<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

best year ever

September 18 2011 at 10:30 PM

(Login noemimontalvo)
Hummingbirder 2008

I always get alot of Hummingbirds this time of year, but this has been my best year ever

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

noemi
south texas

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Carolmb)
Hummingbird Member 2006

best year ever

September 19 2011, 5:57 AM 

Noemi....WOW! How wonderful for you...amazing pictures!

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6
[linked image]

(Login Stormwatcher4)
Hummingbirders 2010

Re: best year ever

September 19 2011, 6:58 AM 

Noemi,
This has been my best year also! I live in suburb northeast of Houston, Texas. I have had a few hummers all year long and a few weeks ago....my population went to over 100. I suspect that the Texas drought and the fact that we are feeding them has helped out alot!

Ken Risenhoover
Kingwood, Texas
USDA Hardiness Zone 9a

Click for Kingwood, Texas Forecast

(Login pauld98)
Hummingbird lover 2011

September 19 2011, 2:22 PM 

Ain't it great! So far my best year also-I think. Not smart enough to use flicker yet, but will post some pics soon.

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

September 19 2011, 9:34 PM 

Noemi,

Based on a rather non-scientific assessment, I believe this southward migration so far is one of the strongest in recent memory. They come through here in waves.

Here at my place, we do not see enormous numbers, but it was very busy here all day. This may be the best year ever for you, but I believe there are a lot more to come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
http://www.casacolibri.net/
[linked image]

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 19 2011, 9:45 PM 

noemi

Wow, very nice . I have to also say it is my best year ever. Did you know I just sent those hummers down to you.[linked image]

I still have a few hummers here but not the big numbers I had a week ago.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Elle
(Login Elle-MI)
Hummingbird lover 2011

September 20 2011, 1:26 AM 

Noemi, Kenneth and Nancy...how wonderful indeed for you folks. Enjoy them for me.

Paul...will eagerly look forward to seeing your photos.

Elle
Eastern Michigan
Zone 5

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

September 20 2011, 9:07 AM 

Well this was my worst year EVER so I am hoping that some of those from the hoards of hummers everyone seems to be experiencing right now will find their way back to western NY and to my garden next spring

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

September 20 2011, 10:00 AM 

I feel bad writing this after Penny's response but I also had my best year ever. I had a lot of hummers around all summer. I didn't even get the typical drop in numbers that I've gotten other years in late May and June. I've lived at my house for 6 years now and the population of birds around here is increasing, possibly because of my gardens. The trees and shrubs I planted are also getting more mature which probably makes the habitat more suitable for them.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 5b/6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Ragley)
Hummingbirder 2008

September 20 2011, 10:08 AM 

We're just across the border from these Texas people and have had our best year ever also.

Nancy
SW Louisiana

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

September 20 2011, 1:46 PM 

Ditto what Gary said. Start to finish, this has been my best year in every way... earlier arrival(although still infrequent visits in May), no early summer pause, and bigger numbers during south migration. No doubt the continued addition of flowers and feeders to the yard has something to do with it. I'm pretty maxed out on flowers now, though, so it will be interesting to see if hummers continue to increase in future years.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login Pennytoo)

September 20 2011, 3:18 PM 

Dan
It is funny that you mentioned that you were maxed out on flowers now. I added three new beds this year but only two were planted out. The third is still being worked on. I thought for sure it would help to draw more hummers but it didn't work for me even though one is in a completely open area.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login nalono)
Hummingbird Member 2005

September 20 2011, 3:21 PM 

Good to see that the two of you are keeping them well fed.

(Login AmyCT)
Hummingbird lover 2011

worst year also

September 21 2011, 8:40 AM 

Here in Southwest CT it was also a bad year... although some posts earlier had none! We had 2 females, at least that is all we ever saw together. And they would NOT share the feeder! they would chase each other off...

In years past, when we had families of hummers, they would often be 2 or 3 at a time at the feeder, and others in the plants nearby. They seem to be gone already to.

I think the hurricane and the tropical storm the next week may have hastened their departure?

(Login Pennytoo)

September 21 2011, 10:00 AM 

Amy
At least I know I am not the only one with hummers lacking this year....It must be true what they say that misery loves company

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

September 21 2011, 10:06 AM 

Penny, Amy,

Perhaps this year's strong southward migration is a good sign that the breeding season was successful and the 2012 nesting season will be a huge success for y'all. We can hope anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
http://www.casacolibri.net/
[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

September 21 2011, 10:11 AM 

I sure do hope so Nancy. Without getting southbound migrants it would be impossible to know if any of this year's hatches will find their way to this area and stick around.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

best year ever

September 23 2011, 1:17 AM 

Noemi,

Wow, amazing and wonderful photos!! [linked image] on such an successful hummingbird season!! That must be very exciting. We have more in our yard that will probably end up in your yard eventually, so get ready.

