<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

3 of 4 Robin Eggs Hatched, Video links

July 2 2011 at 4:56 PM
Ken  (Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

Looks like only 3 of the 4 eggs hatched. I do know that she layed the last egg perhaps days after the first, so maybe there is hope.

Here are some videos. I cannot see into the nest, so I take these when the mom and dad fly far away to look for food by raising the phone up above my head. I do see their yellow beaks pop up when mom comes back with food. I need to take a video of that. :c(

Yesterdays video... they sure look funny! I raised the phone back up when I heard the little chirps:

http://s824.photobucket.com/albums/zz166/Ken5string/?action=view&current=robin2.mp4

This morning's video. Getting fluffier. If you look carefully at the baby to the right you can see it's bottom half is still in the egg.

http://s824.photobucket.com/albums/zz166/Ken5string/?action=view&current=robin3.mp4

Took this one a few minutes ago. A kissing sound raised all their heads the first time. Second time only one raised the head. Guess they are tired.

http://s824.photobucket.com/albums/zz166/Ken5string/?action=view&current=robin4.mp4

Mom is getting used to me for sure. She does not fly away if I open the door gently to go out of the house, and she never flies away if I am walking past the nest to go into the house.

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:C)

This message has been edited by 5strings on Jul 2, 2011 5:04 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Pam
(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: 3 of 4 Robin Eggs Hatched, Video links

July 2 2011, 6:08 PM 

Ken,

Having a bluebird trail in a local park, I am used to seeing young'ens throughout the season. Aren't they fun to watch? They look like they have little Mohawks! Enjoy em , they grow up quickly!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

July 2 2011, 6:52 PM 

It sure is fun Pam. This is the first time I have seen baby birds at this stage.

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

July 13 2011, 11:28 PM 

Had three this morning. I came home about 3:30 and there were only two in the nest. About 4 the second one flew out and the mom followed it. Makes me wonder where the first one that fledged was as she was spending a lot of time with the second one. I left the house about 5 and still had one in the nest. Got home at 10 pm and the nest was empty. I would have thought that it would have waited till morning. I just was out with my dog and I saw one standing at the base of one of my plants, do they usually sleep on the ground the first night(s)?

It was a wonderful experience. I am glad that I tied the branches on the bell to aide her in building the nest there. Nature sure is amazing. Both mom and dad did a wonderful job with these babies. They certainly loved these little guys.

The empty nest is perfectly clean from poop and so is the surrounding area. At the beginning the mom and dad would pick up any poop after feeding the babies and carry it away. The last few days the babies would lift their behinds after being fed and they would poop as the mom and dad waited for it. Amazing how they all knew what to do.

Anyways, we will miss them. I hope they are all alright on their first night alone and out of the nest.

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

July 13 2011, 11:50 PM 

That is awsome Ken. I haven't seen any robins now in days and haven't seen any juveniles this year at all. In past years I have always had a few young sometime with mom sometimes alone come into the yard to pick for worms but not this year.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005