<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

David kemp cannas attracting my hummingbirds....

September 26 2011 at 6:21 AM
Carol  (Login Carolmb)
Hummingbird Member 2006

These lovely cannas just keep on blooming and are a tall red beacon that my hummingbirds have been fighting over for the past week. I have about four zooming here and there - this video only catches one but he managed to stay there longer than a few seconds before being chased.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Carolmb/?action=view&current=Autumnnighthummers-9-24-11004.mp4

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: David kemp cannas attracting my hummingbirds....

September 26 2011, 7:00 AM 

Carol,
Your Robert Kemp Cannas look terrific! Not one of my cannas bloomed this year. I hope I don't lose the rhizomes over th winter since I won't have any seeds to start new ones next year. I am going to try and keep the rhizomes in the mud room this winter since they freeze in the garage.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Carol
(Login Carolmb)
Hummingbird Member 2006

David kemp cannas....

September 27 2011, 6:25 AM 

Yes Penny these are my signal flowers that I don't ever want to be without...the hummers do love them. And for what its worth I would definitely bring your rhizomes into the mud room cause when they freeze and get all mushy they wont' be any good. Mine are on their 4th or 5th year and boy do they spread each year...I have lots to share with friends. If you want I will be glad to send you some seeds to have in case your rhizomes don't come back. Just send me an e-mail.

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Carolmb on Sep 27, 2011 6:28 AM

Sigrid
(Login ronsig)
Hummingbird lover 2011

September 27 2011, 6:49 PM 

I am very lucky. My neighbour grows these beautiful cannas on the side of the house where I can see them. The hummingbirds here love them too.
My neighbour does all the work, and I get the perfect view.

Sigrid

jp
(Login nalono)
Hummingbird Member 2005

September 28 2011, 3:04 PM 

Glad that you have had such a wonderful September with the hummers.

Linda V
(Login LindaCT)
Hummingbird lover 2009

September 28 2011, 3:09 PM 

Carol,

What a cutie that hummer is. The cannas are beautiful. I've had bad luck growing them the past 2 years and I sure do miss them.  I'll just enjoy looking at yours! Thanks for posting the video.

Linda V
Connecticut zone 6b

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005