We certainly don't see such a large number of hummers in our highly urban yard in Madison, Wisconsin, but it's been the best season ever for us too, with more days of hummers and earlier sightings of multiple hummers. The only thing that's been a bit disappointing is that the adult males petered out rather early (we saw our last one on September 2.) We have heard this same thing from so many people in our area too.

Enjoy Noemi and everyone else! Soon winter will be upon us!

[linked image]

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

September 23 2011, 9:22 AM 

Noemi ~ Wow!!! That's Awesome! Congratulations of having such a successful season! I'm amazed by your photos. [linked image]

Penny & Amy ~ I'm in the boat right there with you. The most I've seen in my yard at a given time this year is just two, and I have not seen a single male this year. sad.gif I feel like I've got the choice hummer plants and am doing everything right now, but I live in the burbs with no woods nearby. Perhaps they just aren't interested in this area (tho I don't know why!).

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b

(Login Pennytoo)

September 23 2011, 11:58 AM 

Caro
If those burbs are good enough for you, they should be for hummers too...LOL! I certainly can relate to how you feel. I am also in a suburban area but with lots of very mature trees surrounding me and woods just a little beyond that.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login pauld98)
Hummingbird lover 2011

September 23 2011, 12:46 PM 

I'm jealous as HE__ over your birds. I did have about 15 or so this morning, but not near the numbers you have. I am sure all my birds are just passing thru now and the numbers are about the same for the past month. I might get 20-30 after a rain, but not much rain. Put more pics up and let us know when your numbers change. I'm sure I will have no birds when you still have plenty.

(Login Celtguy)
Brugmansia Moderator - Emeritus

September 23 2011, 2:17 PM 

Paul, I'd be elated to have 15 hummers! I feel somewhat compensated by the fact that I have a few Anna's all year around. But I don't think I've ever seen more that 4 in my yard at one time and it's usually more like 1 or 2...somethings 3 & that seems like good activity to me!

I wouldn't say that hummer numbers this year have been better or worse than normal, but it seems like I've had less feeding on some types of flowers they've been attracted to in the past. I can count on regular use of 2 salvias - Cerro Potosi and San Luis. Hot Lips gets a little less than usual & there's only some usage of Black & Blue (that's always been the case here). The Chilean Glory Vine is currently popular. I've seen very little attention paid to Cuphea schumannii, even tho it's covered in blooms and sits in a prominent location.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

(Login birdgardner)
Hummingbird Member 2006

September 23 2011, 6:27 PM 

It was a same old year here, one resident female, and just a few migrants, no more than two seen at a time. This year, no feeders, just flowers alone.

Lisa
Central NJ/ z6b
Heat zone 5/6

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 25 2011, 11:07 AM 

Ditto , best year ever. Whoever thought I would have several days of 30+ hummers certainly not me . Most likely will not see a season like it again but like many others who enjoyed the same fortune I shall remember and remember and remember.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Stormwatcher4)
Hummingbirders 2010

September 28 2011, 8:05 PM 

We are having such a terrible drought in Texas....at least in the Houston area. I have had less than 1" of rain in the last 10 months at my house. This fact, plus the fact that I have reached a total of 10 feeders through out my back yard, I believe has helped me see such increased hummer populations. These guys just don't have as many options as they normally would. I just hope they remember my yard and come back and visit me next year.

P.S. I am back up to 1 gallon/day of nectar. I thought I might have enough sugar, but I think I am gonna have to buy another 25# bag of sugar to finish off the season.

Best season ever by far!

I wish everyone could get the numbers I have been getting. It's free entertainment just watching these guys.
Well.....maybe not free....but it is cheap! LOL!

You know......you think it would get old........watching them eat and fight.......fight and eat.....but there something so peaceful to sitting out on the patio in the morning with coffee in hand watching the morning kaos of the first flooding wave of hummers. Just never gets old to me! They are such amazing creatures!

Ken Risenhoover
Kingwood, Texas
USDA Hardiness Zone 9a

Click for Kingwood, Texas Forecast

(Login MikeBons)
Hummingbird lover 2011

September 29 2011, 12:18 PM 

Wowzaaa that's awesome. I can only dream of having that many.

Mike

Mike Bons

My Hummingbird Gallery:
http://mikebons.zenfolio.com/p1019974167

Current Topic - best year ever  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005