Blogger Tricks
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

The latest Hummer magnets here on the Pacific

June 9 2011 at 9:23 PM
  (Login kecarter)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Lots of furious activity the last few days - mostly Anna's but a few Black Chinned and Costas, and one Allens. So, here are the top five Salvias attracting these birds, in order of their level of attention:

Salvia gesneriifolia 'Tequila' - still in full bloom!
Salvia forsskaolii - a very close second
Salvia chiapensis
Salvia discolor
Salvia iodantha 'Louis Saso'

OK - I'll do #6. Surprisingly to me, it is Salvia urica. Salvia semiatrata starting to get more attention, as well as Salvia patens. I do believe the volume of flowers has something to do with the preference.

I'm going to put pictures on our Facebook site.

This is a fun time of year, but I want to go to sleep before its completely dark!

Kermit

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
On the Pacific Coast, USDA Zones 8 & 9

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Michelle
(Login voodoobrew)
Hummingbird lover 2009

Re: The latest Hummer magnets here on the Pacific

June 9 2011, 9:35 PM 

But Kermit, right before dark is when all the best territorial fighting happens! [linked image]

I've also got a few Anna's (+ fledglings) and an Allen's. Would love to see a Costa's!

I've been feeling more distressed at leaving these guys behind to move, but I will just plant more hummer flowers at the next place, and it's nearly an acre!

I agree that S. urica is a good one. I've also got the weird urica which is shaped like a bowl (can be seen on Robin's site).

Probably the most magnificent Salvia blooming now is S. interrupta... and yes, it's a hummingbird magnet.

Bay Area, CA

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

June 9 2011, 9:36 PM 

Crap. I bought 'Tequila' a while back & it was one of the only plants of several not planted yet that had died. Think it missed getting watered & then too much. Bummer.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

Michelle
(Login voodoobrew)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 12 2011, 1:57 PM 

This is by far the most popular hummer plant blooming now, even more than all the salvias! Grevillea 'Robyn Gordon'. I really love the flowers! The nectar supply must get quickly replenished, as it gets used all day long.

grobyngordon.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bay Area, CA

(Login SusanLouise)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 13 2011, 12:07 AM 

Hello Michelle,

A wonderful pic and plant! Too bad it's just a winter blooming plant [linked image]

Susan Louise
from Branford CT/ live in Lincoln NE
Zone 5
Lincoln.gif

This message has been edited by SusanLouise on Jun 13, 2011 12:09 AM

Michelle
(Login voodoobrew)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 13 2011, 12:20 AM 

That photo was taken yesterday. Not exactly winter. happy.gif Though, many Grevilleas DO bloom in winter. This one, for instance, which I absolutely loved:

grevillea.jpg

This photo was taken today!

humrgordon.jpg

Bay Area, CA

This message has been edited by voodoobrew on Jun 13, 2011 12:24 AM

(Login Celtguy)
Brugmansia Moderator - Emeritus

June 13 2011, 11:00 AM 

Michelle, how large do your Grevilleas become? Does the size vary much from one cultivar to another? Beautiful pics - thanks!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

The latest Hummer magnets here on the Pacific

June 13 2011, 1:44 PM 

Kermit,

Interesting that several of these salvias, which are supposed to be winter blooming, are blooming now. When we tried Salvia gesneriifolia 'Tequila' , it bloomed in February in our sunroom---not exactly a hummer magnet for our area! We have never tried Salvia Iodantha because it doesn't bloom at the right time of the year. Interesting!!

[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

(Login kecarter)
Hummingbird lover 2011

June 13 2011, 10:55 PM 

This year I have seen more out of season blooming than I recall. Salvia iodantha and purpurea just have not stopped since last fall, and now are increasing. And the giant Tequila! Generally they stop blooming for us in April or so. I had to cut down the wagneriana because it had grown over a path, or it would still be blooming. And the holwayi would be as well, if it had stayed in bounds. I'm sorry to say that I don't have any good theory as to why. It was the coldest Winter in several decades.

A real joy for us now is the Salvia plectranthoides, which we are enjoying very much. I'm going to plant a few patens around one of the plant, to get a big flower - little flower effect. I'll use Cambridge Blue - I'm thinking the colors will be very nice together.

Kermit

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California

(Login Carolmb)
Hummingbird Member 2006

The latest Hummer magnnets here on the Pacific

June 14 2011, 9:40 AM 

Kermit - I have to say that one of my very favorites is Salvia Chiapensis. I had several the last few years and they were a definite hummer magnet! I just realizied that I do not have one yet this year. Have to get shopping and hope my local nursery has some this year.

Michelle - those Gravellias are just gorgeous! Great pics.

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6
[linked image]

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 14 2011, 10:08 AM 

Carol, do you find chiapesis needs tons of food and water? After 5 or more years in a pot mine was stuck into the ground this year. It bloomed nicely in May, only lightly now but it looks like it will put on another show in a few weeks. I am glad you see hummingbird use because I haven't.

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 14 2011, 10:16 AM 

Ward,

I had Salvia chiapensis for years and rarely saw any hummer usage. It died out and was not replaced.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
[linked image]

(Login nalono)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 14 2011, 1:26 PM 

Beautiful shots of your grevilleas!

