperatures............Change nectar after

71-75.................................6 days

76-80.................................5 days

81-84.................................4 days

85-88.................................3 days

89-92.................................2 days

93+....................................change daily

(from howtoenjoyhummingbirds.com)

My weather station:

Califon.gif

(Login vyju.bharath)
Hummingbird lover 2011

May 18 2011, 4:49 PM 

Thanks All!!!

I changed the water after cleaning it well which I do when I refill. I also changed the place this time. I already saw one guy coming and tasting it. So I guess they will start to come again. Thanks for all your inputs happy.gif

VJ

(Login Pennytoo)

May 18 2011, 6:28 PM 

VJ,
Make sure you keep changing the nectar at least every 3 days when it is warm out or they will quit coming again.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

May 18 2011, 9:15 PM 

More often if it is in the '90's, especially if in the sun.

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:C)

(no login)

not seeing hummingbirds!

April 13 2012, 3:37 PM 

Want to get into The Hummingbird Forum.. How?

(Login Pennytoo)

April 13 2012, 4:08 PM 

Jan
Make sure you are logged in or else your post won't show up until it is approved.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Premier Login bob2aa)
Forum Owner

Hi Jan

April 13 2012, 9:07 PM 

[linked image]

As Penny said, please log-in (or stay logged-in) - Otherwise, your post must be approved before it will appear.

See this for help:

http://tinyurl.com/72bqrng

Cheers,Bob
KLEX - USA

Lexington.gif

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 13 2012, 11:30 PM 

VJ - Welcome to the forum!

When I read that you changed the water every 15 days, I knew right away why the hummers weren't using it! They do indeed remember bad nectar and won't touch a feeder in that location again. Good advice here by many others to move the cleaned out feeder.

I clean out and change the sugar water in my feeder every 3 days. And I only keep freshly made sugar-water for no more than 1 week (2 weeks maximum) in my refrigerator. I make new sugar water and throw out any that is left over after that time. I boil my sugar water which I think helps it stay good longer, but others here don't. The key to success using a feeder is fresh sugar water at all times! Good luck with your hummer visitors and success at your feeder!

This message has been edited by beckygardener on Apr 13, 2012 11:32 PM

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 14 2012, 12:01 PM 

vj

[linked image] It sounds as if you are waiting for hummers to empty your feeder before refilling. As many have said above that wont work with hummers and hot sun can spoil the mix quickly and they wont drink it. best to refresh and clean your mix every 2-3 days. Enjoy the forum.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 14 2012, 12:55 PM 

This topic was started a year ago. VJ is no longer around.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Find more about Weather in Cedar Rapids, IA
Click for weather forecast

(Login NJKris)
Hummingbirders 2010

April 20 2012, 3:27 PM 

Maybe he drank bad nectar.

My weather station:

Califon.gif

Current Topic - My Hummingbirds don't return to my feeder  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005