<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

DANGER 103 today / will have to replace feeders hourly

June 22 2011 at 12:24 PM

(Login Karen_Calypte)
Hummingbird Member 2006

It's predicted to be 103 today. Most of my feeders will be in the sun about noon. I will have to short fill them and replace them every 1/2 hour. It's a task that has to be done to protect my hummers... 82 Degrees at time of posting, 9:30am California time.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=agua+dulce%2C+ca

Weather Underground PWS KCAAGUAD4

Karen
Southern California

This message has been edited by Karen_Calypte on Jun 22, 2011 12:25 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: DANGER 103 today / will have to replace feeders hourly

June 22 2011, 1:16 PM 

Karen,

Better you than me my dear. I don't think I would venture out of bed, no less out of the house if it was 103 outside. Too hot even for the pool!! Good luck, I know your hummers will appreciate your efforts.[linked image]

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

June 22 2011, 1:37 PM 

I commend you for doing that Karen. Just make sure that you stay cool also.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login NJKris)
Hummingbirders 2010

June 22 2011, 2:25 PM 

uhhh....never mind.

My weather station:

Califon.gif

Dell
(Login quilter2dothan)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 22 2011, 8:25 PM 

Karen....why do you think you have to change so often?
dell

(Login Karen_Calypte)
Hummingbird Member 2006

June 22 2011, 10:16 PM 

Hi Dell, I use mostly those 4 fountain Perky Pet feeders and on days over 100 degrees the sun starts to hit them around 11 or 12 am. We are out in the middle of the boondocks with no shade trees. In the past I had checked them when the weather got really hot and the nectar got pretty warm, maybe not like tongue burning hot, just kinda overly warm. I guess I do it mostly for their comfort. [linked image]

Weather Underground PWS KCAAGUAD4

Karen
Southern California

Dell
(Login quilter2dothan)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 23 2011, 9:12 PM 

I know Karen. You might want to get some input from Nancy on this. Seems to me like the nectar in plants gets plenty hot too, and the hummers keep sipping from them. Who wants extra work?[linked image]
dell

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 23 2011, 10:49 PM 

Hi Karen

I may have missed it but how many hummers do you have at your new location? Just a few or tons. I dont have much shade here either just when the sun starts going to the west and I have two window feeders that will at least get shade then. Everyone has to do what suits them best for their area. I change certain feeders every night whether they need it or not just because its their favorite area.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Elle
(Login Elle-MI)
Hummingbird lover 2011

June 24 2011, 1:05 AM 

Aww, you are so sweet to your hummers. If I were them, I sure will appreciate your effort.

Elle
Eastern Michigan
Zone 5

(no login)

Hot Nectar

June 24 2011, 4:53 AM 

All of my feeders are currently under my patio cover. They get very little sun from about 4-6 PM. The 3 feeders that the racoons knocked down were all in full sun. I did not see nearly as much activity out in the sun. Those feeders were put where I had them last year only about 15 feet off the patio. I personally think the nectar will ferment faster placed in the sun. I also think since the entire surface of a saucer feeder is exposed to air, it will ferment faster (have not proven this). I don't think that temperature will bother the hummers, but chilling the nectar might be a good idea if you are changing it that often.

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 26 2011, 7:14 PM 

Karen,

I can't add anything to this from a scientific standpoint. Certainly, sugar water in a container in full sun will become warmer than the ambient air temperature. I doubt that natural nectar would heat up similarly, but I have not done any testing and I don't have the appropriate instruments to do so. Moreover, I don't know how hot is too hot for a hummer's tongue.

Your dedication to helping the birds in such dire conditions is commendable. We often do hourly feeder-swapping in very cold weather with the a similar goal. Here in Louisiana, we are experiencing some very hot weather, but at present, I don't have any hummers visiting. Only a couple of feeders are out and there are plenty of flowers for them, if they should appear.

Is there any way you can put one feeder in a shaded spot? What will happen, if you need to be away for the day? Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

June 26 2011, 8:04 PM 

Karen
Is there a way that you could attach an umbrella to a shepherds hook and then hang the feeders under the umbrella. I have actually done that in the past.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Current Topic - DANGER 103 today / will have to replace feeders hourly  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005