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 14 2011, 2:07 PM 

There is only so much room for tender plants on the porch. Maybe retaining oxyphora would be a better use of that precious space or perhaps the Wendy's Wish that is coming. A old friend did graduate work on bats in the mountains of Chiapas and the plant makes me think of his time there and that is not a good enough reason.

Elle
(Login Elle-MI)
Hummingbird lover 2011

June 14 2011, 2:25 PM 

Wow Michelle, a spectacular photos, nice compositions and colors.

Elle
Eastern Michigan
Zone 5

(Login kecarter)
Hummingbird lover 2011

June 14 2011, 2:47 PM 

My wife, Vikki, just loves Salvia chiapensis. So we have spent a good deal of time working with ways to get nice little plants to grow and bloom well for Farmers' Market sales, and to have strong plants that ship well. We grow them in about 50% shade, with heavier feeding than our "normal" and lots of water in a very well drained mix. So I would agree with the observation that they do best with good food and water.

We grow Salvia buchananii in a similar fashion, with a bit more light or it stretches.

Back to work,

Kermit

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California

(Login janselmo)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 14 2011, 3:01 PM 

Those Grevilleas are unbelievable! Nice photos!

Joan Garvey - Metairie, LA Zone 9

(Login Carolmb)
Hummingbird Member 2006

The Latest Hummer magnets here on the Pacific

June 14 2011, 4:38 PM 

Ward, Kermit answered about the care of Salvia Chiapensis and I totally agree. Mine did better in the garden - bushing out nicely, but I did have a hanging plant which was in sun for 4 hours a day and I was better able to see the hummer use this plant - which it did a lot.

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6
[linked image]

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 14 2011, 4:45 PM 

I've never made a place for hanging baskets, but it would be a good one if you can water it twice a day. Don't get me wrong, I like the plant. The flowers are vivid and leaves beautiful. Sometimes I think when compared to western hummingbirds like Anna's that Ruby-throateds are pick eaters. They are certainly well adapted to nectar scarcity.

This message has been edited by WardDa on Jun 14, 2011 4:47 PM

Michelle
(Login voodoobrew)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 14 2011, 5:01 PM 

I just watched an Allen's get chased off the S. chiapensis by the female Anna's who currently rules the roost around here, and seems to be churning out fledglings. The Allen's sure is a pretty hummer... like a cross between an Anna's and a Rufous.

Thanks for the photo compliments, guys. Not too many pictures being taken lately, as I've been working in the garden a lot sans camera. Still stressing out about our upcoming move.

Patrick, I have several Grevilleas, and the size does depend on the species. Most I'm keeping in pots (which restricts growth, I'm sure) as I want to take them with me. The deck is fairly overloaded now, as seen from this photo.

Hummer buffet:
deckbuffet.jpg

Here is the salvia I mentioned earlier in this thread, S. interrupta:
interruptahum.jpg

Another Grevillea, blooming now:
newgrevillea.jpg

I think most of you know this flower? happy.gif
lonicera.jpg

Bay Area, CA

This message has been edited by voodoobrew on Jun 14, 2011 5:10 PM

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 14 2011, 5:16 PM 

Gee, Michelle,

I thought my deck was overloaded! The Grevilleas have long tempted me, but a friend who hails from the Bay Area said she has tried many - without success - so I am sparing myself the grief.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
[linked image]

(Login JanaMontverdeFl)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 14 2011, 11:17 PM 

Can the Grevilleas be found thru mail order?
Jan [linked image]

Jana
Montverde,Florida
USDA zone 9

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Jun 26, 2011 4:55 AM

Suchie
(Login Suchiek)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 15 2011, 5:56 AM 

Michelle,

If the deck is that beautiful, I wonder what the yard looks like.

Keep the pictures coming.

Suchie

(Login voodoobrew)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 25 2011, 11:47 PM 

Jana, Grevilleas can be tough to find. I'm learning how to propagate them... Here is another shot of the 'Robyn Gordon' cultivar, which drips with nectar.

Thanks, Suchie. I'll try to take more photos... but we are currently in escrow to move. It's both a happy and sad thing.

grevhold.jpg

Bay Area, CA

(Login costaricafinca)
Hummingbird Member 2006

June 28 2011, 5:38 PM 

Beautiful shots Michelle!
I have only ever seen one Grevillea plant and I did want it ... but it was in someones garden [linked image]

(Login LindaSkyview)
Hummingbird Member 2006

June 28 2011, 6:35 PM 

Those Grevillea blooms are so wierd and wonderful, at the same time. Here's a very interesting article on many of the various types out there:
http://www.desertnorthwest.com/articles/grevilleas_revisited.html

LindaSkyview
Western NC mountains
Zone 6b - Sunset Zone 36 - Heat Zone 4,5,6
[linked image]

Current Topic - The latest Hummer magnets here on the Pacific  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Browse for your picture, Select and Open, Upload picture, Copy the "Shareable" code, Paste it in your message.

You can upload unlimited image files up to 2MB each for FREE.

Upload Now is an independent image hosting service and is not associated with this forum.
Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005