<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

raise fruit flies

June 12 2011 at 9:40 PM
eldon voorhees  (Login evoor)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Has anyone ever raise fruit flies or setting out a fruit dish for the hummingbirds.The people who see thier hummingbirds in the morning and evening everyday should try this out when they are most active.

eldon voorhees peoria,ill area

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: raise fruit flies

June 12 2011, 10:25 PM 

Eldon, Usually there are enough tiny insects occuring naturally for the hummingbirds along with nectar from plants and feeders that there isn't any reason to 'grow' our own fruit flies.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

mike
(Login mbleft)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 13 2011, 11:29 AM 

I had that idea too. Didnt work very well.

[linked image]

Mike
Austin Texas
Heat Zone- Hot

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 13 2011, 12:10 PM 

A plate of rotting fruit is something butterfly gardeners like to put out and it works - so does moose pee for that matter but the fruit tray is easier to do - unless you happen to be a hard drinking moose yourself. I remember a discussion I had years ago with the hummingbird bander Mary Gustafson. She noticed that many sites with visiting Rufous in the east had active compost piles. In any case it is something to think about the next time a western hummingbird shows up in the fall.

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

June 13 2011, 12:34 PM 

Now that you mention it Ward, I do recall seeing the plate of fruit at the Butterfly garden in Florida several years ago. I draw enough fruit flies and other bugs around here so I personally don't care to raise my own.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

mike
(Login mbleft)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 13 2011, 12:55 PM 

I may try it again this year. Need to find my custom FF incubator.[linked image]

eldon voorhees
(Login evoor)
Hummingbird lover 2011

MIKE

June 13 2011, 7:17 PM 

You mention about trying friut flies again this year.well,what are your results and do you see the hummingbirds every evening and morning.Do they know the friut flies are hanging around the spoiled fruits.And also the muskeetoes are worse or that is not true.How are you doing this project.

eldon voorhees peoria,ill area

mike
(Login mbleft)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 13 2011, 9:33 PM 

I took a bean can, painted it red, and drilled several 1/2 inch holes in it. Then I put a couple of banana peels in there and hung it up outside. For some reason, I didnt see any flies in there. maybe I'll put a half a banana in it.

Hummers were out there every day.

[linked image]

Mike
Austin Texas
Heat Zone- Hot

This message has been edited by mbleft on Jun 13, 2011 9:35 PM

BobKy
(Premier Login bob2aa)
Forum Owner

Hi Mike

April 14 2012, 10:46 AM 

What was the result of your experiment?

Cheers,Bob
KLEX - USA

Lexington.gif

Nancy Newfield
(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 14 2012, 11:08 AM 

Mike,

Your climate may be too dry to have good luck with raising fruit flies. In any case, a single banana peel will not be sufficient to feed the little maggots. Also, the fruit fly culture needs almost constant attention. It must be warm, not too wet but not too dry, and more spoiled fruit must be added regularly. It won't work well unless it looks and smells nasty. DO NOT KEEP THE CULTURE IN YOUR HOME!

There is almost never a time when we do not have tiny flying bugs of one stripe or another in southern Louisiana. Nevertheless, whenever a piece of fruit goes bad, I drop it in a mesh basket I fashioned out of hardware cloth about 40 years ago. At some point, I added some red ribbon. At best the little flies are consumed by hummers only once in a very long while. Carolina Wrens also like to pick at the basket, probably consuming the maggots. I do not consider the fruit flies a hummer attractant, but rather a very minor accoutrement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
http://www.casacolibri.net/
[linked image]

Patricia
(Login costaricafinca)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 14 2012, 1:22 PM 

Since there is always lots of cheap fruit available here, I eat a lot of it, put some out for the other birds and put the remains in the compost pile. I have never seen a hummer go to the pile and collect the fruit flies. However, while at the farm, a Stachytarpheta mutabilis plant did sprout in my compost and was well used by the hummers, and maybe they collected some insects while there...

sean
(Login Greenthumbzdude)
Hummingbird lover 2011

April 14 2012, 2:20 PM 

just buy some a new jersey tea plant. The plant is known to attract hummers due to the tiny insects that are also attracted to it.

Greg Scott
(Login Greg_Scott)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Alternative

April 15 2012, 12:37 AM 

Not a good idea in bear country:

I've had great luck when camping at bringing certain birds to my campsite, particularly painted redstarts, by pouring blood from my steak onto the ground, where it draws flies. Not fruit flies, but whatever kind of flies you find in the spring in the mountains in Arizona. So the painted redstarts got very bold, and hopped all around the area where the flies were.
20110415_1702_100_3399_gjs.jpg

This message has been edited by Greg_Scott on Apr 15, 2012 12:43 AM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005